SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houscrzy_gw

Homemade Ricotta

houscrzy
14 years ago

I clipped this out of the newspaper a little while ago, and have made it twice recently. It is SO good--and really pretty easy. It is much creamier and purer tasting than the store kind (that may have something to do with full fat milk and cream, but oh well). I made pesto lasagna with it the other night and my family went crazy for it. I also used some on a pizza with fresh tomatoes--yum-o!

You don't really need a thermometer (I used a candy thermometer) because it is really obvious when it all starts to curdle. My second batch, I read the thermometer wrong and left it a little long on the heat. It didn't have quite the creaminess of the first batch, but it was easier to skim off the curds because they coalesced more.

Homemade Ricotta

2 quarts whole milk (not ultrapasteurized, preferably organic)

2 cups buttermilk

1 cup heavy cream

teaspoon salt

1. Set a colander in the sink and line it with a triple layer of cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel (not terry cloth) that you've rinsed and wrung out. Combine the milk, buttermilk, cream and salt in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and place over medium heat. Stirring frequently to prevent scorching, heat the milk to a gentle simmer. Watch it carefully; when it reaches 175 degrees, it will start to curdle. As soon as you see this, give the milk one last stir, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom, and turn off the heat. Let the pot sit there, undisturbed, for 10 minutes. The soft white curds will separate from the yellowish whey and rise to form a raft on the surface.

2. Using a wire-mesh skimmer or large slotted spoon, gently lift off the curds into the colander, leaving as much of the whey behind as possible. Go slowly so as not to break up the curds too much. When you've transferred them all, pour off and discard the whey left in the pot, and salvage any curds that are stuck to the bottom. Let the cheese drain for about half an hour; when the draining slows, gather the edges of the cloth, tie them into a bag, and hang the bag from the faucet. Continue to drain until the ricotta is as thick as you like it, up to an hour longer.

3. Pack the ricotta into a covered container and store in the refrigerator. It's at its best during the first 3 to 4 days, but it will keep for about a week.

(From the Seattle Times)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations