SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorothyct

Did you match finish of pendants/lights to your cabinet hardware?

dorothyct
16 years ago

I just ordered my lights - they are a weathered iron finish - shades have some yellow/amber going on. All the cabinet hardware I ordered is brushed nickel and appliances are stainless. The granite (seafoam green) has a lot of colors going on (including yellows/black) and the lights looked nice with it - just not sure if it's going to drive me batty that they do not match the hardware, etc. The cabinets are an off-white-ish color. The same fixtures I ordered also came in satin nickel but any shade other than white really did not look nice with the nickel and a plain white glass shade is not what I want.

Does anyone have pics of this combo of colors? White-ish cabinets with nickel hardware and lights of a different finish?

Dorothy

Comments (24)

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Yes, I am getting pendants with brushed nickel finish to go with the rest of the stuff, but also because I prefer that finish. Only YOU know whether it will drive you batty. There is no rule about matching finishes.

• holligator
    16 years ago

It sounds lovely to me. I think it would only look odd if the finishes were reversed (brushed nickel light fixture with weathered iron cabinet hardware). Weathered iron feels right on a light fixture, so I don't think it will stand out at all. I flipped through some of the FKB slide show and saw many examples of fixtures with a different finish from the cabinet hardware.

Like raynag, I went with all brushed nickel, but it was only because the fixtures I liked had a brushed nickel shade. Go with what you like.

• Related Discussions

Do cabinet pulls/knobs have to match your faucet finish?

Q

Comments (9)
    Definitely ok to mix finishes. We also have chrome Delta Leland faucets in some of our baths. Towel bars, robe hooks, and toilet paper holder are chrome. Light fixtures, cabinet hardware, and door hardware are ORB. In the master we have chrome Moen Monticello faucets then everything else is bronze (light fixtures, towel bars,robe hooks, toilet paper holder, cabinet hardware, door hardware). Here is one of my inspiration pics with mixed finishes: [traditional bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by phoenix kitchen and bath Affinity Kitchens HTH, Good luck!
    ...See More

Where did you buy cabinet hardware? Should finish match faucets?

Q

Comments (2)
    I can't remember which website I used for hardware, but it was really inexpensive and surprisingly nice. Could have been Knobs4less or Myknobs. I couldn't get some of the plainer knobs I wanted online, went to many stores (specialized bath stores) looking, finally found them at Target of all places. I have brushed nickel faucets and coppery orb light fixtures and pulls. I think the mix looks fine (better than fine, actually).
    ...See More

Question about pendant light finish 'matching' rest of finishes

Q

Comments (2)
    kellienoelle, I had a similar realization when I was choosing pendants. I was looking at my kitchen as a self-contained room where all the metals were either stainless or pewter. I have an oil-rubbed bronze pendant over my dining table, in full view and spitting distance from where the pendants hang. I ended up getting black metal on my pendants (the ORB looks black) and it looks like it's supposed to be that way.
    ...See More

Does your lighting finish match your hardware?

Q

Comments (14)
    I like a mix. Our old house had ORB cabinet hardware, stainless plumbing and glass with polished nickel fixtures. It looked great together and was one of the reasons that the new owners (our new friends) loved the kitchen. This remodel will have PN, BN, and stainless. We're tying two rooms together and the FR has BN hardware where the kitchen will have PN with stainless appliances. gothaml, I look forward to seeing your lighting! I'm betting it's going to look wonderful.
    ...See More
  • mrslimestone
    16 years ago

I don't have your finishes but I didn't match my finishes.

I didn't match the hardware to the pendants. I used brass for my pendants and a black/crystal knob. I also have stainless appliances.

I think stainless in a kitchen is almost a neutral so you can get away with ignoring it in most cases.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear that Holligator thinks it would look odd ;-), because I have satin nickel schoolhouse shades in the kitchen and will have weathered nickel/pewter hardware, about just the opposite of what you plan. I figure they're both in the silver/gray family, so will be fine. So far, the cabinet hardware isn't on, but the lights have been up with our door hardware, which are Emtek's 'Satin Stainless,' that looks like iron, and I think they look great together. We have stainless appliances and chrome faucets. In the rest of the house, we'll have the same door hardware, of course, the same color cabinet hardware where needed, but mostly, black lighting fixtures. I thought the black would be too stark in my lighter colored kitchen, so chose the satin nickel instead.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

No, we didn't. I have antique pewter hardware and our ceiling light is ORB, but looks black. We have tones of black throughout the kitchen so the ORB works. As for the pewter, all of our appliances are SS, along with the sink and faucet, so it works there too. No need to match all finishes, as long as they COMPLIMENT each other well. And ours do.

