SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outonalimb_2007

Third time's a charm (I hope)--layout feedback please??

outonalimb_2007
16 years ago

I have finally figured out, I hope, the art of posting a layout and seeking feedback on same. Here are some better pics, with updates to layout.

We have a small suburban ranch house built in the early 1960s. There are four of us -- myself, DH, and two children ages 9 and 11. I love to cook and do it most often but the kids help and my hubby will cook too (but usually when I am not there). The stairway down to the family room is a frequent path so I need to watch that traffic pattern.

We are planning on using Ikea's Tidaholm cabinets (contemporary oak), quartz counters, and the same wood floors that are in the rest of the house (not sure what color but leaning toward light). We are going for a contemporary but warm style, not too much clutter. Not alot of natural light comes in, so need to keep things light and airy.

I am planning on making the island the baking center -- all baking supplies, ingredients and equipment stowed underneath. Am considering replacing one 15" cab at the end of the island with open shelving, for cookbooks etc. Also thought about making the 13" red cabs on the other side of the island into a glass-door--with--interior-light type of sideboard piece, but not sure if I can spare the pantry space -- I am concerned about not having enough (although this layout is so much more efficient than what I have no--no island, bad corners--that I suspect I may end up with more storage than I realize).

I am purposely putting only 36" between the island and the long wall of cabs, as that is my main work zone, I want to discourage traffic in there and don't want to be more than a pivot away from things when I am working. I left extra room (48" and 51", conversely) between the island and the red cabs and the fridge, so traffic can flow in those areas.

The clearance after the fridge, to the back stairs, is tight at 32", but that is what it is now and we are fine with it; we also have a straight shot down the stairs from the garage if we are moving something big, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions, please share them. Conversely, if this looks good and you think it will work, please let me know that too. Thanks thanks thanks as always -- I would not and could not be doing this on my own without this forum.

Comments (8)