SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

Travertine in the 'versaille pattern of install' what do U think

piper101
13 years ago

Hi All, I need some decorating advice regarding what goes with what? I'll explain:

We're doing the entire downstairs flooring in med.tone handscraped & distressed maple in all the areas EXCEPT for the wet areas of the kitchen, utility and bathroom. My style of decorating is cottage and country french. The kitchen has white/off white cabinets and appliances and light to med. green (costa esmeralda) granite. Painted walls and floral motif.

The 2 different floors will only touch at 2 pocket doors and 1 other door that won't be seen (down a hall way)..

I'm sick of looking and my brain is fried regarding this issue. I love the look of the versaille pattern for travertine or other and since with Murphy's law I just can't do the wood in the wet areas because others in our model have had kitchen slab leaks (so far not us, knock on wood)...

I've looked at porcelain/ceramic (look like wood planks) and other tile thinking that is important but just can't find what would work, my husband is favoring travertine and I just keep coming back to this versaille pattern due to that country french type of feel. It has the informal look that I want.

Dilemma: Given what I've told you, should the priority be on picking a travertine that is lightish in color (creams or tiny bit darker) to just soften the white cabinets or should I mostly worry about the rest of the house and this wood? My colors in the rest of the rooms are blue/yellow/white (family, dining) and terra cotta/brickish red (not quite) in the living and bathroom.

How do people decide what is more important? Sorry so long winded but, I know this a great forum and you all give many great "food for thought" advice so I wanted to lay it all out there....

Thx, Nicole

Comments (4)