SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zagyzebra_gw

Recessed LED lighting in an old home

zagyzebra
10 years ago

I completely gutted the interior of my 1931 home, but saved the stone exterior and the interesting interior architectural features. I'm about ready to start the rough plumbing and thinking about electrical which will come after that.

I'm very torn about the recessed LEDs that seem to be in EVERY home now -- both old and new. To me, they look like lighting strips on a runway in the ceiling, particularly in large rooms, and feel out of place in homes with distinctive old architectural detailing. When I see them in a house that looks old, I feel like someone is trying to make their home look old, and failing because the lights are a dead giveaway that it isn't truly old. But heck, even the bonafide 1921 guest house I'm renting has them in every room, along with low voltage wiring.

My husband hates them. But I understand the efficiency and ease of them. And they are definitely nicer than the old ceiling mounted overheads. I can see them working in soffits, perhaps hallways, maybe over the stove, over desks, to light stone fireplaces and perhaps art, and as four-corner lighting in smaller rooms with lower ceilings.

In general, what are your opinions on the use of recessed lighting in historic homes? Do they seem out of place, or are they acceptable in limited, strategic use? Nowadays, would people rather have recessed lighting on dimmers (as a real estate agent I know claims) than chandeliers, sconces and pendants? Or is there a divided camp between the lovers of modern and new and the romantics who pine for the old? Should I aspire for a mix of old and new, or just forget about the recessed lighting altogether (which is what my husband would prefer)?

Comments (15)