SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
locrian_gw

Unknown House Age

Locrian
11 years ago

I've put a contract on an old(er) house that was lived in for 60-plus-years. The heirs do not know when it was originally built and the Parish & town records are vague...going back to 1912 only.

The REA & I are doing a little investigative work because of keen historical interest.

One of the things that caught my eye was the wavy glass in most (if not all) of the existing windows. The glass is particularly dense (thick). Only two panes are cracked!

The archaetecture is standard P&B Double Shotgun, ~1800-sq', with steep pitched roof & deep eaves. (Unfortunately) the owners put tin-wrap siding up some time in the dusty past.

All of the original interior molding & base boarding is intact, 4-1/2" to 5" (painted). The floors are covered in heart-stopping orange & green shag carpeting. Wall paper adorns every single wall... And! There are oodles of built-in cupboards & cubbies.

What is a way to track back a houses age when records are scarce? I know some of the archaetecture treatments are "older" than early 1950s just from my days in theatre & set design. The wavy glass has me stumped, too.

Any suggestions & ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)