SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kindred_ny

HELP!!! What have I gotten myself into???

kindred_ny
12 years ago

OK, so I discovered that the trim in my house was painted by the people who owned the house about 50 yrs ago. Since it was originally NOT painted, you guessed it, I have decided to strip the trimwork, oil, shellac and maybe varnish it. I started on the basement doorway, and 8 hours later I still have green paint in the grain of the wood.

Some questions...

1) I've heard people mention a very good heat stripper. Would someone please give me the name and approximate price range?

2) I've used a "friendly" paint stripper, but it's not working well. There's still paint in the wood. Should I use a 0 grade or courser steel wool to wash it after using the stripper? I'm using 0000 grade now and it's not really touching it.

3)I have heard one should avoid sanding the wood if at all possible, to retain the patina. Is this correct?

I feel like I've just taken on a hurculean task. There are 8 windows and 5 doorways in my downstairs, and the first door is only 1/4 done (with paint still stuck!). ANY info to help this job go easier and faster would be SOO much appreciated!!! I want very badly to bring back my home's intended beauty. She just looks blah with white painted trim. THANKS!!!

Comments (25)