SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

I am getting rid of baskets!

talley_sue_nyc
19 years ago

One of my fave slogans is "if you build it, they will come," which I translate into, "a mess expands to fill all available storage space."

I must have forgotten this. Because I have these two extra-large baskets, and I'm getting RID of them.

One of them, I used to use by setting it outside the door to the kids' room. Then, when I was straightening up the house after they'd gone to bed, anything that belonged in their room went in the basket. (I try really hard not to go in and out of their room, and rummage around in there, while they're sleeping.) In the morning, I'd put it away while I was waking them up. It worked really well for three or four years.

Then, somehow, other stuff got in there--stuff that needed a home invented for it. And, I didn't put stuff away as religiously as before.

Now, it sits in my DD's room and holds all KINDS of crap!

Then, I got another big one (oval) that I set on top of the shoe cabinet, thinking it could hold the spare gloves, etc. Well, it was SO big that when I had my temper tantrum the other night, I pulled out TWO kites, a jacket, umpty-dozens of gloves AND hats (that no one wears). It just holds too much, and it looks SO unsightly.

So, out it goes. I'll stick it in the basement storage bin for a month or two, to be sure. I'll work over the month on emptying out the one in DD's room, and it'll go down there, too.

If they don't find themselves needed very soon, I'll give 'em away.

I got a couple of smaller containers, and they'll hold about 6 pairs of gloves--which is about all that should be there (the bulky ones for playing in the snow, and a spare pair for each person in the house, so I don't have to go digging deep in the closets if someone loses a glove).

Do you have a storage "solution" that is really the source of a problem?

Comments (6)