Houzz Logo Print
squirrelheaven

Well, how interesting is this?

squirrelheaven
14 years ago

Comments (52)

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

very odd, something looks familiar; the whole blog is weird, the writing, the commercial pictures, ok squirrel, tell us; how did you discover this ?

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was looking for night time cherry shutters for the room I just posted! To my surprise, there was one of my ps's of Val's room. Have no idea why this would turn up in the google, of all things. How weird could cyberspace be, lol. Looks like some sort of advertising blog -- which has been scavenging around here -- scooping up our homes!

lol, Amity. Well, if I were to do a blog, I hope it would be more interesting than this one, whatever is going on here.

I think I've had a couple of brain cells collide or something, lol. Had better call 911.

This was my google:

cherry interior shutters closed

• Related Discussions

Well, now I've really made things interesting *eye roll*

Q

Comments (9)
    Debra, good that you know what they are! Mine are usually very distinctive, I think I was more disappointed b/c my backyard has been taken over by mass amounts of seedlings due to an ..obsessive month or 2 on LA last year ..so I was trying to trade daylilies that I have similar ones.. and dont' think "I have a great..plant that MIGHT be pink..will interest many ppl.LOL" My mom and dad are visiting me and they're GREAT gardeners, so I was hoping to have tiny yard looking vibrant and artsy and just generally cleaned up b.f they get here.. and it's not going to happen. Maybe they'll feel sorry for me, their organizationally incompetent daughter and help. :)
    ...See More

Astilbe, how well does it grow for you?

Q

Comments (10)
    I have some four years old I think. I divided the one I had into three this spring. Mine is supposed to be fanal. I had about four stems of flowers on each plant, but they in no way looked like your pictures. I really like the foliage though. Mine are possibly in more shade than they would like but I doubt they would like the sun here either. I did move the divisions where they would get more light so we will see. This is a plant that is sold locally.
    ...See More

well, I found something interesting,

Q

Comments (7)
    If you collect thimbells, they would look nice highlighted under the glass. At christmas you could display some of the tiny wooden ornaments from germany that comes in to TJMAX and Marshalls around Oct, Nov. For a girly look, you could display a nice bracelet opened up under it on top of your bedroom dresser, even a few lovely rings lined up would be pretty. Collection of broaches, (cut a strip of velvet for the jewerly to lay on)...Basically anything tiny can be highlighted under glass...
    ...See More

Well now, this should be interesting

Q

Comments (10)
    houstonmom, yes, I know he was desperate to get out. Shopping he does without complaint, but agreeing to using the scooter to do it really shocked me. We were out of Blue Bunny ice cream so off he went. I expected him to come home ranting and raving about rude/inconsiderate Walmart customers. It is not easy shopping from a scooter and Walmart seems to me to be worse than any where else. He did complain about how difficult it is to get anything out of the freezers that are upright with doors. However he did say that help was offered by a couple customers and the check out girl loaded his bags into the scooter basket for him. All in all, he learned what I am up against when shopping.
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

Well I was so confused I didn't know what to write. Decided to wait to see what others thought about it.
    Did you report the abuse of your work Squirrel?

• User
    14 years ago

I was totally confused until I read down this page more. I realized the first photo Val's room right away. Ha, which only confused me more.

Very interesting. Can people do that? I know once we post pics here they're no longer ours but people can't say they designed something if they didn't.. can they?

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

omg *snorting* LOL

I cliked on the link, scrolled a bit, noticed your PS work with the rug and figured it was your blog!

I didn't go any further figuring after I ate I'd take my leisurely time browsing Squirrel's Blog...guess not. LOL

So, someone or many someones picked up your PS work and put it on their ad/blog?
    Not nice at all.
    Can you email them and ask why they felt the need to do that?

From the very little bit of PSing I do, I know it takes a LOT of time, patience, a very keen creative eye and skill that only comes from lots of practice (all qualities I'm sorely lacking).... If I were you, I don't know that I'd be too thrilled seeing my work on someone's blog or ad.
    I'd have to be my nosy self and email them to ask them why.
    Just sayin' *smile*

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol, GottaBe. What you thought that was just my lousy blog I was spammin' ; )

Unbelievable. Couldn't be any weirder, ha. What are the odds. I think I need to go play some numbers ; )

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked around a little but it all looked rather computer generated. Didn't see a person or contact associated. Just ads and such.

Will have to check it out some more!

I saw Val around today too. How weird is that, as she hasn't been around much of recent.

We're sure riding the cosmos waves out here today!

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my. I wonder if the woman in this pic (bottom of page) has anything to do with the written portion, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, lol. Hasn't quite learned how to spell her name yet, either : /

Here is a link that might be useful: Hello I'm Helly

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

Well, you're one up on me then cuz I thought her name was Hiii,Hiii
    No? *shrugs shoulders*

Why not just make a comment directly on her blog?
    I don't know much about blogs but Blogs usually allow comments under the photos, right?

Oh yea....I'd make a comment. Nothing nasty but something classy that will really catch her eye...maybe in innuendo form?

Sorry....where's the 'slap Amity's hands' icon. I'm not being very nice. :)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Wow. What a drag to discover--now you have to take out the trash...

• mcps
    14 years ago

That's just bizarre!

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Yes, that is really an odd feeling seeing a virtual of my room up there. Not sure whether we should feel flattered or offended... Squirrel, I'm still around, took a break from decorating and mostly lurked, but have become more active since I've purchased a couple of new rugs and now plan to revamp my DD's room.

• Sujafr
    14 years ago

By the grammar, etc, and misspelling like squirrel mentioned, this looks like something generated by someone outside this country or not very literate in English. I'm not sure all the usual US rules apply but certainly hope there's some recourse. The whole website looks like a scam of some type--perhaps to get ads and then generate income via them. Very strange!

• parma42
    14 years ago

Truly weird.

They have copied this pic and have it on their blog. Are they claiming that a Coco Chanel work is actually their own?

I recognized it immediately as it has the sofa that was replicated for the living room set on Frasier.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Squirrel, you need to contact Google and advise them that this is a violation of the DMCA - the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. You own the copywrite to those photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: report the violation

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

I just conducted a test. I googled "restrained gold" and then switched from web to images. Guess what came up, all the images/pictures that I have posted here, most recently the pics after the main areas and DR were painted. I guess what I learned from this is that anything I post here, will wind up on the image portion of Google. New lesson learned for me.

Deb

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

While it may be a violation of copyright, they're doing what all the blogs do -- collecting photos and using them for their online mags. Few get express permission for that. Except, that this is solely an advertising enterprise, and one that doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise, lol. It almost looks like it was voice translated. -- Or done overseas with poor English and comprehension!

I did notice on one page that an image had been removed. So there may have been complaints.

Totally bizarro! that I could google for shutters and come up with my own shutterless work, lol.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

It's been that way for a long time Deb. I've often searched particular paint colors under Google Images and commonly see, among results, rooms I recognize belonging to members here. One popular color in particular when searched will lead to an old timer member's photo (who doesn't frequent here anymore), and clicking on the photo in Google Images leads directly into her photo album online. (Must be marked public, but still is a good reason to make albums private.)

I understand why, for example, Allison puts text over any images she posts. Anyone out there wanting to 'borrow' them for other sites, blogs, etc. the text layer puts a damper on it and probably discourages use the image. Smart of her. ;)

• User
    14 years ago

No Squirrel. I didn't think it was yours, I just had no clue what to say since the blog made absolutely no sense at all to me. I did almost asked why you posted such a weird blog though. I know our Squirrel has better talent then whoever put that blog together does. That's for sure.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't want to give away the contents in the title or link, as others would also get an interesting surprise to see that huge project we worked on sitting on a blog ; )

Val, yes, I think flattered would be the word, even if it is just some weird, incoherent advertising blog from overseas, LOL. You're published! :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>Except, that this is solely an advertising enterprise, and one that doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise,

It appears to be the latest thing in link farms, as far as I can see. Interesting.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Moon, I've been told watermarks are easy to remove....although I've never googled how to remove them. I do them anyway. ;)

I was told the following when I asked a friend about the website squirrel linked: "Those are link farms and there is a computer generated app that pulls interior design articles off the web for sites."

• User
    14 years ago

From the writing , the blog is "spinning" ... using software to suck content off the web and change the words slightly. Then they sell ad space on the blog and collect the money.

The key is that the English is not really English, it's gibberish: "If looking face wearing art deco, interior arrangement also does not run away from that style. Similarly minimalist model homes, interior was designed with a matching style. Although in practice, not rounded second wearing that style."

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the articles sound equipment-generated too. Those text voicemails can be pretty funny, too.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Well, FWIW, blogspot is a pretty cowardly organization and they almost always yank anything anyone complains about, justified or no, so I'd just complain to them.

• User
    14 years ago

Am I understanding correct, that any photo posted on this forum becomes public? How do you mark an album on photobucket private?

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe it bothers Val, but I really don't care; otherwise, I wouldn't have posted them. Once things are placed on the net, you're pretty well setting them free.

Rose, they become public in the loose sense of the word, as anyone can then make a copy of them. It's not against the law to do that for personal use, such as inspiration files or creating personal artwork in your own home. But you can't use them for monetary gain, sell them, or publish things without permissions when they are copyrighted material.

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks Squirrel, I wasnt aware of this. One poster mentioned marking the album private, do you know how to do that?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>One poster mentioned marking the album private, do you know how to do that?

Just to point out that if you make the album private, nobody here can see any pics you post, either, unless you also post the password, in which case there's no sense in making things private in the first place.

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks writersblock, good to know.

• zipdee
    14 years ago

My photobucket album is marked private and I can post pics here, I think that you can just see the pics that I post and not the whole album though.

To make your account private, you go to Account settings, scroll about half way down and you have a place to set the album to private, then save your settings.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rose, you might want to create a separate album for your GW postings, which can be designated as public. Then set your other albums as private, giving passwords to friends and family for viewing. That way, people hopping over to your album from here have restricted access. Might want to have the default access on your account set to private so you don't accidentally forget to mark an album as private.

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

Looks like one of those "Make Money From Google" web sites where the host gets paid when you click on any of the Google links...And yes it was written in a foreign language then translated via a computer program....I read a lot of Int'l news online and use Google Translate ....There's always something lost in translation..............

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

I realized it when I did a Google Image Search for I think Decatur Buff and up popped pictures of MY kitchen and dining room from a post I had placed on GW.

It did shock me - I actually felt a little "exposed".

I think if you break the HTML link to your photobucket account the links won't work and the pics will not appear on the web any longer - but I could be wrong?

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

squirrel: Doesn't bother me too much either as it's not really what my room looks like since that was used as more of an inspirational rendition. I was more taken aback when I did a google search on Wilmington Tan and came up with more pics of my LR and entry. Just wondering how the information is extracted about paint colors and images are then stored? Are all rooms done or just certain ones?

This is an interesting thread, though, as I mostly wondered why my room or even why your PS rendition. It doesn't really have a context without an explanation with what is done and how you use PS to add decorating components, paint colors, etc. It would be much more interesting if you were to do a blog with the virtuals and then the finished products of some of the rooms which you helped design.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I just conducted a small experiment....go to Google Images, put in your user name....

Also, there have been a couple of huge uproars over on the Kitchen Forum. Members have found their kitchens/bathrooms being used by contractors on websites hinting that the work was theirs....

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

roseabby, it's exactly as zipdee said:

My photobucket album is marked private and I can post pics here, I think that you can just see the pics that I post and not the whole album though.

So if zipdee posted a picture here, and say I clicked on it, I would be taken to photobucket's login page. Couldn't get any further because her album is Private. However, if zipdee's album were Public, and she posted a pic here, if I clicked on that pic it would lead me to her album, which I could browse around and see other photos.

I have two Pbucket albums, one for personal use and one I use for virtuals here, or misc stuff I want to post. I keep my personal album Private, but for virtuals done here, I just leave it Public. That way whomever I did the photoshopping for can browse at their leisure, take what they need, etc.

Pbucket also now has other little tricks that can be used. Jumbling the images around (breaks the link), preventing Right-click>save (tho that can easily be worked around). Log into Pbucket and go to Account Settings at top of screen, then middle left of Account Settings you'll see Album Settings (where you mark it Private). Below that are many more options, if you want to know what they do click on the "?" next to each option.

Allison, yes, my photo edit software has a watermark feature, but comes with a warning it's not fool proof. There are peeps out there who can get around most anything on PCs and the web if they really want to. But for the non-tech savvy, your method is an easy way to discourage pilfering. Kind of like the 'burglar skipping the house with the dog' reasoning. They'll just move on to the next easier target that catches their fancy. ;)

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

Posted by forboystoo (My Page) on Tue, Jan 5, 10 at 19:20

Looks like one of those "Make Money From Google" web sites where the host gets paid when you click on any of the Google links...And yes it was written in a foreign language then translated via a computer program....I read a lot of Int'l news online and use Google Translate ....There's always something lost in translation..............

Exactly.
    Who in all of holy hell is anyone reporting anything to?
    And exactly what is going to happen when this unknown internet entity tells Misha in Thailand to stop using a pic of your family room?
    Got an *internet decorating forum picture attorney* waiting in the wings?
    It's all meaningless as well as worthless unless you're clueless enough to click on any of the sponsored links on any given website or blog.
    They only make money when you click on a link on their site and that might be a whopping 30 cents (!).
    No money at all when you make the initial visit to any site - only when you click on links on a site - just like this one.
    Much ado about nothing and, besides, good luck controlling the internet.
    If you're that protective, worried, and/ or paranoid, then do yourself a big favor and don't post anything on a incredibly PUBLIC forum like this one.
    One does not need to be registered or a *member* here to read, look at, or save anything posted on this forum - written or otherwise.

• sweetrain
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness people,, they are just pictures!,, and of course they can appear anywhere,, that's exactly what GOOGLE is. A SEARCH ENGINE FOR THE INTERNET!

Posts or pictures posted on here or any other website will be brought up if you do a search for them.

I personally would be flattered if someone picked a picture of mine and thought it worthy of posting on their site. But,, if they're getting money for it, I want some too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Posting pictures as work as your own is FRAUD and that should be reported about this website or any website that posts a picture claiming they designed the room.

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

Posted by lynn2006 (My Page) on Tue, Jan 5, 10 at 23:01

Posting pictures as work as your own is FRAUD and that should be reported about this website or any website that posts a picture claiming they designed the room.

And, as I said before, please tell me and everyone else exactly WHO ARE YOU REPORTING THIS HORRIFIC INTERNET CRIME to?
    WHO?
    And, if you wouldn't mind entertaining the thought, who is paying for the prosecution of said crime?
    WHO?
    And, honestly, who really cares and what does it matter?
    ANYTHING you post on the internet is there forever.
    Good luck protecting it.
    Even Martha doesn't have pockets that deep.
    I have yet to see one thing posted on this site that is worthy of this kind of brouhaha including so called light fixtures made from a deli tray and plastic shower rings.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The only ones who would have an issue with this particular site or 'sighting,' shall we say, is Val or myself -- and both of us have already said that we don't care! lol ... I posted it because it was pretty interesting to see one of my virtuals pop up on a blog somewhere! Indeed! lol -- and there was Val's room that we all worked so hard on. Pretty flattering, imo. And kind of fun to see it again. Even if it is just some odd advertising site, lol. I got kind of a kick out of it, myself.

I don't believe they're claiming any work to be their own --just collecting pictures for visitors, as other blogs do, and compiling/offering up links related to the google.

As far as reporting goes, when people have issues with a site or its content -- they can report their issue to the site itself or to the hosting site. The administrators there may or may not remove the material. And if it's a copyright violation, its creator/author may very well be interested in pursuing having it removed -- especially if it's related to income or sales. If someone scanned in one of MS's books and made it available online, I think she'd be in hot pursuit.

Really, Joanie, I understand how you feel, but I don't know why you're getting so worked up over this -- to the point of feeling the need to insult other members. This thread was not a big brouhaha, though some people do take issue with this situation. There are many points of interest here. Some posters aren't even aware that their pictures can turn up elsewhere on the net. Not everyone is net-saavy from the get-go.

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

Squirrel, as usual, you're the voice of reason and, btw, my favorite poster here.

I understand copywright issues and the like and have no doubt that MSO would pursue blatantly illegal infringements like copying an entire book, a picture here and there - probably not.

I've posted a couple of worthless pics here myself and would not have done so if it mattered to me, much less plaster my name all over them - not that they would be worthy of watermarking in the eyes of anyone, including me.

FWIW, Google owns Blogger.
    If those pics were gathered by means of a Google search then I suppose Google is guilty of some kind of crime too.
    After all, every Google results page is loaded with sponsored links - it's how they make their money.

Heck, anyone that has posted a pic here that is not their own is also *guilty* considering the fact that this forum and all of ivillage's other sites are full of sponsored links and advertising - it's how they make their money too.

I've seen a lot of beautiful, inspirational pics on this forum and Sqirrelheaven's work is something I always look forward to.
    But it is still my opinion that I've yet to see one thing that warrants watermarking including my example - which I'm full aware of being very specific.
    No different than those that voice their opinion of Tuscan, matchy matchy, big clocks, Ashley furniture, mainstream 'cheese' etc. - they're just passive aggressive about it, usually under the guise of being witty and/or an authority of some kind - that's what I consider insulting.

Everyone have a great day :-)

• natal
    14 years ago

Interesting post, Joanie.

• User
    14 years ago

"they're just passive aggressive about it, usually under the guise of being witty and/or an authority of some kind - that's what I consider insulting. "

I'm sorry I guess I just dont understand the above.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Squirrel, I agree with you about this being too funny! You are officially an international virtual star. (or whould that be star of virtuals?) I'm all freaked out about the English and grammar thing now...

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

But it is still my opinion that I've yet to see one thing that warrants watermarking including my example - which I'm full aware of being very specific.

Since only one person here utilizes that method...I won't be so presumptuous as to speak for Allison, but I will speak of her. And from what I know of her, stamping her photos did not come from a place of self-importance or the ideal that photos of her home somehow 'warrant watermarking'. Don't know if you were a member back when it happened, but when GW's policy of photo ownership came under the spotlight sometime ago it was rigorously debated here. Many felt quite strongly, enough to stop posting photos altogether. Some didn't mind, and others fell somewhere in the middle (perhaps just posting snippets). We all have our boundaries. Perhaps that's her solution for being able to share her enthusiasm for decorating but still retain some degree of control over her private domain and copyright to her own photos. Giving of ourselves and our home is one thing. Having it taken from us is quite another. If she's in the camp that feels strongly about it, and watermarking has deterred someone out there from usurping what is rightfully hers, then more power to her.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joanie's example. One of four people I can think of, off-hand, on this particular forum, that watermark/sign their images.

{{!gwi}}

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

When I said "Since only one person here utilizes that method..." I was referring to those participating here in this thread discussing WMarks.

Now with example pic displayed and a reread it appears to be about more than that.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Wow, you go away for a few hours. What was it Auntjen said one time - Sounds like someone needs a bran muffin. Where has AJ been lately?

Moonshadow, thanks for speaking of me so kindly....and correctly. I'm not going to waste much time explaining why I put watermarks on most of the pictures of my home or either of my daughter's homes. Only that it's something I decided to do after photos of mine showed up on another forum and a GW members kitchen showed up on a website (that wasn't her contractor/kitchen designer). Like you said earlier, a deterrent - like a barking dog.