SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawk307

What's For Dinner #246

hawk307
16 years ago

Looks like no one want's to post, so I'll give it a shot.

I haven't been in here for about 5 weeks and don't know where I left off . I think I was working on my Pond and Waterfall. I completed it and thought I'd put in a couple of Photo's

{{gwi:1555154}}

Closeup:

{{gwi:1555156}}

Comments (102)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Annie : Somehow I missed your thread and you had more of my favorite foods, except the Mexican stuff.
    Can't do that. I like that Omlette though.
    I'll send you some Prevacid pills, then you can make some Spaghetti Sauce.

Kathleen: I can take care of the prayer thing for you.
    My wife has a Prayer, Bible Study Group.Send me an email with your neighbor's name.

Nancy: I'm going to NW Michigan to visit a friend. I think I'll bring the Squirrel with me and release it there.
    It is very docile.
    A Chipmonk got me . Grabbed my finger instead of the peanut, I was giving him.
    Lou

PS : Did I miss anyone ??? TS

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Messy bird coop Mme. M.

We took Thumper to see Transformers, thinking we'd be bored to tears, but Jim and I actually enjoyed the movie as well.

In regards to my disdain for frying, when it was all said and done, my kitchen looked and smelled like a greasy spoon. No, no, my dear friend, never again. I would rather eviscerate myself with a rusty x-acto knife than have to live with the greasy smell of Le Chateau Blech.
    I'll check out GB in a few minutes and see what you're up to there.

Kathleen, your shrimp looks delicious. And your friend's cottage is in a wonderfully picturesque setting. Oh, to wake up to that view every morning.

I will keep your friend in our thoughts as well. In our family we have also dealt with cancer, so I'm well aware of this monster's capabilities.

Michelle, you have a lovely house. I would've never seen it, if not for the previous comments. Being on dial-up, I often have to type while pictures are still loading, and sometimes miss a few images.

Last night, we ate out again - surprise! But I have some spare ribs I have to do something with, so that'll probably be dinner tonight.

Sol

• Related Discussions

Homelite 246Y Super E-Z Saw

Q

Comments (0)
    Does anyone know what air gap between the coil and flywheel would be? Thanx in advance!
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More

What’s for dinner #411 Late Spring 2024

Q

Comments (0)
    Sunday roast chicken with tarragon stuffing that’s trying to escape the bird. You can tell DH prepared the vegetables because the carrots are in rounds which I never do. He made the gravy as well.
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    16 years ago

Lou: When and Where?

But leave the squirrel home!

Nancy

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nancy : I was only kidding but I do have afriend up there.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Kathleen, your friend has been added to my prayer list, asking for strength and a quick recovery and cure. And her mother is 94? Wow, she does have a full "plate"!

Lou, I take Prevacid. It doesn't help if I eat too many tomatoes with onions, or tomatoes in a spicy or herb sauce. I can usually get away with a tomato sandwich, a BLT, sometimes even a bowl of tomato soup, but it's iffy. Those tomatoes just upset me. Once in a while I have chili anyway, just because I love it, but I tend to stay away from the other stuff. Thanks, though, you're a sweetheart, and you don't need to send me a squirrel either!

Oh, and Michelle, I must have missed that cast iron fish mold. Elery's sister, Susan, bought me one on clearance, it's cast iron and meant to bake cornbread in, I think. Is yours like that, makes 6 little fish?

Annie

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Well, I'm back from Vancouver and slowly getting into cooking. Dick didn't get back till Tues night from Alaska and his fish arrived yesterday. It was to be 40lb of halibut and 45 of salmon but he said when he unpacked, there was more salmon. Oh well....but I know he was really disapppointed in the packing mistake. The 4 men share all they caught and one packer prepares and mails. So it was just a case of ...fill two boxes.

Tonight is posole that I had started before vacation but realized I had no hominy. So tonight it's soup and a peach cobbler. To h*ll with no desserts. Everything in moderation so we'll have to stretch this cobbler out to at least TWO days. ;-)

We had a token bit of rain today but nothing to write home about. Bless my catsitter...she did a great job in keeping my herbs afloat. My neighbor had a dried up garden, but the figs are flourishing in this heat, as is the peach tree that borders our yard. Small but fairly tasty. Maureen

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Sol I am and was there and saved your 2 glorious shots..I cannot believe how terribly artistic vous êtes..That baby doll:) The cake ..So pretty ..was she happy? Over my moon?

