SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Philly Phood Phrenzy

caliloo
13 years ago

Several people mentioned they would like a Philly Get Together and I agere that it would be a fantastic idea. Take a look at your calendars and shoot me an email or post on this thread with several dates that are good for you, I will try to narrow it down to a common date and we will go from there.

Alexa

Comments (103)

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

That was a fun day, Woodie. I hope you can make it next time.

• susie_que
    13 years ago

Shame you can't make it this time Woodie but rest assured there will be more in the future...also plz keep in mind my DD is very serious with a fellow from Edison so I may be heading up that way a lot in the future!!
    BTW...I am exit 23 off 295 just in case you feel like taking a drive!! LOL!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• Related Discussions

And the good news is.....

Q

Comments (4)
    First day on the road with my son...he did really well. Had to run to the post office so I told him I will drive to-you can drive home. DD will be home for Christmas break and said she will take him out too. I think its best to learn on all our trucks so he'll be able to drive any of them if needed. Im not sure he'll want to drive the firebird...I had to drive it a few times this summer and...well...its not exactly made for a chubby middle age woman LOL!!! Cheers! Susie
    ...See More

A very happy birthday to Alexa (caliloo)!

Q

Comments (39)
    Thanks Ruthanna and Ellen! Yes Ellen, I did see your HB on FB, and if I didn't thank you individually, I am so sorry. Somewhere along the way the FB wishes got away from me..... And thanks to everyone again! Off to lunch with "the girls" today - I suspect a piccy or two just might end up on FB LOLOLOL! Alexa
    ...See More

Philly Fillies take on Reading Terminal Market!

Q

Comments (28)
    Thanks for the pics and report Alexa! Y'all look great and I know you had a great time hangin' out and shopping together. The Evil One came to mind when I saw the pic of the stuffer...LOL! Susie, Drew has grown into a nice looking young man. I can't believe how tall he is...seems it was just yesterday he was just a little boy. Thanks again for sharing you day with us! David
    ...See More

Phrenzy Photos and Phacts phrom Philadelphia

Q

Comments (56)
    I should have looked back into the CF posts after I hit Submit. Didn't realize some of you snuck in a few more Posts. That's a good excuse isn't it ??? I didn't see Pinky's, Jim's, Chase's, Karen's, Mustangs, Teresa"s. Did I miss anyone ??? ********************************* Karen : I'm ready for you and Steve. Think I have enough credit on one of my Cards. Next time you make the Sinbuns !!! Jim: I went to the VA Hospital to see an Opthamologist and to get a Prescripition filled. Having a Service Related Disability, entitles me to a lot of benefits, which is a big help, financialy. I also brought with me , a load of Books and items, for the Veterans. I belong to Geisinger Health System also. That's where I had the Surgery done on my left leg; a couple of months ago, for the circulation problem. Have a lot of other perplexing physical problems but I try to put them out of my alleged mind. Like, maybe they will go away. They never do. They can't do nothing for the mental problems. I thought Karen and Steve could help ??? Thanks again everyone, Had a geat time, Saturday,. Later, LOU PS: Pam your stage name (" dedtired " doesn't suit you ) You should change it to some thing like " Philly Filly " Wheeeooo !!!
    ...See More
  • ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

Unless anything unforseen happens, I am still planning on being there on the 23rd. Do we have a strategy for hooking up with each other?

• caliloo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do we want to pick a particular vendor at RTM??? That might be easiest. Pam??? Suggestions????

Alexa

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

My suggestion would be Bassett's Ice Cream. It's on the perimeter of the market, the aisle in front of it is relatively wide, and it shouldn't be as busy in the morning as some of the other stalls.

I am also planning on wearing a post-it note with "C.F." on my chest.

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

It turns out I won't be able to make it after all. My Dad has been sick and I don't want to leave him for such a long time. I sure am sorry to miss all the fun! Take a lot of pictures so I can feel like I was there!!!
    Joann

• susie_que
    13 years ago

I am so excited to be part of this get together!!

I don't know if we have a time set yet however I will most likely plan to get there earlier and grab a big table in the dining area.
    This way we can have a chance to sit and chat a bit before we take on Philly!

