SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
two25acres

How would handle this? Very long - sorry.

two25acres
13 years ago

I have to give you as much history/background information as possible in order for you to give an opinion. Here it is.

Mom turns 75 this year, planning a big party with lots of friends and family. We are hosting it at our home.

Family history - immediate only. You'll need this information.

Mom and Dad (dad gone since 1974)

6 kids, 5 boys and myself (only girl)

Brother 1, musician and married to artist. No kids together. He had 2 daughters from previous marriage, one daughter gone since 1975 and remaining daughter married, divorced mother of 2 living children. Lost her first daughter 12 years ago at the age of 5.

Brother 2, divorced 2x's with 4 kids. 2 different mothers.

Brother 3, divorced 2x's with 4 kids, 2 different mothers.

Me, married- no kids. married late.

Brother 4, twin to number 5, married to same woman with 3 kids.

Brother 5, twin to number 4, married to same woman with 4 kids.

That's 16 grandkids, one grand child gone and 2 great grand children, one gone.

Total 6 kids, 16 grandchildren and 2 great grand children-living.

24 plus 3 daughters in law and one son in law. 28 plus mom and her husband - 30. This does not include step kids/step grand kids.

Last September I sent out an email to all brothers and their families. Sent emails to work and home address's. When I'm planning a get together we communicate this way so that we can pass it along for details. Basically, who's bringing what, who's coming. In the email I explained that I was planning a very large party for our moms 75th birthday. To the oldest brother, musician- I asked that he write a song and perform. To his wife the artist I asked if she would consider doing a family portrait of the six kids. Everyone else I asked to consider the portrait, feed back etc. and catering the event. I don't want to be cooking all day, I want to enjoy this time. Only heard back from brother 1 and his wife, she has agreed to do the portrait and will guide me through what she will need to do it. She lives in S Dakota, we are all in WI and IL. Getting together is not easy. Maybe one time a year that we can actually pull it off.

So, never heard from anyone else. Made plans, talked with friends and distant relatives, set the date etc. New Years we held our family get together and since most of us were there and mom hadn't arrived, I thought I would take that time and get some ideas from family about the party. I brought it up and the first reaction I get was from brother 5's wife. It was loud and I was totally unprepared for it. She was offended that she and two other sister in laws would not be in the portrait. What's really sad is that she had waited so long to let me know that her feeling offended had actually mounted into anger. The reasons for so much family back ground is this. If an artist is willing (comission free) to do a portrait I feel I can't ask too much of her. I figured doing the 6 of us would be much easier than trying to do all 30 of us. She will be doing this piece from photographs that I have been pulling and trying to arrange. My plan was to take a family picture we did when we were all between the ages of 1 and 16 and incorporate a more recent picture of each of us so that you'd have something when we were young and something as we aged.

Another thought I had and the artist agreed, was where was the cut off if we tried to do the whole family. Do we include those that we have lost? All very much missed and to this date heavily grieved due to their ages and the acts involved in their deaths. One was murdered at the age of 7. That loss weighs on all of us to this date. If we did all of us as we are today, some family members would also feel very bad that their loveds ones aren't in the "family portrait".

Another tid bit of information. My mom is a mom. She's been a mom since 19 and a grand mother since 36. She's never been a doting grandmother. I don't know if its because of the way she was raised, her parents weren't that good at grandparenting either. My grandmother didn't even help mom when my dad died and she had 6 kids under the age of 18. Or if its more the paternal grandmother thing versus the maternal grandmother thing. I do know that had I, the only girl had kids she would have doted on them much more than she ever did with the other grand kids. It's the way she is and its a well know fact in our family. Most accept it and can look past it.

In other words, a portrait of her six kids would mean much more to my mom than the whole family as it is. That I know.

My intentions were to have family portraits taken at the party, if the brothers and their families wanted sister in law to do a piece for them then that would be up to them. I know in time she would be willing.

So if you were me, would you change your plans for the portrait and put aside the countless hours of prepping and finding pictures for the artist to go off of and change it to include the rest of the family (living) or include the whole gang? If your wondering about our dad, yes of course I would want him in it but I'm afraid that would offend my moms husband so I have to take that into consideration as well. We wouldn't have any of us had it not been for the two of them!

I know there's alot of information here but I just didn't know how to ask without supplying the background.

Your input is appreciated in advance.

Comments (33)