SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanama_gw

Survey: How long would it take you to...

tanama
18 years ago

I know that the rule of thumb is to esimate how much time something's going to take and then double it, but I thought that it could be helpful to me and many others to do a survey of some common old-house renovation tasks that many people could use as guidelines.

So, how long does it take you to do each of these interior renovation tasks, on average, when there are no dramatic surprises (which we all know to expect on a regular basis)? Feel free to qualify your answers or explain things further. If there are other tasks that you consider fairly common interior renovation tasks, or things you'd like to find out about, add those to the list!

1. Remove the loose paint from an old double-hung window (everything from the frame in) and prepare it for painting (presume no repair needed)?

2. Paint an old double-hung window, including frame, inside the frame, etc.?

3. Strip old wallpaper off a 12' section of wall?

4. Tape and shim-coat a crack in a plaster wall, and prepare to be painted?

5. Repair a small area of broken plaster (under 10 sq inches)?

6. Repair a medium area of broken plaster (10-100 sq inches)?

7. Repair a large area of broken plaster (100+ sq inches)

8. Tear out a section of plaster and replace with (whatever you replace it with)?

9. Refinish a fireplace mantle?

10. Paint the trim in a standard sized room, with simple woodwork, not including windows?

11. Paint the walls in a standard sized room, not including woodwork?

12. Paint the ceiling in a standard sized room, not including woodwork?

13. Lay down a new plywood subfloor in a standard-sized room?

14. Remove a damaged window and replace it with a new window (not including time to find the right window!)?

15. Repair a window that won't open and close easily?

Add your own!!

Comments (3)