SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

Martha's Famous Lobster Casserole

User
14 years ago

I mentioned on the TGIF post that I was making this for guests this weekend and was asked to post the recipe.

The "Martha" is Martha Greenlaw who collaborated w/ her daugher, Linda, on a cookbook called "Recipes From A Very Small Island." Linda was the swordfish boat captain who had a prominent role in the book "The Perfect Storm" and a portrayal in the movie. These days she captains a lobster boat in Maine and works as a writer. Her mom is a great home cook. Their's is one of my "go to" cookbooks, especially in summertime.

Martha's Famous Lobster Casserole

Ingredients:

4 TBS (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

4 TBS all-purpose flour

2 cups light cream

3 TBS madeira or medium-dry sherry

1 egg yolk

1 TBS minced yellow onion

1 TBS minced parsley

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Dash of cayenne pepper

5 to 6 cups cooked lobster meat, cut into bite-sized chunks

1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs

2 TBS grated Parmesan cheese

2 TBS (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Serves 6-8

1. Butter a shallow 2 quart baking dish.

2. In a large saucepan or deep skillet, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook over medium heat, whisking, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the cream, bring to a simmer, and cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and thick, 3 to 4 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together the sherry and egg yolk. Whisk a little of the hot sauce in to temper the egg yolk, then whisk the egg yolk mixture into the hot sauce. Add the onion, parsley, salt, pepper, celery seed, and cayenne, and stir in the lobster meat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, sprinkle with the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, and drizzle with the melted butter. (The casserole can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead to this point and refrigerated.)

3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

4. If cold, bake the casserole, loosely covered with foil for the first 15 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the crumbs are lightly browned, a total of about 35 minutes. If freshly prepared, bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes.

Note: You get about 1 cup of meat from a 1 1/4-pound lobster - a little less if it's a soft-shell

--------

My Own Note: What I like best about this casserole over others I've had is that the lobster is not drowned in heavy sauce. The seasonings are just enough to enhance the flavor of the lobster, but not overpower it.

Hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do!

Comments (12)