I will be dressed for comfort...prob jeans or a track suit and COMFY shoes LOL!!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• dedtired
    13 years ago

I'll be away from the computer until Sunday and will check in then. We definitely need a time and place.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I'm taking the train in from Landsdale. (Unless Ruthanna wants to carpool with me?!) I am going to be in MI this next week but am coming back for the weekend. I can't wait!! I hope to find some dried peppers and Mexican chocolate so I can make mole sauce. I'd also like to try and find some decent anchovy paste, the stuff I bought last week in the store was weird to say the least.
    But most important, I can't wait to see everyone and meet some new people!! It's been too long!
    Time?? Location--the ice cream place?
    Roll call? (So far I think me, Susie, Alexa, Ruthanna, CC, Teresa yay!, Pam, and maybe Goldgirl)
    This sounds EPIC!
    Lpink

• caliloo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lpink - are you bringing BF or is he not ready for that experience? And you bet I'm in! I wouldn;t miss it for the world!

A

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I am looking forward to the vicarious experience. Photos please!

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Alexa, going to Philly would interupt his watching football! :)

• susie_que
    13 years ago

Howdie all!! Just checked my AOL mail and I got an update from RTM.
    Sat the 23rd is the 10th annual harvest festival at the market so how lucky are we??
    They are closing Filbert St and turning it into a fall wonderland!!

I guess if I were doing a wish list I would be looking for the Amish butter...maybe some tea. Some good jam or pumpkin butter and a good time with new and old friends!!

I also have some info from a few of my Asian co-workers (yes I've been talking about this thing for weeks) and the suggestions I got so far are "The SangKee Duck House" and if we want somewhat exotic food "Shoa Lung Kung" (Alex gets something there called bitter melon stir fry??)
    Finally my gal pal Winnie said to go to "Ocean Harbor" for dim sum!!
    We'll just have to see how the day goes as we may be so stuffed at the market LOL!!

Would 10 am be too early??

Cheers!
    Susie

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Boy I screwed up, I thot it was Sunday the 23rd!! I'm numerically challenged. I'm gonna have to readjust my trip back from MI, I may have to drive all day Friday to make it Sat. I might bring BF, but that's really asking a lot of a guy!!

• caliloo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Geez Lpink! I'm glad you double checked. You would have been wandering RTM in search of us 24 hours late LOL!

Susie - I thought we were just going to have lunch at RTM.... there are more choices under one roof than any other place imaginable, I think we should just stay there. Of course, if everyone else wants to go to a restaurant someplace else then that is close then that is what we will do.

Looking forward to Sat!

Alexa

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I think the market opens at 9:00 so that is when I plan to be there - with my Post-it nametag with CF on it!

As for lunch, what if we did a "pot luck" from the items found in the market? I know I don't want a whole sandwich, but I could get one and have it cut up in several pieces. Or someone else could get a stir-fried dish and share with everyone. This way we could get a taste of lots of different food items from the market.Maybe a few of us can bring extra paper plates and forks, or maybe we can get these from market vendors. I have some picnic knives for cutting portions - I always want to be ready for a picnic when I travel!

Teresa

• susie_que
    13 years ago

I agree...RTM is a food lovers dream. I just recall someone mentioned ChinaTown so for anyone who would like to take a stroll I thought I'd point out some awesome places.

I am free all day so I am up for just about anything.

There may or may not be a ball game at 4pm.

I may also be bringing one or maybe 2 guests-about 75% sure on one and the other can't let me know until the day of so I can't promise anything yet.

Cheers!
    Susie

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

Lpink, I'd gladly carpool with you but will be doing an overnight visit to my aunt's house near Pottstown on Friday and driving from there to Lansdale to get the train on Saturday AM.

I should arrive at the market around 10. My preference would be to eat lunch at the market (a DiNic's roast pork sandwich has been calling my name) since it takes a long time to see everything the market has to offer, in addition to waiting time to purchase items. (For those who haven't been there, there's no central checkout or shopping carts. You have to order and pay at each individual stall.)

As we're heading into soup season, RTI offers some good soup ingredients that are not available everywhere - chicken feet, smoked neck bones, etc.

I'm really looking forward to my first CF get-together!

