SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Living High On The Hog

triciae
12 years ago

Terra Firma Farm is located less than 3 miles from the house so they are convenient. I believe in their programs & think our school kids are lucky to have this opportunity as part of their curriculum. Terra Firma Farms has a contract with our school district & the kids farm as a course subject as well as after school & summer programs. We have even volunteered our time to work at the farm. This farm is almost entirely run by volunteers so it's not like labor is costing a fortune. Although they've got about 500 acres & Stonington real estate taxes are not cheap so they've got that cost to pay. We've been buying chicken & pork from them for a few years now. I understand & accept why their prices are higher than my local grocery store. We don't eat that much meat & there's just two of us to feed.

Anyway, a couple days ago I received this week's email flyer for what they are delivering. We lost everything in Irene so we're busy restocking our freezers. That means our needs are higher this fall than normal.

Am I just out of touch or are these prices EXTREMELY high even for a year when meat prices have been escalating?

Here's their list for me to choose from...

"This week we are delivering:

Pasture Raised Eggs $4.00 / dozen

Pasture Raised Chicken $4.00/lb (avg bird is 4#)

Fresh Ham, Pork Butt Roasts, or Shoulder Roasts $9.50/lb

The bone remains for even more flavor. Excellent for pulled pork

Fresh Belly $13.50/lb

In a slab- not smoked into bacon.

Breakfast Sausage $12.50

Ground pork breakfast sausage not in links.

Smoked Hocks $7.00/lb

These meaty hocks add terrific flavor and big hunks of moist smoky meat to beans, soups and greens.

Fresh Hocks $6.00/lb

Sometimes called pork shanks. Rich and filling. For long, slow braising.

Leaf lard $4.00/lb

The fat from around the kidneys is considered the finest lard for pastry. It must be rendered before using. I will include instructions & a recipe for amazing lard cookies!!

Lamb Sausage $20/lb

Ground lamb & rosemary & garlic in a natural casing

Baldwin Brook Raw Milk $4/half gallon (plus$2 bottle deposit)

Honey $7

1lb glass jar"

I've just hit submit for an order of 8 unsmoked hocks (we'll smoke them ourselves); 6 whole chickens, 1 fresh ham (for the holidays), 2 pork butt roasts (3 lbs each); 6 lbs. pork belly to smoke for bacon; and 5 lbs. of sausage (yeah, I know we could make our own sausage but theirs is really good).

The cost was staggering. We can eat lobster cheaper 'cause now that DH is retired he has a recreational lobster permit & maintains 10 traps. We cannot raise pigs. (sigh)

What are others paying around the country for similarly raised pork? I'm willing to pay some premium to not eat pork with hormones, antibiotics, pasture raised, yada yada, yada. But this just seems ridiculous.

We haven't even started to stash some beef back in the freezer yet. It's a good thing DH fishes & we're OK with a pot of pinto beans with cornbread (even though we use half flour & a bit of sugar - smiles).

Anyway, I'm curious what prices are around the country & especially on the western seaboard?

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Terra Firma Farm, Stonington (Mystic), CT

Comments (10)