SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bouncingpig

Directives

bouncingpig
19 years ago

This last week has been a whirlwind and has seen pretty much all extremes of emotions. My dad ended up in the hospital Wednesday morning for chest pain and then the next morning, the day before being scheduled for surgery on her broken leg, my mother-in-law had a major seizure and ended up in the ICU on a ventilator. It was touch and go for several days, but she is now doing much better and actually had the surgery yesterday. She will be going to the rehab center tomorrow for approximately two weeks. It really was a wake up call to us in areas we hadn't really thought about, such as specific directives regarding DNR wishes, long-term care wishes, etc. DH's step sister tried to "hi-jack" her treatment, trying to force a doctor upon us via "long-distance" phone calls. We felt we needed Dr.s locally, as they could not just know her stats, but also see her coloring, how she was breathing, etc. It got incredibly ugly and stressful. We now realize that things such as preferred doctors, preferred treatment, etc. should be decided before the disaster hits, not after. So, while this time it resolved itself fairly well (though with a bit of bruising of sibling relationships . . . ) we need to be more on board for the future. While my parents and in-laws all have wills, which I "believe" are fairly specific (though we haven't seen them), none of them have directives regarding health issues. So, that has now become a priority for us in regards to them and probably should also be something we do for ourselves too, should something unforeseen happen to us. So do any of you have directives? Is this something your parents have done?

Incidently, my Dad is also doing well and the suspected heart problems appear to actually be spasms of the esophagus. DH and I continue to realize how far into the "sandwich generation" we are. Peanutbutter has become his "pet name" and mine is "jelly". Most of the time we can laugh about it, but sometimes it really becomes overwhelming.

Curious to hear from the rest of you on directives, etc.

Brenda

Comments (6)