• caliloo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can be at the market at 10-ish too. I think my train arrives at Market St East at 9:55... so I am a quick walk from there. Do we have a final head count yet?

Alexa

• goldgirl
    13 years ago

I'm hoping to make it but won't know until the end of this week, due to school.

Sue

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Ruthanna I am taking the train from Lansdale too!! Maybe we could meet at the train station! I'll e-mail you separately about that. Look for my e-mail, sometimes they get thrown into the spam. It is from yahoo, and the first part is the same as my online name, lpinkmountain.

Yes, it would be just like me to wander around the market on Sunday looking for everyone! I wondered about a Sunday get together . . . When I used to do my course syllabi invariably I would have a student ask someting like, "Professor Pinkmountain, is the field trip on Saturday or Sunday, because you have it listed on here as Saturday, April 23 and that's a Sunday!"

I'm happy to just wander around the market. I would love to stay for Dim Sum dinner, but BF has been without me all week so I know he will want me to get back and spend some time with him. He is one of the world's sweetest men, but spending all day at the market with a large group of female foodies might be too much for even him!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

So here is the list of who is coming:
    Caliloo
    Teresa NC7 and friend
    LPinkmountain
    Cloudy Christine (are you still in?)
    Susie Que and maybe 2 friends
    Ruthanna
    Goldgirl (depending on school)
    Dedtired

I think we better plan to eat at the Market only because finding a restaurant to accommodate 11 people will be tough, and also there is all the food in the world at the Market. It would be fun to taste and share.

So we can meet at 10, shop for awhile and then have an early lunch? You can pretty well shop all the vendors at the Mkt in an hour. If we eat early or late we may have a better chance of finding seats together, although that will still be a challenge.

If driving, be sure to park in the garage at 12th and Filbert and then have your ticket (don't leave it in the car!!) validated by a vendor with a $10 purchase, which will give you two hours for $4 dollars.

Let's meet at Bassett's Ice Cream. One end of the counter is near a 12th St. entrance, so let's meet there. It's across from the Le Bus Bakery stand.

Is anyone coming on the train who needs me to meet them? How can I help you all get there? It's not hard.

I know about two-thirds of you, but maybe wearing something identifying would be a good idea. A Post-It with CF, as someone suggested, would work.

Please email your cell phone number to me through My Page (above next to my name). I will put them in one list and email the list back to all of you. If you have any questions, let me know.

I'll definitely be bringing my camera, but others should, too!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

My friend will not be coming..... so just me.

Teresa

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Teresa, I'm glad you're still coming!

• triciae
    13 years ago

Lpink, if you're still interested in looking for ingredients to make mole here's the Mexican chocolate I've used for 30+ years. It's packaged with 6 paper-wrapped 3 ounce rounds of chocolate per box.

Have a fun shopping day, everybody!

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Ibarra Mexican Chocolate

• User
    13 years ago

Looks like you are going to have a good turnout.

Where is Lou? Isn't he attending?

Ann

• susie_que
    13 years ago

I am just a hop skip and a jump away so anytime is good for me!!

I will shoot for 9-9:30.

Hmmmm a roast pork sammy!! Sounds great!! I used to get a cheese steak at Ricks but he is no longer there.

Cheers!
    Susie

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

Weather forecast for Philadelphia for Saturday - partly sunny with a high of 63 degrees.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Getting psyched! This is going to be so much fun. I love CF Get Togethers!

Alexa

• goldgirl
    13 years ago

Sadly, I'm out for the count Saturday. Have a great time everyone.

Sue

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Oh darn, Sue. That's a shame. I was looking forward to meeting the "real" you.

• hawk307
    13 years ago

AnnT - Everyone:
    I wasn't sure if I could make it and didn't want to dissapoint yau'll.

I'm going to try to be there with my DD and Grandson.
    They will be going to the Kimmel Ctr. to see the Philadelphia Orchestra.
    But wanted to stop at Reading Terminal too.

Hi pinky!!!

LOU

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Another here, watching from the sidelines. I'd say I'm 50/50 at this point.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow - I am once again CRUSHED this weekend! I will definitley be at PPP, but I want you all to know I am forgoing my uncles funeral (he passed yesterday), the halloween parade and street fair in my home town (that I thought was next weekend), and I now have to be home early enough to be on stage at 7:00 PM to introduce several of our candidates at a meet & greet for about 400 people.

