SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lannadelarosa_gw

Wallmounted Mailboxes... How do you use them?

lannadelarosa
16 years ago

Excuse my ignorance, but I am on my way to purchasing my first old home. My questions is regarding the differences between the mailbox posts near the curb (modern homes) versus the mailboxes generally wall-mounted to your front door (older homes). The obvious difference for the mailman is that for modern homes the mailman just drives up without getting out of their vehicle where as with the older wall-mounted versions, the mailman has to walk door to door to deliver mail.

On my end, though, how do I indicate when I have new mail that needs to go out? The modern mailboxes have the little red flags that you raise but I've never seen anything like that for the wall-mounted versions. And, p.s., I'm not always great about emptying out my mail every single day and I assume that mail just being in the wall-mounted mailbox is not an indicator that it has to be sent out? And though my home currently has a wall-mounted mailbox, I am considering the idea of the door-slotted mailboxes. Even more confusing!

Let me know how this small difference between modern and old homes really work!

Comments (24)