I know re frying~ Yucko..Hate the smell I can smell people that have been in a fried food establishment! I try and fry.. outdoors..It is very seldom here..General Tao Crispy Chicken Salad....Coconut Shrimp and soon Cannolis!!

DEHORS!!!

:)

Kathleen..I won't repeat myself here but so glad Ina made it!The C word:( Yes healing thoughts.. Do you do Novenas? I love those!)

Annie..

Monique, it's scary how happy I am with Elery!

Best words!

I hope they last forever and ALL thst food looks great!

I did cook..Hooked on home made pasta now and made home made italian sausage raviolis.. pics still in the camera..I don't have high hopes..Gloomy as heck here:)

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Meant to add this one of us in Vancouver...actually the ONLY one of us. I can't believe we ate and didn't get pics of us.

I'll be posting the rest in the Gallery tomorrow. The food WAS good and looks even better in that northern light that you see so often in Ann and Monique's pics. Maureen

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

The forum is so slow or maybe I am in high gear. Could be everyone is either on vacation or getting children ready for school. August is always such a stressful month for parents.

Rainy and gloomy here too Monique. And it has been this way all week which is unusual for IL in August.

Annie, yes my cast iron fish form has 6 fish. I bought it about 25 years ago at a garage sale in MI. It is my last piece of Lodge Cast Iron from my collection. I sold my collection off piece by piece shortly after I was married.

Since it's cooled a bit I finally made Lori's Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage and Cream and it was absolutely outstanding. And I would most definitely make it again and recommend to all. And, for the first time since the Sausagethon, I used my own homemade Mild Italian Sausage and it felt so good to just pull it out of the freezer...LOL! My picture is not as pretty as Lori's but here it is anyways.

I made Annie's Salsa this afternoon and will can it later on tonight. Oh MY...my kitchen smelled so heavenly with the cilantro!

My home was a bee hive of activity today and I am pooped and heading for my air tub to relax a bit before canning.

Michelle

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Monique, oui, :-] our niece was tickled "pink" with the cake. She's a very girly-girl and Pink is her favorite color.

She had been busy with work and school (she's an MSU student, studying Psychology) when she discovered -much to her delight- that she was pregnant. We are all very happy for her, as this is her first successful pregnancy. Her previous miscarriage was, understandably, devastating to her, but she is so excited and so ready to welcome this little girl into the world, as we all are. I'll send you a picture of her at the baby shower.

Btw, I made the best Spareribs . . . in the world last night. Tee hee.

Tonight, we're either going to our favorite italian restaurant, or just grabbing a pizza. Either way, it'll be a great day. Hope it'll be the same for you.

Sol

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone..an AnnT photo really? I'm honored!

Everyone's meals look yummy...

Lou, love your furry and feathered friends!

Here's a teaser of our dinner tonight. It's that recipe I posted at Easter, and resurfaced for Bobby a few weeks back. Grilled Beer Can Chicken with Smokey Barbeque Rub & Bourbon Butter..and the finished slather is Maple BBQ Sauce.
    I didn't have cans of beer, so I poured out half of a can of Mt Dew each, and poured in Light Lager after making room. :o)

{{gwi:1555196}}

Up close and personal...{{gwi:1555197}}

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Sol, congratulations to the new Mom and all the best to her and the new baby!

Maureen, that food looks just...well...amazing. The flan with gooseberries is beautiful, the pork looks delicious, so does the calamari. Well, pretty much everything looks good enough to eat!

Annie

• User
    16 years ago

Michelle that looks wonderful! I did a search but could not come up with Lori's recipe. Could you share please.

Terri, I love doing beer can chicken for a crowd a t the cottage, more for the entertainment value than anything else.

Annie that food looks delish , especially the frittata.

Lou....what can I say except you're the pizza guy!

Ann I love the look of that pasta dish, never though of serving a stuffed pepper with pasta..thud!

