SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinainky

How to break dependency on spouse

tinainky
13 years ago

I'm not sure dependency is the correct word...but that's what it feels like. Hubby and I have been married almost 26 years and we have a happy marriage. We enjoy each others company very much and do almost everything together. We own a business and work together daily, have some of the same hobbies, have mostly the same friends. All this is great, except for the fact that I cannot imagine being without him. I am totally dependent on him being in my life every day, not to do things for me, just to be with me.

There have been a couple of times in the past 5 years when he was gone for 5-8 days. I was absolutely miserable and had multiple debilitating panic attacks, especially at night. Just thinking about being without him causes severe anxiety. I am okay during the day, but at night I fall apart. The mere thought of him dying is panic inducing.

Yes, I know this is extremely unhealthy, and that is why I am seeking help. My two sisters want the three of us to take a week-long trip and I really want to go, but...the panic starts as soon as I think about spending a night without my husband.

I have tried therapy a few times before for other things, and I just do not do well with therapists. I do much better with self-help books, I just don't know where to begin with this problem.

Comments (23)