SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lea808

what to do with troublesome family members (sorry, very long)

lea808
21 years ago

Seeing how things have been kind of slow lately, thought I would throw this one out there, just to get some input. Many of my friends have given me advice already (advice I agree with) but, I have found this group to be pretty insightful, so here goes.

The situation is with certain of my husband's family members.

My husband and I met in February 2001. It started off pretty slow. I had just gotten divorced and wasn't really looking for a committed relationship, just some fun, casual dating. But, things just "clicked," you know? Three months after we met, my husband told me he wanted to marry me and have a baby. Three months later, we found out baby was on the way! After discussing all our options (when we were sober rather than intoxicated), he bought a ring. We got married in January 2002 (on my 28th birthday!), our son was born in April 2002 (he will be one tomorrow, time flies!!)

While the way things went was not exactly, shall we say, conventional, we are adults (I am 29, he is 36), after all. We both already had one child each and there is no issue with money. I make very good money and had just bought (on my own) a nice house in a great school district. My parents and his mom and step-dad have been very supportive, but then, there is his dad.

His dad was visibly angry when he got the news. Angry because, as my husband later informed me, he thought I was after my husband's money. I don't know what ever gave him that impression, I had met my FIL only once before he got the joyous news, so I felt it was rather unfair of him to say something like that. My husband and I agreed (at that time) to keep our finances separate, so we knew his accusations were utterly ridiculous and considering what day care costs (good god!), money was definitely not the motivation behind getting pregnant . . . it was love and only love. It's hard to have "warm and fuzzy" feelings about someone when you are off to that start! (hang in there, it gets better!)

The next thing that happened that set some alarms off is that, when my son was about four weeks old, we had dinner with my MIL and my husband's siblings. My SIL told me, first, how much she disliked my SS's mother and two, that my SS's mother told her that she (my SS's mother) was jealous of the baby. My SIL seemed very pleased to offer this (unsolicited) tidbit, but I was sitting there thinking, okay, you say that you dislike her, but then, how is it she confided in you about her feelings towards my child? I knew right then exactly what the game was, that some members of my husband's family found it amusing to meddle in his relationship with his son.

So anyway, I find this website, liked some of the advice people had to offer and posted a few items about my stepfamily situation, nothing really all that shocking, pretty mild compared to other stuff I have seen. Well, my husband's ex-girlfriend (not my SS's mother) recognized me. I never imagined someone would recognize me, so I didn't take too many pains to hide who I was. The next thing I know, she graciously pulls my SS's mother into it. Both of them proceed to call me names and insult both me and my husband something horrible. I'll admit I got a few digs of my own in (hey, I am not a saint, when provoked, I will have a few things to say).

But, the other thing was, the ex-girlfriend sure knew a lot about my personal life. So I called a family meeting. I asked (without mentioning who I heard what from) why they felt it was necessary to go behind my back, why can't they bring certain issues up to me so that I could address them. They said that they knew I was referring to information given to the ex-girlfriend and to my SS's mother, that they (the ex-girlfriend and my SS's mother) always try to pry information about our affairs out of them and that my FIL "slipped" and told them certain private information about both me and my husband. They then go on to tell me how much they dislike both of them, and my FIL tells me how, while I was pregnant, my SS's mother was threatening to harm my unborn child. This troubled me - what mother wouldn't be troubled by someone wishing harm on her child? I asked my SS's mother whether she said this, she says my FIL lied, she never said that. Whether she's lying or they are lying, I just wish I didn't even know about people making threats (or even inventing threats) against my innocent baby.

So, they admitted they said certain things about me and my husband, but these are the reasons given for what they have done:

1) there was an incident up north where I left because my BIL's kids got their 92 pound rottweiler to jump in the bed in which I was sleeping. I was twelve weeks pregnant at the time, and if it weren't for the fact that my husband rolled over on me and kept the dog from jumping on me, that dog would have been right on top of me. I was very shaken and I just got up and went home without saying a word, mostly because I was crying and would have been incoherent if I tried to even say a word. Forgive me if that was wrong, but I only weighed 120 pounds at the time (and I am down to 115, thanks to the fabulous "chasing a one-year old around the house" diet, LOL), and a 92 pound dog almost landing right on top of my stomach while I was lying on my back, twelve weeks pregnant, was VERY scary.

2) I ate some stuffed cabbage (at my SIL's invitation) while up north. Mind you, every time I go over someone's house I never arrive empty-handed, but, I guess I know now that it's rude to eat food that is offered to you. Forgive my ignorance.

3) My husband's crime? He's a bad father (well, at least that's what these guys say, I think he's been a very good father, since I have been in his life. I can't speak to what kind of father he was before I met him, I wasn't there. But, until I see evidence of him being a bad father, I think I'll keep him). My thought is, even if that's true, how does any of this help him to be a better father?

I can't really say I was surprised that they were going behind my back and my husband's back and spreading gossip. They gossip about everyone, including the ex-girlfriend and my SS's mother. I've heard all about how the ex-girlfriend got cheated on and dumped by her fireman boyfriend (don't know if it's true, that's just the story everyone gets a kick out of circulating).

My husband and I are surprised by her actions, because he truly thought she cared about his son, but how can someone start problems like that if they cared about the children involved? I mean, people crab on internet sites, it's a good way to vent (like I am doing now, feels good to get this all off my chest). For her to go and tell my SS's mother about my post, was that really necessary? I guess that's the risk I took posting stuff on the internet but I've never done anything to her personally. She was so angry and insulting towards me, I really don't know why. My husband saw everything she posted and he was really surprised and disappointed in her. He thought there were no hard feelings between them; they were still friends when I met him. He had no idea she was still so angry with him (they broke up years ago and she broke up with him and started dating someone else right away, at least that's what I have been told). I am just curious why someone would be so malicious.

Well, that's my tale. My question is, what role should my FIL, BIL and SIL play in my life and in my childrens' life? I will never be comfortable around them. If given a choice, I wouldn't bother with them anymore. But, I am willing to do anything my husband asks me to, because I love him. If asks me to "make nice," I will try. As of right now, he is not asking me to do that because he is just as disgusted by all this as I am (maybe even more, considering his own family being so completely unsupportive).

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES