SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sophiesmom08

What's your favorite BM paint colors?

sophiesmom08
15 years ago

I've always loved and used Benj Moore paint. The spring fever has taken hold and I am planning some paint projects (kitchen, laundry room, sunroom, and living room). My DH thinks I'm NUTS! What are your favorite BM paint colors? Please share your room pics to help inspire me.

Colors used right now are: Decatur Buff, Waterbury Cream, Sherwood Green, Putnam Ivory, Hawthorne Yellow and Wilmington Tan

Colors I am considering: Princeton Gold, Chestertown Buff, Hancock Gray, Rosemary Sprig, and Dry Sage

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Comments (84)

• tfm1134
    15 years ago

We just painted our guestroom Gray Owl and I love the color

• boystown
    15 years ago

mldao, love your chair covers----where did you find them?

• Related Discussions

Your favorite BM ceiling and trim colors?

Q

Comments (10)
    I just finished up a room with Timid White and I like it a lot. I don't like bright whites at all. I usually go with very very off white creamy (bone white), but this room I wanted something whiter. I tested Linen White and found it too white for my taste, even though the color swatch cards of the two were incredibly close. Timid white is white enough to appear as white, not cream, but softer than bright white. It is off-white enough that when I first put it up against the bright white primed walls, I was afraid it was too off-white, but it wasn't when the walls were painted (a camel tan color). One thing about (almost) white trim I am finding out is that it is hard to select outlet covers. The white ones are too white (and make the almond outlets stand out). The almond outlet covers go with the outlets but do not go with the trim. I was lucky to find some outlet covers that were in between and they are okay with each (but match neither). I do trim in Satin. Also, cloud White is a popular white too. I don't have personal experience with it though.
    ...See More

SW and BM paint - share your favorite colors

Q

Comments (0)
    We are building a new home, we have picked cabinets, flooring, knobs, faucets, etc.... its all coming together. I'm looking at paint colors now. I'm considering SW Blonde for foyer/dining room/Living room (do you have this- if so please share your pics)... We are also considering BM Navajo White for ceiling and trim (We can repaint if needed later but thought it would be easiest to pick one color for these main areas).. Do you have this color for ceiling or trim? Pics? Our family room has 20foot ceilings. I am considering a darker paint like BM Tawny (deep rich color) but i'm conserned - how will this rich/deep color look in such a big room ? (21x20) with the high ceilings. Does anyone have pics to share of such a big room with your color? We do have lots of light from windows in this room. Love to hear what SW and BM colors you love-- share pics if you have ! Thank you
    ...See More

What's your favorite 'soft' white...BM?

Q

Comments (10)
    I went to BM and got several of their off-white color strips. Looked at where they were placed in relation to each other on their display of off-whites. Picked some strips close together where I liked a lot of them, and some strips farther apart in different directions--just so I could see the whole range more clearly. There are a lot of white! Once home with them, it was easy to see which tended toward gray, which to tan, which to cream, and which to a clearer, lemony yellow. I'm looking for a creamy white. I held my color strips against other off-white things here at home and that gives a great comparison method, too. Once I pick a couple, I'll go get samples and paint some scraps of drywall. Right now, I like their color strip that ranges from the lightest/least saturated "Mountain peak white" to the deeper/most saturated "Alpine white". I'm liking "cotton balls" on there awfully much. I'd love to know what you end up picking.
    ...See More

what’s your favorite off white paint color?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all, what’s your favorite off white paint color and why ?
    ...See More
  • mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

fwiw I wish to make a correction; while looking for colors for a friend I realized that I'd remembered wrong: Richmond Gray is Flowering Herbs, not Baby Turtle. I mixed it up because I considered BT for a while but went with the FH/RG because of our dark, dark northern exposure room.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

mldao, also want to say that I hadn't checked this thread in a while and I am in *love* with the Texas Leather color! Have to get a sample today. Must. Powder room here we come :)

• mldao
    15 years ago

gagesgranny: I'm not sure if you saw that I answered your shout out post to me so if not here's the information. They're parson chairs with stained wood legs and custom made slipcoves. I purchased the table, chairs, sideboard and mirror ten years ago from our local design center through a store called Verandah. I think you can purchase chairs similar to mine from Ballard Designs.

Flyleft: I love Texas Leather. I couldn't stand the pink undertones of Davenport Tan in my powder room and tried living with it for 2 months and just snapped. I like this color so much I only wish I had another room in my house to paint.

• lbcannata
    15 years ago

Question for those who have used Chestertown Buff, what is a good compliment color for an adjacent room? Our dining room is Chestertown; trying to figure out a color for our living room. Our couch is dark green/grey and our rug is pottery barn chelsea rug with lots of red. Thanks for your ideas!

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

Great topic - I did not get the answer I needed from my own questions but I think I found the master paint color I was looking for here!

Cashmere Gray and Palladian Blue are two I must check out!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

mldao I love Palladian Blue. I have it in my new Dining Room. On Monday I'm getting white cafe shutters put up. Actually I'm getting ALL my window treatments. HURRAY. All photos are of a newly purchased cottage WITHOUT furniture etc. Still very much work in progress. Anyway here's my palladian blue:

And Filtered Sunlight:

Van Alen Green:

• Marcia Thornley
    15 years ago

I love Lenox Tan & Shaker Beige.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

That Texas Leather photo is beautiful! TL is pretty dark though, in fact, the Ben Moore decorator saw my Farrow & Ball Mouse's Back strip and told me it was close to Texas Leather. Must be why it tempted me so much.
    I have Baby Turtle, which is a very warm, browned, green, in much of my home. I have Northampton Putty (looks slightly olive on the wall) in my dining room, and Alexandria Beige, (looks deep sage) on my bathroom walls. My daughter says I can't stay away from the greens to save my life! But I keep thinking these shades are more brown or Grey. They just have the green undertones.
    This week, I painted my entry in Dry Sage. It's gorgeous. It looks green at times, closer to green/blue at night, and with a gray undertone. Very pretty. It would look wonderful with most any accent color.
    Baby Turtle

Red

• mldao
    15 years ago

flyleft: Did you ever get the Texas Leather sample? If so, what did you think of it? I like it more and more each day.

buddyrose: My oldest DD and I sampled at the very least 20 different paint colors before finding Palladian Blue. She absolutely loves it. My youngest DD's favorite color is pink but after seeing her big sis's room she wanted her room a similar shade. We ended up re-painting younger DD's room Wedgewood Gray with Seafoam ceilings and it's a beautiful combination.

red: My PR has been a major PIA from day one. It has no windows and every color I put in there came out with a pink undertone until Texas Leather. I wish I found this color sooner. My neighbor painted her son's room this color after seeing it in my PR. His bedroom gets a ton of natural light and Texas Leather looks just as fantastic. BTW, I'll have to check out F&B Mouse's Back. Just what I need another color to become obessed with. LOL

• almagh
    15 years ago

My favorites are:

Ladyfinger - My last house I painted my dining rm, living rm, and entry in it. Beautiful.

Rich Cream - I just painted my current entry in it.

Wasabi - Great in my moroccan inspired sunroom. Affinity color.

Wind Chime - I just painted a guest room in it. It goes great with oak furniture. Affinity color.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Mldao, that photo of Northampton Putty looks the way I expected it to look on my walls, judging from the chip and the color of the paint dripping down the side of the can. But mine turned out to have a definite greenish cast in my painted room. Pretty, but not the warm tan that I thought I was getting.

Red

• tfm1134
    15 years ago

I just painted my 1/2 bath Stonington Gray (no pics yet) but I love, love, love this color! It is a beautiful true soft gray that goes great with the SW Whole Wheat in the hall and burgandy accents. I also just used Gray Owl in a spare room and it's great but not like Stonington Gray. can you tell how much I love it?!

• vavavoom
    15 years ago

great thread--bump!!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

Here's Lenox Tan in my kitchen. My house is STILL being renovated. The kitchen is NOT done. Missing cabinet pulls, a door etc. But I don't care. I love the whole process. I only use BM paint

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

The Filtered Sunlight looked too yellow in my FR with lots of east windows. Considered Vanilla Ice Cream (with Mint Chocolate Chip for other rooms - art professor DB picked up but I think he just liked the names LOL). We finally went with Navajo White

{{gwi:1448174}}

and Thornton Sage with Antique Jade on the back wall of the DR and in the LR. DH wanted Antique Jade everywhere but I thought it might be too dark for stairwell/hallway so went up one to the Th. Sage. But I love the Jade, maybe when we repaint we'll do everything that color!

Only thing is, these two colors always show as blue on the screen!

Antique Jade (back wall of DR)

LR

Thornton Sage (this pic doesn't do it justice, everyone who walks into my house asks what this color is - my mom wants to paint her hallway this color)

I love Summer (intense blue) and White Satin (light blue) in my bathroom but don't think I have a pic.