• spinmom
    16 years ago

dorothyct, I have the same combination, brushed nickel hardware, stainless appliances, and a stainless faucet. I love the way it looks (my fixtures are similar to yours with reddish/yellowish shades with a weathered iron chain,etc.) but I will say that I have a friend who has been very helpful with the design elements of my kitchen and she is not crazy about how the pendants look within the kitchen (she thinks I should have stayed with the brushed nickel).

• ksfaustin
    16 years ago

I don't have your color combination, but my pendants do not match my hardware. I wanted ORB pendants, but ORB hardware didn't look good on my red cherry cabinets. I ended up going with Top Knobs "Black Iron" hardware - which is sort of an aged pewter finish. Like Debbie_2006, I think it ties in my SS appliances with the pendants and the black glaze on my cabinets. I really strugged with this decision, because deep down in my heart, I'm a very matchy-matchy person. But I'm really happy with the way everything turned out.

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

I have brushed nickel lights with milk glass shades, SS AND some white appliances, wild granite with strong patterns of creamy whites, greys, anthracite, mica, etc... My cabinets are white with drama glazing, so to speak. I bought over 40 knobs and the ONLY knob that looked right in this kitchen was a rather bland, textured, iron knob with some flecking of gold in it, which you cannot see unless you are right up on it. It looks best with my stone counters.

All of my teens, my man-child, and pregnant woman-child also like the choices for knobs and lights, and my DH approves. It just works.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Fern,

I have ORB light fixtures and handles, and a SS sink, and what bugs me the most is my faucet which is supposed to be SS, looks like what I consider brushed nickel- but I don't think anyone else but me would notice the difference, except for the TKO here of course! :>)

BTW, do you have any idea what BKO stands for, some people have started using that on top of TKO- I can't figure it out! :>(

• dorothyct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all. I think that I'll just have to see how it all looks when put together and if I have to pay a restocking fee, then I have to pay a restocking fee. I was so drawn to the weathered iron fixtures - so I hope it all will work.

At this point in time I am feeling so exhausted from decision making. It's these last minute choices that are not getting the time that so many others got. Maybe it's all proportionate to the price paid for each thing......or maybe I'm just sick of making decisions.

:)

• plants4
    16 years ago

How about BEYOND kitchen obsessed?

• brunosonio
    16 years ago

Nope, we mixed finishes. Brushed stainless pulls/knobs, and concrete pendant lights (4" orbs, Tech Lighting, pretty cool, comes in 4 colors of stained concrete, with halogen bulbs, all on dimmers).

Do what you want to do, and what your good sense of taste tells you looks good :)

• ashlander
    16 years ago

I have stainless pulls and a stainless faucet. My two pendant lights (rods) over my island look like ORB, but is really "mahogany," a reddish tint to iron (Hubbarton Forge).

I thought stainless pendant rods would look too cold. I am pleased with my choice. Until I read your question, I had forgotten that I too had agonized over the finish of the pendants. I think you will be pleased with your decision.

• jlee
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I am struggling with cabinet hardware decision and can definitely use some advice. This is going to be our first time buying all stainless steel appliances (fridge, stove, hood, and dish washer). The new cabinets will be made out of maple. The sink will be black. I cannot decide what finish we should have for the cabinet hardware. If I go with stainless steel or chrome, then there are still several finish styles to choose from: brushed, brightened, polished, matte. I worry that, despite the close color theme, all the metal color (the cabinet hardware, the appliances, and the pendant light fixtures) will still come across as incoherent. Any suggestion as how to strategize these purchasing decisions?

• tkbalt
    16 years ago

We just ordered pendants in satin nickel to go with cherry cabinets, SS appliances, satin nickel drawer hardware, satin nickel window hardware (Pella), Stainless / softblack Grohe Ladylux Cafe faucet. Sink is Franke fireclay undermount matte black.

We start demo in 2 weeks. Hoping all these finishes work together. Buy you are right - lots of choices and decisions. We are struggling with Granite selection at this point......

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

Wow... glad to see that I am not the only one that obsessed with mixing metal finishes. My Dad made 3 stained glass sections for my kitchen. They have copper metal in them, but we just didn't want to do copper everything. We ordered a cut glass door for our remodel and it has brushed nickel metal on it and we fell in love with it on first sight. We are going with brushed nickel cab pulls, black appliances, SS faucet (very close to the cab pulls tho), and the light fixtures are a black/brown finished metal. I looked and looked for brushed nickel light fixtures, but they all somehow seemed to look too modern and cold for the overall warm tones of our home. I can only hope that my mixed selections all meld together somehow. Good luck, Dorothy, seems that sometimes in kitchen remodels, there's just no "right answer" - no rhyme nor reason - so just go with what feels right FOR YOU.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

tkbalt: check out Emerald Pearl granite. That's what we went with and we have cherry cabs (med. brown stain called briarwood), satin nickel pulls and the black colored Blanco silgranite sink. Starting demo tomorrow. (whoopie!)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

BKO was a typo I made in a thread that seems to have caught on. I meant to say TBO (totally bathroom obsessed) but there was a two year old pulling on me, and I hadn't slept, and BKO came out instead. For some reason freaks who are TKO seem to understand that BKO (which makes no sense) means Bath LOL

I have mixed finishes in all of my rooms (because I'm BKO AND TKO LOL) In my master bath I have antique gold knobs and gold tone lighting (antique stuff from the 1920's that I restored). The lighting also has browns involved in the design and the faucets are all ORB. The towel bars, hooks etc are all ORB as well. All of the finishes are what I would call "warm" in nature and the colors flow. Chrome would look terrible in that room.

In the kitchen I have a SS countertop, fridge, DW and TC. My sinks are SS and the faucets (bar, main and pot filler) are all chrome. My lighting is a mix of antique pieces which have both aluminum (or antique pewter color) and a soft gold highlight on them with amber shades. My stove has both silver and gold on the handles (Lacanche) and my knobs are antique pewter. My other counters are granite with amber running through it prominently and the backsplash is amber as well as the glass in the cabinets. So in that room, I am mixing both gold and silver (warm and cool) tones.

In the family bath I have a mix of chrome and brushed nickle. The faucets are chrome, as is the toilet handle and then the other pieces are brushed as are the knobs.

The powder room has gold or brass fixtures and knobs.

I hate having everything exactly the same except for the most modern of rooms (where that uniformity becomes important in taking individual elements out of the design).

So the answer is....LOL you can probably do anything. :oP Does that help???

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

I didn't match my lighting to my cabinet hardware. Not that there is anything wrong with matching but its not my thing.

I have antique brass pendants and ORB/Crystal hardware.

• jlee
    16 years ago

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your choices!! I think I have plenty ideas from this forum to discuss with our builder. jlee

• iwantakitchen
    16 years ago

I have antique pewter hardware and light fixtures. The appliances are stainless. Faucet is brushed nickel.

• dee_01
    16 years ago

I am so happy I found this forum. I have been making myself sick of this very same thing!

I have a tannish tile floor with mahogany cabinets and black granite counter tops. They are installing a SS sink and I will have all SS appliances. I want to have brushed nickel for the sink faucet, but I am worried that that finish up against the SS sink will not look right or am I obsessing!

Does this really matter?

I was also planning on having the cabinet hardware to match the sink faucet. I found pendants with a black iron finish and a creamy/brownish shade that looks good with the tan tile I picked out. I think this will look okay, but the matchy matchy in me is making me doubt myselt..Do you think this combo would look nice?

• supra92
    16 years ago

ksfaustin -- thank you for mentioning those Top Knobs "black iron" hardware! I checked those out at AbsoluteHome and they are beautiful! Will likely go with the button-faced knobs for the upper cabinets, ie these:

{{!gwi}}

That is beautiful, and quite classy. And agreed, will go well with stainless appliances, which I do have. The kitchen is white cabinets with Minas soapstone.

Do you have any suggestions for similar matches for a pendant light over the sink, plus overhead ceiling lights (perhaps some circular flourescent light fixtures)?

Trying to determine if I should go similar antique pewter/iron on the kitchen faucet set too, or just go normal stainless to match the sink and appliances...

Open to all suggestions!

Cheers,
    Supra92