SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gayle0000

Do garage sales help justify the clutter?

gayle0000
15 years ago

Help me get into the mind of the garage sale mentality! I don't go to garage sales. I had 1 garage sale in my life, and that was when I was divorcing....moving out and dumping all the extras. I priced to sell...and I sold just about everything.

I know several people who are constantly saving their clutter for their next garage sale. Some of these people never have that garage sale. I often think this is just an excuse to not have to clean up, sort through, or clear out.

One friend does have garage sales, but prices her stuff so high, she's disappointed in the end. She complains she never gets rid of enough stuff, and never makes "good money" from her efforts. Know what...she saves what doesn't sell for the next garage sale. Her basement is filled with garage sale stuff.

Personally, I think saving for the garage sale is an excuse when you never have the sale. I've observed from the one who does have the sales that resale value is more of a sport to her than anything, but I wonder sometimes what her breaking point will be. If she never complained about all her stuff, I wouldn't take issue with her clutter.

I hope that didn't sound mean. I just can't grasp around the concept of saving clutter/stuff for the garage sale, and either never doing it...or never being satisfied that you accomplished when you did have a sale.

Any thoughts?

Comments (28)