SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorifromutah

~Can we Talk Whiplash?

LorifromUtah
16 years ago

Yes kids, it's me.

Morons who don't leave enough space between their vehicle and others (in this case MY vehicle) are a pain in the neck.

Literally.

Friday night, about six pm I was heading to Orem, Utah for the state drill team tournament. Rush hour.

Some guy in a blue ford pickup was getting tail gated. Annoying yes. Dangerous. Of course! But he was taking matters into his own hands and would slam on his brakes to back people off.

Then he'd speed up.

I got out of that lane.

I don't have time to play stupid games at freeway speeds.

I don't know for sure but I think the truck driver got into my lane (the far right; I was getting ready to exit) and started educating a million drivers about tailgating. Apparently he was very annoyed with the SUV in front of me because the SUV fellow kept slamming on his brakes.

So I backed off some more.

The guy behind me didn't. But he'd been on my license plate since Heber City. I guess I was in his way?

The fellow in front braked briefly, I braked briefly, checked my rear view mirror to see if the guy behind was going to run over me then looked up to see the SUV STOPPED in the travel lane.

I stood on the brakes with both feet and put down ten feet of tire tread but I got shut down about five fee from him.

The guy behind me and the guy behind him wasn't so lucky? Smart? Whatever you want to call it I had nowhere to go except into the concrete barrier.

So he slammed into my.

I watched in through my rearview mirror.

It was very weird and in slow motion.

Even his airbags (yes, both of them) deployed slowly.

Then a smaller SUV hit HIM which sent him into ME again.

I hadn't taken my feet off the brakes (I was braced against them. and pushing into the seat) so I got whammied twice.

The guy in the lead SUV got out, wandered back and started inspecting his bumper. Then he looked angrily at me.

I was fuming anyway because I'd taken every possible precaution to protect MYSELF and look where I was? Late for a drill team meeting (I had all the prizes) in a metal sandwich on the freeway not a quarter miles away from my exit.

Then this guy wants to play the blame game. (Turns out he'd kissed the Ford pickup truck's bumper. The Ford truck took off and instead of pulling off into the injury lane he STOPPED in the LANE OF TRAFFIC!)

I piled out and yelled, rather loudly, ARE YOU ALRIGHT? WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

He backed off and so did I. I really didn't want things to turn ugly....

Nobody was hurt initially and I called nine one one .

Since I wasn't scared but pi$$I was very accurate and precise with my directions.

The highway patrolman (who, I swear, was about twelve years old. Honest! He was smooth faced!) told me to note my hip was sore on the report because at the time, that's all that hurt and the deal was done in about forty five minutes.

We'd told the patrolman about the pickup truck and he wrote down the information. Just up the road there was another five car pileup. I wonder if the truck drive was going to educate everyone from Orem to St. George?

This is a good testament to driving a big car.

The clips came off the bumper on the left side and my truck won't close completely. It's a late ninety Buick LESabre and it's like driving a boat. Both cars behind me had to be towed. The middle car is trashed and the last little SUV had some major front end damage.

I'm lucky.

All I have is a sore neck, back and hip.

What do I do now?

The cords up both sides of my neck are very sore; it hurts to touch them. I'm getting fast, quick twinges in my middle and lower back. The hip where the seat belt was clipped is bruised. My ankles even hurt!

I didn't start really hurting until yesterday morning but couldn't miss the drill tournament so I took a ibuprofen to keep the pain down (and today my stomach hurts because of it) and napped when I could.

This morning I am in a bad way. I took a hot shower until the tank went dry, drank some milk for my sore tummy (could that be due to the wreck and not the ibruprofen?) and took Tylenol. I've got Digger hunting for BioFreeze and will apply when she finds it...IF she finds it...and am just taking it easy.

How serious is this?

Should I go to an ER tonight or wait to get into my MD tomorrow?

Hugs accepted but only small, quick ones.

I hurt, remember?

And advice. I need too advice.

You can tell me stories too if you want.

I doubt I'll be doing much of anything today...

I luvs ya all~

Comments (32)