SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Backsplash idea -- what do you think?

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

I'm trying to zero in on material for a backsplash to coordinate with our new granite and old oak cabinets. What do you think of this marble subway tile? I'm really liking it. I think it ties the colors of the granite, the cabinets, and the appliances together well. (The tile on the right is kind of an oddball -- there's some variation within each box, which I like, but most of the tiles are cream to light gold, like the others in this picture.)

Comments (46)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Looks good. And because it is neutral colored tile, it lets the granite be the star! Nice choice.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, threedgrad.

For some reason, the guy who will be installing our backsplash advised against marble or stone, but the ceramics just don't look as good to me. My only concern in terms of durability is the area directly behind the sink, because that does get wet. However, we will of course seal the tile.

What do you think of perhaps installing the tile behind the stove vertically (10 across), with maybe some of the pencil edge on either side? And then tile in a horizontal brick pattern everywhere else. I don't want to put in an elaborate design there because I want to be able to change out the stove in the future if necessary without redoing the tile.

• Related Discussions

What do you think of 2x4 back splash tile?

Q

Comments (15)
    The red diamonds in my backsplash are glass and I really like the effect. The other tiles are a bit off-white, and I think they match the cabs, I've never noticed. lol I have orb for some of the hardwared, and ruby colored pulls and knobs on the hutch which is in the kitchen. I also have an orb faucet whith white sink. White appliances. The appliances are whiter than the cabs, but its not noticeable. As far as the granite. That's a hard one to answer. Take every single thing off the countertop and I love my granite. But that color of granite is so hard to accesorize with it's driving me crazy! However, I recently discovered pale yellow, white, and light vintage green looks wonderful on the granite. My walls are a very pale yellow. Black accessories are good too, but I want more pastels in my kitchen. It only took me three years to figure out that pastels really look best with the granite and white cabs!
    ...See More

What do you think of this glass backsplash?

Q

Comments (39)
    Ok, I came back and saw I cross posted with the mock-up and I agree - if it turns out that dramatic - you really gotta love it! I love the second mock-up with the vertical glass mosaic, but that doesn't sound like what you are going for even though it is beautiful. You have been given great ideas - and you are right. THere is no hurry, the kitchen looks great now and take your time to find what you will like looking at for years and years. I was going mad trying to pick a backsplash and then I finally - hello?! - figured out I really don't have to choose until everything is in and I can really "see" it. Turns out I stumbled across the perfect backsplash after I gave up looking! But I just got lucky. THat space really is a wonderful opportunity to do something very personal and uniquely yours. Have fun!
    ...See More

Backsplash quandry - what do you think?

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm thinking you're going down the same road as another poster here did. The backsplash tile also has a lot of pattern to it. Does she have any pics or kitchens she can show you of the two together? You also mention that the floor has movement in it. All depends on the look you're after. I guess the Champagne Gold wasn't in the right tones. Have you also looked at porcelain tiles? There are beautiful ones to select from. No need to go all stone. I'm sure they'd love everyone to! Do you even need to do a tile backsplash? as that would be a lot of hard surfaces in the kitchen. Maybe just a narrow splash and paint? If you're not comfortable, just wait until you find a combination you love. There are tons of selections for backsplash applications. No need to rush or settle on something you're not sure of. Definitely pour over pics!
    ...See More

what do you think of this backsplash?

Q

Comments (52)
    thanks all. Yes I did see the three samples at the store. I ruled out the light gray because the white in it was too white for my white dove cabinets, I think that would bother me. You are right mayflowers its two dimensional vs. the gray which is dimensional. The calcutta was an great option but I was wowed by the gray.
    ...See More
  • threedgrad
    15 years ago

I think behind the stove you might think of a 45 degree diagonal diamond shaped pattern which might involve more tile cutting but the end result might be worth it. the center of the diamond is the center of the wall area above the stove. Would you be getting same size stove? If so, no need to worry about tile.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

HTH, I can't get a good look at the tiles as you have them now. Can you place them on the counter and then take a photo. I can't see the variations in either tile.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't want to design around the stove we have. It's a really basic gas stove; don't know how long it will last (true of all appliances these days). I'd like like the option to change it out in the future, so I'm trying to think of a really simple way to highlight the area. The width will always be the same, but perhaps not the height in the back. So it would be hard to center anything vertically.

I'm also not crazy about using a diamond pattern.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brutuses, I'll have to take some more pictures tonight. Maybe I'll lay out more of the tiles to get a better idea.

Someone recently posted her finished kitchen using these same tiles as a backsplash with a dark brown sold surface counter and white cabinets -- it looks beautiful. See the link.

Better get back to work now!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen with marble subway splash

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Harriet, you don't need to post any more photo's. I love, love, love that tile. It is more of what I had in mind for my own backsplash (I have the GO) but, budget constraints wouldn't allow it. Go for it, it will be gorgeous.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

You know what I'm not crazy about, is the pattern going on behind the stove. I like that pattern but I don't think it looks good with a tile with movement. I've seen it done with plain tiles and find it looks better. JMO on that aspect.

I had to go back and look at that kitchen again and compliment the owner. That is one gorgeous kitchen.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do you think of my idea of setting the tiles behind the stove vertically, with the pencil edge on each side? Too much?

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Do you mean doing a vertical brick pattern with staggered horizontal joints or would you be lining up the tiles on all sides? Can you get a picture of the stove wall - it might be easier to visualize if we can see how the cabinets are placed in relation to the stove. Love the materials you've chosen btw - I think you've bridged the old and new perfectly.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I love those tiles and think they'll look nice on your backsplash. I agree with Brutuses that I'm not loving the other kitchen's backsplash behind the stove either. The pattern doesn't go well with the fact the tiles are very varigated in color.

I would be tempted to look for a different size tile in the marble or maybe even a tile in the darker marble color in a diamond shape. Artteacher on the finished kitchen's blog was the inspiration for my backsplash and she did a small marble tile pattern behind her stove.

I think you also have to be careful as to how you lay the tiles so that if you're going to use the darker marble tiles they are incorporated enough randomly to look nice. If you only end up with a few of them they may look odd. That said, I would maybe even be tempted to not use the darker marble tiles at all in the backsplash. Maybe use them behind the stove. Just another thought. It's hard to say without seeing them first hand in person. :-)

• User
    15 years ago

I really like the tile but agree to be carful about how they're placed on the backsplash.

Really like your new granite with your cabinets.

• lv_r_golden
    15 years ago

If you don't do the subway tile, you might consider looking for granite tile that matches your counters - it may be available in 12x12 or larger. You could cut in half (or 4 inches wide) and carry that around above the counter tops (similiar to baseboard but on the counter. Then you could run it with around the range up to the fan with a border of the same width but fill the space with it at an angle in a diamond shape - this could either be the 12s or cut into 6x6. They polish the edges when they cut them so they match the shine. One nice thing about this look is that you actually end up with some wall space under the upper cabinets that would be painted the same as the rest of the kitchen - can look nice when using a more dramatic color. It gives a nice continuity with the counters but also gives you space to hang accessories - you do give that up with tile or stone. You can also do this with some type of ceramic or porcelain tile (or a contrasting granite - like absolute black).....you see it in model homes all the time.

I may have missed it but I didn't catch what color appliances you have (or are getting) or the layout. I think I have the same granite but my cabinets are quite different.

• User
    15 years ago

Harriet, fyi all the tile installers I talked to balked about installing the stone as well, I found out from the contractor I have now (who also balked) it's because it's more time consuming. Many of the stones vary in thickness and can be a genuine Paint in the Patoot to get level. When I questioned if stone was a good material in the kitchen forum, I was repeatedly told, "If you like the stone, go for it, as long as it's sealed it will look and function beautifully!" --Lukki

• budge1
    15 years ago

Love it. And I would include the ones with odd colour tones and variation. I think it really adds to the overall look.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

If the tiles are "gauged" (or is that guaged?) any way it rhymes with caged.....they will all be uniform thickness and size. But the installers have to take more care than they do with cheap ceramics (ie they seal before install and after) so a cheesy installer will whine. A good tile guy won't bat an eye :)

I love those tiles. Would you mind sharing where they come from?

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I don't know why your guy would be complaining about the subways you picked out. They are not like rough irregular shapes. If he whines again, kick his butt to the curb. LOL

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The tiles are from The Tile Shop (it's a big national chain with a website).

They look very even and flat to me.

I'll talk to the guy tomorrow and see what he says.

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. I love the marble tiles, and I love the subway idea, but I'm just not loving the tiles with your granite.

Looking at the tiles in the other kitchen, they seem to have a distinct pattern, and I'm afraid that would compete with the granite in your kitchen. They work well in the other one because of the two plain surfaces...but with the grain in your oak cabs, and the granite...I think it might be too overwhelming.

Can you do a test run before you commit to a large area?