Horizon looks nice in Ds's room with blue carpet but not so good in my room with green

{{gwi:1504779}}

I was thinking of using Malton, Everlasting, and Sierra Hills to paint faux subway tile in my Navajo White kitcheh, thinking it would look like this

Oh, last night I was reading December 2008 Architectural Digest, they did a new (traditional) style house in MD and it was all white ceilings with off-white (huge!) trim and pale pastel walls. Acutally, they said they were pastel ("a palette of light shades varying from creamy gold to pinky beige to a whisper of celadon" - all custom-mixed by a "New York-based paint genius") but they all looked cream to me with bright white ceilings.

Someone said (on trends thread?) that they have been seeing white walls in magazines lately.

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

We recently painted our kitchen using Lapland by BM Aura. Came out geat it is in the sage family close to a pea soup green. We looked at a lot of different colors and this worked best w/ our kitchen.

• momto4boysinfl
    14 years ago

Hi. New here. I have Fernwood (a very soft sage green) in my kitchen and everyone just loves it. We painted our dining room Stuart Gold, but it's an obnoxious gold, so I plan on repainting it soon (if I can convince my husband!).. trk65--where did you get the rug in your living/family room (the one with the red couch)? I have a red couch and have been looking for a rug and really like yours! Thanks :)

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love the BM Bone White in my family room, kitchen, hallways and spare room used as a business storage room. I wish I went with a bright white or BM Rich Cream in my laundry room instead. I love the BM Navajo White in my Master Bedroom. The BM Linen White in my home office is nice but since living in apartments for so many years and with white walls and no contrast with the trim in those apartments, I wish I went with BM Bone White or something warmer for my home office. Since the painter did such a bad job painting and did not finish some areas, I will be repainting the two room home office when I do my floors.

The BM Philadelphia Cream I like in the daytime in my other small spare bedroom but at night, it is too yellow for me and it is not a warm yellow.

• megsy
    14 years ago

My favorite color in the fandeck is Georgian Brick. I absolutely LOVE that color.

My other favorites:
    Shelburne Buff
    Chestertown Buff
    Hancock Grey
    Wythe Blue
    Davenport Tan
    Brighton Rock Candy
    Sussex Green
    Palace White

Here are some examples from our old house (haven't taken any pics of the new one because it's still a work in progress):
    Shelburne Buff:

Chestertown Buff:

Raspberry Truffle:

• trk65
    14 years ago

momto4boysinfl-
    That rug is an older Pottery Barn rug-the original name was
    'Bronwyn'.
    We actually bought it on Ebay. We had been eyeing it but didn't have the money to buy it until after it was discontinued. My wife was DETERMINED to get one, so she searched online and found one that claimed to be new in the plastic on Ebay. We took a chance and sure enough it showed up as described-it had never been unrolled.
    I have seen them pop up from time to time on Craigslist and Ebay. We would like to get a smaller one for our front hall. It's now in a room that is painted BM Weekend Getaway 473 with more neutral furniture and it works just as well in there.I think if the house was on fire and we could only bring one item with us (other than living things of course) it would probably be that rug.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Has anyone painted Rockport Gray?

Red

(I wonder if it stays gray, goes more brown, or what?)

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Are you thinking about your kitchen Red? I was thinking about your kitchen!

• cathy1955
    14 years ago

I agree with the others who like Rich Creme. Raspberry Truffle is also a fav, but too intense for a small bedroom. I have used Litchfield Gray, no one seems to talk about this one. I reflects as gray or brown, depending on the time of day.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I just love the BM Rich Cream and may repaint my laundry room with the color. My home office does not look good with gold colors due to the putty file cabinets but the cherry desk looks nice with gold colors.

Any other favorites or pictures?

• bepeace
    14 years ago

My absolute favorite BM color is Pale Almond. It is a perfect neutral, both cool and warm, if that's possible. By the way, ttodd, your home is stunning!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

bepeace, any pics of a room in the BM Pale Almond? Thank you.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Sophiesmom, did you ever post photos of your dry Sage sunroom?
    And has anyone actually painted Horizon Gray or Gray Horse?

Red

• bepeace
    14 years ago

Sophiesmom,
    Sorry, I just got back to this site and saw your question. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the BM Pale Almond - only a dresser (because I recently moved) - and that showed up very light, and not a good representation. Picking paint colors is so difficult! Definitely worth it to buy the tiny jars or even the small cans and paint a section or a piece of foam board. Good luck!

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Wilmington Tan

Dijon

This is a great thread.....keep 'em coming!

• ambitiousbeginner
    14 years ago

I just painted my Library and Living Room with BM Lady Finger (Paint Color #1045). Just gorgeous!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Ambitiousbeginner, I would love to see BM Lady Finger on your walls... please....

• kpmn
    12 years ago

Looking to paint my bedroom weekend getaway, BM#473 and would like a coordinating bathroom color other than aganthus which is one shade lighter than wkend getaway.
    Also wondering if I can use a blue'ish greenish color or does it have to be green?
    Any help would be appreciated, have to make a decision by next week!

