SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkill

cleaning parent's (abandoned) home

funkill
16 years ago

Hoping some of you can help!!! This weekend I (and 5 volunteers) are going to my mom's townhouse to clean out her stuff so that it can be sold. My mom, who has dementia, has been in assisted living for almost a year - and has never mentioned a word about her home or any of her belongings. She will go to a nursing home soon.... and, because she was such a poor housekeeper, there is TONS of crap piled high. Some is her stuff, some her parents - most in various states of disrepair or deterioration. Add to that cat puke, insect skeletons and the stench of heavy smoking and it's really *unplesant*.

My goal this weekend is to place unwanted personal items (clothing, nick-nacks, linens, etc) in black trash bags and then pack items that I want into rubbermaid containers.

Do you have any suggestions on what else I need to account for and other items (beside trash bags) to take with us to start this process? I plan to hire professionals to clean and remove the trash.... Thanks for your thoughts - time to roll up my sleeves. I don't think there are many *treasures* to be found as most of the stuff has been picked through by her lovely (NOT) acquaintenances who took advantage prior to my intervention......

Comments (25)