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a picture comparing the marble with a couple of porcelain tiles. I think the color of the one on the right is pretty good; the one on the left looks too gray. The marble tile is the subway in the middle. The colors IRL are a little warmer than they appear in this picture.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

"I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. I love the marble tiles, and I love the subway idea, but I'm just not loving the tiles with your granite. "

I'm going to chime in with Pesky...
    But not because of a 'busy-ness' factor, but rather because marble subways say 'elegant vintage', but your oak and granite are more modern. I think you'd have a 'mood conflict' and wouldn't be happy with the result.

What about a plain-colored (not a stone-look) glazed ceramic in a warm gold 4x4 set on the diagonal? You'd get your 'interest' in the layout, the warmth in the color, and the simplicity in the plainness of the color.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I think the 4 x 4 on the right could work also. Have you seen my backsplash with my GO? I'll post a photo just to give you an idea of how mine looks. Not saying you want to follow my look, but just to give you some more ideas. Let me know if you need me to post a photo.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd love to see a photo, brutuses. Thanks.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Here ya go. The mosaic backsplash was from Lowe's as was the trim. The little inserts (last photo) were ordered from someone online. This was my solution of not being able to make up my mind on a solid backsplash. LOL

Someone had mentioned the movement in your oak so I'm not sure if something this busy would work for you.

{{gwi:1397847}}

{{gwi:1417446}}

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks -- that looks really nice. I agree, it's too busy for our kitchen because of the oak. But we could make it easier (and cheaper!) for ourselves if we went with 4X4 tiles like those in just one color.

So hard to decide!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I feel your pain, believe me. I tell you my first choice for my backsplash was to get a plain stone type tile as I thought the stone, in a nice beige would be a perfect match. Like I said though, with this being one of the last projects for the new house and money low, I compromised and went with this. I don't think you could go wrong with the 4 x 4 you have pictured. Have you thought about a diamond pattern with the 4 x 4 or a brick pattern on some and maye the diamond on the part behind the stove, with a border.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brutuses, what's the name and the colors of those tiles? I'm wondering if the lightest could be a field tile with either the gold or maybe some glass as accents.

Still mulling this over.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Oh gee harriet, I need to ask DH if he remembers the name. I should have written that down, but didn't. Sorry. This mosaic actually comes in a lighter beige withoutout so much contrast, if I remember right. Unfortunately Lowe's doesn't have it on line so you'd have to go to the store to see it.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a picture with the marble tiles laid out in a larger area:

I couldn't get the color right here -- IRL it looks creamier (more gold).

FWIW, my DH likes the marble. He's pretty conservative when it comes to decorating.

Another idea I had was to run a row of 1-inch glass tiles in a brown (to pick up the brown in the granite) above the third row of subways.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I love the marble and think it would go with the GO beautifully. I like the idea of an accent to bring out the brown.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maybe something like this (just cut into strips with a single row of tiles)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass copper mix

• lv_r_golden
    15 years ago

Another way to look at it,

Whatever anyone does is great, who am I to suggest ideas but I just reread this thread and may I suggest this food for thought: Make it about the entire look of the kitchen not just the splash.

The marble subway is a beautiful stone, but you already have medium busy granite and medium busy cabinets (oak does have a lot of lines goin' on) and if you do this splash you will have a third medium busy thing goin' on - the splash is med busy in the pattern and the variation of the stone. Busy makes me tired and no one thing will "pop". Also, they are all in similar medium color tones. The other problem, in my humble opinion, is texture. You have shiny granite and close to shiny capinets (I think) and this splash would be a third shiny finish. Too much shine goin' on. My own opinion, but it seems nice to mix it up a bit and have either all the same tone but change up the texture making for an interesting neutral, or go with all different intensities, of light, med and dark - also with variations of texture. If you want two shinies, go with the same granite on the splash or a real strong color like very dark - mix it up a bit. I think you will lose the "wow" with the subway. I would either do a bisque finish tile in a neutral color, probably in a 6x6 sq, or something in your counter granite that would be lower (like 6 inches) and let your kitchen color above it pop as you look at the entire space. If you go with a neutral tile up to the granite, it would also show very nicely with some dark accessories, plants, etc. I haven't totally confused what I was trying to say.

I am sure with will be lovely whatever you chose.

• hamsundm
    15 years ago

I have a similar granite. I've included a pic of our granite with the cabs (I did end up gel staining them dark). My cabs did have a lot of movement. We already had fake brick backsplah so I just painted it to kind of downplay it - I was simply so in love with the granite that I didn't want to detract attention from it!