YIKES!

A

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

I am not going to make it, sorry to say. Too much else happening. Although hearing about your schedule, Alex, I should have no excuse!
    Hoping for another chance some time soon.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

You must really love us, Alex, to give up all of that.

Cloudy, I was hoping you'd be there. That's a shame. You too, FOAS.

Right now it's
    Caliloo
    Teresa nc7
    Dedtired
    Lpink
    Susie Que
    Ruthanna
    possibly Lou
    50/50 FOAS

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

Pam, I was hoping to see you again too. Another time.

• susie_que
    13 years ago

Howdie all! I was just thinkin this time tomorrow we should all be stuffin our faces LOL!!

I got the email and will be at Bassetts some time before 10:00am.
    I will have one guest.

I shall wear a posty note and comfortable shoes. I will have a big tote to which I can stock up on chicken feet.

Must pick up batteries for my camera but for those on facebook I will be posting updates all day long!!

For what its worth I will be free all day so if anyone wants to do a little sight seeing I am in so long as my ankle holds up (yea it still hurts from time to time).

Gosh its been over a year since I've been to RTM and a few years since I've seen Lpink, Pam and Alexa so no doubt I am excited!! Add to it meeting NEW friends and I am over the moon!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Well I'm sorry to say I'm officially 0/100 now. Logistics would make it a 24 hour deal for me, and I've decided I simply can't afford to lose half a weekend in light of everything that needs to be done around here.

I'm really bummed; I guess the cheesesteaks that I made TWICE this week are about as close as I'll get to Philly this time. You guys have a blast - can't wait for pictures and stories!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

This city is going to be electric tomorrow! The Phils won last night and the next game is at home tomorrow at 4 p.m. Good thing for us that the stadium is at the other end of Broad Street. This will certainly add to the fun!

FOAS, too bad. We'll do it again some day.

I have already been eating like a piggy all week. The cool fall weather makes me want to pack the acorns away. I have to have some self-control tomorrow. Maybe only a cheesesteak and not also a porchetta.

I hope to stay on for some more sight seeing, too.

Hope all participants got my email with contact info. I am charging up my camera battery, too.

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

Have a great time all y'all!! Been to Bucks County but not the city...maybe another time. I'll be checking in for a report next week.

David

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Alexa - if you can accomplish all that is on your schedule tomorrow - you will be super human in my opinion.

Teresa

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Okay, last call for any additions or changes! Of course, anyone can come but we'll only be looking for those who have said they will be there.

Woo hoo! 10 a.m. tomorrow morning. Lots of walking, talking, shopping and eating ahead! With any luck we'll have pictures to post in the evening, or on Sunday.

I still don't know if the Phils are playing at 4 or at 8.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They are playing at 4... so the city will be CRAZED! And I just shot the attendees a quick message, Lpink called me and said she will probably be a little late but she will catch up with us before noon.

See you tomorrow :-)

A

• caliloo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Theresa, what is so "superhuman" about going into the city for a few hours and coming back for an event at 7PM? That was a normal day for me for years when I was working.

Just a few hours everyone - the weather is going to be perfect and we will have a great day!

Alexa

• susie_que
    13 years ago

One last peek before I head out the door!

I am ready-my guest is ready and we are HUNGRY!!

I will be wearing Phillies RED!!

BTW...the game will be on at 8...not 4.
    I am so happy it the Rangers...I get a little giddy when all NY teams are done LOL!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Me, too. Out the door in 10 minutes, just checking for messages. Yikes, I've got to find my Phillies pin!

I arrive on the train at 9:53, Market East.

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Alexa - I read to fast and missed the "forgoing" part. Hope it is a good time.

My brother and his wife will be there today. I told them to watch for the group and introduce themselves if they find you.

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Thinking of everyone over there, across the river. LOL.. Imagining a bunch of well stuffed CFers happily roaming the market, bags beginning to bulge. Sure is a pretty day for it.

• jude31
    13 years ago

Someone start a brand new thread from the Philly Fillies. Takes too long to get to the end of this one and I'm impatient.Lol Since I didn't go, I love to read about what you're doing.

jude