SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

Pipes *in* the Cabinet?! (Long w/pics)

runninginplace
15 years ago

I will probably also post this in the plumbing forum but hoping maybe someone here can answer a question for me.

My kitchen dates from 1950. The plumbing has been somewhat updated but some is still original, including the waste pipe that leads from beneath the sink. Forgive me if my terminology isn't quite right here, I'm no plumbing expert. But,the waste pipe runs THROUGH the base cabinets then into a drain pipe in the wall, which is where the stack is also located. This means that on that side of the kitchen, for the run from my sink to the wall at about 2' above the floor level, through the middle of the base cabinets there is a pipe. The original carpenters simply cut holes in the side of the sink base(!) and then the pipe runs under a shelf inside the cabinets to the point at which it enters the wall(!!).

I can't imagine that everyone who redoes a kitchen of this vintage simply hacks up their brand new cabinets and lives with pipes running through the middle of them. This also means of course if that is done, on that run there can be no drawers. No dishwasher. No pullout trash, etc etc.

Yesterday my husband insisted that the only 'right' way to change this is to open up the wall to move the stack which would also entail cutting a new hole in the roof, and also to dig up the floor under our dining room as well as under both our bathrooms and move and replace all the drain pipes.

Now, my husband knows his vintage 1950 construction, having been brought up by a Miami builder. However he is also very good at dodging work by insisting that it is basically impossible to do something he doesn't want to do because the right way is simply too difficult :).

OTOH I have discovered after 20+ years with him that there often is a not-quite-perfect-but-quite-adequate solution to some of these can't be done situations. He did finally reluctantly admit that one could just move the waste pipe against the wall without tearing everything else out, but that it would then mean having 2 elbows and that would be "worse than what you have now".

So, anyone who has remodeled an old house, what are the options? I maintain, in my blissful ignorance of construction techniques, that nobody leaves pipes running through new cabinets and simply chops the cabinets to adjust. I also maintain there is no way I'm tearing apart the entire back half of our house if we don't have to. I just wish I had a non-partisan opinion of what needs to be done!

Here are pictures of the pipes running through the cabinet. First up, beneath the sink-you can see how the cabinet on the right just has a hole cut for the pipe:

Here is a picture of the adjacent cabinet, with the pipe running beneath the shelf. And yes this is the way I've lived with my pots/pans stored for 20 years:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ann

Ann

Comments (9)