• vsudarsan
    12 years ago

I love color! I personally think color makes a big difference in any room.. check my blog when you guys get a chance: http://interiordesignprinciples.blogspot.com/
    Look fwd to your comments!
    Vidya

Here is a link that might be useful: Interior Design Principles

• Elizabeth W
    11 years ago

This is a great reference thread. I've looked at it many times. Adding my pics . . .

Benjamin Moore Crisp Khaki

Benjamin Moore Bradstreet Beige

Benjamin Moore Litchfield Gray

Benjamin Moore Jackson Tan

Benjamin Moore Georgetown Pink Beige above moulding and Benjamin Moore Somerville Red below moulding

Paris Rain

Wheeling Neutral

Pismo Dunes above moulding and in the boxes, Manchester Tan below moulding outside the boxes

Revere Pewter

Ashley Gray

Manchester Tan

Sandlot Gray

Smokey Taupe

• bumblebee728
    11 years ago

I'm working right now with BM's Cedar Grove and love it . I want the BR next to it to be a dusty grayish blue, maybe with slight purple undertones. Do you think this is a good idea? Any color suggestions? Also, need color for hallway that links to both rooms. Would love to hear what you all have to say! Thanks!

• autismmom
    11 years ago

I don't really have a favorite as I've just started using BM paint, but being I didnt see pics of these colors I thought I'd share. Back wall is pale avocado side wall is westom flax

• autismmom
    11 years ago

wall behind china cabinet is rattan

• nan03
    11 years ago

Quiet Moments is a really nice soft blue/grey color. Love it for my master bedroom.

• Rudebekia
    11 years ago

Kennebunkport green and Decatur Buff are two favorites.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I have Flowering Herb in a kitchen and a bedroom and Baby Turtle in a small bathroom. They are older colors that have been around for a few years, but I still love the Flowering Herb - I think it is the "perfect" earthy green.

I am getting tired of the Baby Turtle.

The current popular BM colors seem to be in the greys and blue/grey families. Revere Pewter seems to be the hottest thing in town these days. I love these colors also, but they would never work in my house due to lighting/decor, etc.

• sreedesq
    11 years ago

Great thread! I have learned so many colors from it! I am thinking of use Dove White as a trim color. My color palette will be warmer, but neutral in eggshell. I want a slightly different color for trim than the ceiling flat. I would love opinions on Dove White or other trim colors. I heard one painter express frustration with the coverage of Dove White - any other bad experiences? We will be painting ourselves. Thanks!

• tfitz1006
    10 years ago

My favorites are shelbourne buff which I have in a sunroom, used to have in LR also but I decided to lighten up with Philadelphia cream. I also love grey mirage, beautiful grey green in my kitchen. I have ladyfinger in my basement and I love that.

Does anyone know the answer to the question about oriental silk? BM folks said they can still make it but that rich cream is very close.

• Kirk
    8 years ago

I like Apple blossom, lilly pad and Palladian Blue.

• Janet Louise
    7 years ago

Large family room with fireplace wall, painted Weekend Getaway, lovely green color. We have a bar corner, across the room diagonally from the fireplace which we want to paint with an accent color. Any ideas?

• User
    7 years ago

I am really liking that Natural Cream. It has enough color to have interest but it is very subdued. I am going ot consider it for my entryway and hallway upstairs which are currently papered with a very lovely tone on tone stripe of ivory shades. The paper is now a little over 20 years old and showing signs of its age. I honestly loved the paper but I think painting is the way to go and I think this color will be perfect- . (just when I thought I was aware of all the good colors too).

• pippiep
    7 years ago

We used Ice Cap in my bathroom, and plan to use it in the downstairs powder room once we get around to stripping the wallpaper.

Mascarpone is a wonderful creamy white for trim. It's in the kitchen now, but we're going to use it everywhere in the house except the dining room. We chose Vanilla Ice Cream for the trim and wainscoting in there, which so far looks nice but only has one coat.

• Carol Faber
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

After living with the (boring) neutrals that were in the house when we moved here 15 years ago, we just finished painting all of our upstairs rooms and I love all the colors. Hard to pick a favorite, as each was chosen to go with the light and furnishings in that particular room. What I probably love most is the Atrium White trim and how it plays nicely with all of the somewhat intense colors we chose. All have LRVs around 30: Louisburg Green, Van Cortland Blue, Richmond Gold, Summerdale Gold are all lovely. In the bath, which gets lots of western light and has bright white fixtures and shower curtain, we went more intense with Philipsburg Blue. I couldn't be happier.