Although our cabs are not the same (yours are much prettier!), perhaps my pic could help you in some way.

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

At first I was going to say I don't like it but then I looked at the marble backsplash in the link you provided and had a change of heart. If it's the same marble, I think it would look fantastic!

I'm on a role today so I mocked it up for you:
    {{!gwi}}

I have the same granite as yours - I think - Venetian Gold? Your house looks more modern and the marble works great whereas my house is more rustic so I went with a tumbled gold travertine.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kellyeng -- wow, thanks!

Our granite is Giallo Ornamental. It's less gold than New Venetian -- more of a cream background with gray, white, brown, and silver.

The white painted wood will be going away -- we're going to tile around the window and on the sill instead.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this. To me, the colors look just about right. The marble has a luminous quality that the ceramics don't have. The other thing is that the area to be covered with this tile is fairly small as well as shallow (only 17" between cabinet and countertops), so whatever we put there is not going to be overwhelming.

Our house is a solid 1950 ranch with dark wood trim everywhere, an open floor plan, and relatively plain lines.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Great job kellyeng. But I still don't care for the marble. Can you mock up some of the porcelain tile harriet had? Sorry, it was just 1 piece so may be a big job. But I think it would look better (on diagonal?) than the marble.

Unless harriet and her DH are in love with the marble.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, kelly has done more than enough! That was so helpful.

For some reason, I just don't like the diagonal look. Maybe I've been brainwashed by the subway tile trendy thing.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I don't think I care for the glass tile you're thinking about. Now that I see the marble, it wouldn't match. I like the look of the natural stone, but that one pictured has too much gold. Like you said, the GO doesn't have the gold in it.

Harriet, I also want to say whatever looks good to your eye is what you should go with. I know when I photo my backsplash and granite up close, the colors are off in the photo, but perfect in person. So keep that in mind. We can only go by what we are seeing and what we are seeing may not be the true picture.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really appreciate everyone weighing in on this, posting pictures, and the PS help! I know it's difficult to form an opinion based on low-res pictures on a computer monitor. The subject of tile seems to be one of those things that people have an almost visceral reaction to -- who knew?

I think I'm going to pass on that particular glass tile because you have to buy a whole box of it, it's expensive, and not sure it's the look I'm going for anyway.

Anyway, thanks again!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I'm not liking the yellow tones, or the gray-green oddball piece. But I think if you can pick and choose the lighter marble like the ones right around the outlet, it'll look nice. The yellow doesn't even look bad up higher, but that one piece on the 2nd row up just isn't going well with the granite. if you lay it out carefully I think it'll look very nice, even though I think I prefer the porcelain (but I might not have even liked that seeing a whole section of it). but it's *your* kitchen, do what makes you *and DH) happy, not some stranger!

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went out and bought the marble tile today.

Hope it works!

I'm most concerned about how they are going to manage the detailing around the windows and whether the tile will be too hard to work with, but I'm happy with the colors.

I'll play around with placement of the different colors of tile before the actual installation. Like I said earlier in this thread, the area to be covered is not that large, so I don't think it will be overwhelming -- just a touch of rich texture and color without being too fussy.

Thanks again for all the input!

btw, the tile guy was very impressed with kellyeng's mockup.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see it installed. I know it's going to be gorgeous. What marble doesn't, right? LOL

• hogar
    15 years ago

Harrietomeowner, could you please tell me the name of the marble subway tiles you are installing? Are they the lansdale from the tile shop? Are they also known as "Botticino"? When I went to the tile store, they told me that there is not such a name "lansdale marble". They say that is the name the tile shop used on that particular marble color. They suggested "botticino" might of being the one that is on line because of its creamy white color. I love them!! I think they will look gorgeous on your kitchen. I have similar colors, maple medium autumn stain cabinets, and a creamy granite called Ivory fantasy. I'm considering marble subway tiles as well and the ones that you posted lying down on your counters and the mock up created look perfect.

Please post pictures of your backsplash when ready...

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hogar, the tiles are the Lansdale Carrara marble subways from the Tile Shop. I am guessing that the name they use, as you were told, is not used by other places, but I don't know what that color would be called elsewhere.

I'll definitely post pictures when it's done!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lansdale Carrara

• hogar
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll order some to see how they look next to my granite...:)

• stu2900
    15 years ago

harriet--just have to say I love the look of the mockup Kelly did. I think the marble gives a very soft glow and is a great backdrop for your granite. Can't wait to see your after pix!