SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Grainlady - science of baking ???

loves2cook4six
14 years ago

I am trying to bake a 10" square 2" deep chocolate cake.

I tried it FIVE times. After the fourth attempt, and 4th different recipe, I finally figured out it MUST be something I am doing. Checked everything. Bought a new oven thermometer - temps are true. Bought new baking powder (old one was really old - that's what happens when dh buys bulk BP at Sam's), new baking soda. Baked a recipe with over a 1000 positive reviews on epicurious. But a flower nail in the center of the pan to act as heating core. Used baking strips.

Finally, the cake looks good in the oven. It's baking long and slow at 300 as the recipe calls for. It's got a nice dome. BUT then, in the last quarter of cooking time, it starts to sink. I swear I did NOTHING but look at it. No opening the oven door, no bumping my built in oven.

I took it out the oven when a few crumbs were sticking to the toothpick and my beautiful domed cake looks like a fallen souffle.

Please tell me what am I doing wrong? I can't actually believe I am even writing this. I've been baking cakes for years and even selling them but this is the first time I am trying such a large cake and it's for a 50th party Saturday and I am getting desperate. It's to the point now where I have wasted so much on ingredients and time and frustration that I am not even going to come close to breaking even on this cake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Highly rated epicurious cake

Comments (7)