SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nursekathleen

Old Windows - replace or????

nursekathleen
15 years ago

Ok so I'm officially addicted to this forum ;)

Our house has nice old windows that I adore. The back windows overlooking the backyard, in the dining room, have the original 1920's latches and glass, and at some point had storm windows on the outside - we cannot find them (we've owned the house about 6 months).

Husband is a little more energy-conscious than I am...I am keen to preserve history, he likes new and not drafty lol. He would like to rip out this window and put in a garden door. While I think that would be fabulous - room is dark and that would let in a lot of light, as well as a passage through to back deck...I would mourn the loss of the window :( As well, we live in Southern Ontario, it's -10 right now plus wind chill. That window SUCKS heat right out of our house. We've covered it in plastic for the winter, but again, hubby wants it gone!

Here is a photo, showing the window at the back, plus a big pile of crap after we pulled up the horrid carpeting the PO had installed:

Also - most windows have been replaced with very generic but energy efficient ones, except for the main window in the front living room. Those use ropes and pulleys. And they are freaking cold. I LOVE them, think the ropes etc. are amazing, but hubby wants them gone. I must say, the draft from them this winter has been AWFUL. Even with the insulating plastic, the draft from those is ten times worse than the back window with the latches.

Opinions?

Comments (19)