Kathleen, I love the crab in those little dishes and my thoughts are with your friend.

Last night we had friends for dinner . I made chicken souvlaki but served it in a pita (taco style). It was a huge hit!

The chicken was cooked on skewers but then everyone "unloaded" the meat on to a pocketless pita that had been brushed with olive oil and lightly grilled. Toppings were , tzatziki, diced tomatoes, feta, chopped lettuce and olives. Will be doing this one again soon. Great casual entertaining meal.

The weather has really cooled so tonight's dinner will be spaghetti and meatballs with a Caesar salad.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Chase, that souvlaki "bar" sounds sooo wonderful!

My little fella's are just about up to temp..Took a bit longer than expected, but the wind is blowing quite well..so I think that had something to do with it..or maybe the fact that one burner was heating up that whole 3 burner grill? LOL

I think I'll add some kind of potato dish to our meal, or maybe just good ol Baked Mac N Cheese. And I'm about to head back to the kitchen to make some dessert..Maybe LindaC's lemon pie, but sans the meringue..Or AnnT's Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake??? Oh and put a batch of Honey Wheat Roll dough into the bread machine..Need some dinner rolls and sandwich rolls for tomorrows "BBQ" chicken sandwich leftovers.
    I better get on it!

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

"as this is her first successful pregnancy. Her previous miscarriage was, understandably, devastating to her,"

I know all too well what that means...Personally..then Lucas entered our world..And Walt Disney entered too !And the Tooth Fairy and Cars.. and Baby Einstein.. and why do I have an inflatable pool and a high chair and crib..?

You are a nice nice auntie you..

Also..onne of my daughter's bestest friends..has had 5 miscarriages.. She is now 4.5 months along! We are all so very excited!

Do you ship marzi babies?:)Kidding:)

Terri your chicken looks SCRUMPTIOUSLY.. meenam.

Mo..(Is that ok? ) I am a minimal speller...I am looking forward to Annie's salsa here soon..

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Well here's last night's posole...darn good I might say.

And don't mind me while I gloat...I love looking at this peach collection.

Tonight...grilled hot dogs and a green bean spinach salad from whole foods. I spent the HOT (96) afternoon doing errands. Dick had leftover peach cobbler and I had a praline ice cream cone.

Tomorrow night I am going to dinner (just me!) with a new dining group in DC I joined. It's a restaurant that is pretty expensive but this is the tail end of restaurant week, and they have a $30. tasting menu..of three courses. Bless Dick, he is easy going when I have a personal excursion like this. Next dinner, it'll be the two of us going. Maureen

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Got back late for supper, after running to doctor's and the hospital.
    So, I don't have time now to comment on all the Great Food and Photo's .
    We had a late lunch at the Olive Garden. I had Seafood Alfredo.
    It was good but not as good as the 4 lb. Stuffed Chicken, I just tested.

This is for tommorrow's Dinner, just out of the oven.

No Frills or Hassle, Stuffed and Trussed, Down Home, Roasted Chicken.
    Just sprinkled with Spices and Stuffed with Old Fashioned Stuffing.
    Damn It is good !!!!!! Now I have to finish the Gravy.

{{gwi:1555201}}

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

WOW Lou! Your chicken looks fabulous!

Here is Lori's recipe for Bowties with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream. My changes are in ()'s. It really is just delicious and you will not be disappointed.

Bowties with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I used Cayenne Pepper)
    1/2 cup diced onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 28-ounce can Italian diced tomatoes (I used fresh tomatoes, diced)
    1-1/2 cups whipping cream (no heavy cream so I used 1 c. cream)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 pound bowtie pasta
    3 tablespoons fresh minced basil

Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage, crumble and cook in oil with crushed pepper until sausage is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook another 5-7 minutes until tender. Drain tomatoes, chop coarsely and stir into sausage along with cream, salt and basil. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes.

In a separate pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta al dente. Drain pasta and add to simmering sauce. Garnish with Parmesan and parsley. Serves 4.

Source: An Appetite for Art, copyright 2001

Michelle

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Dinner tonight? for me just a reservation....

It's a place that ordinarily would be a bit too pricey for me/us. Tonight's a tasting menu and I'll be glad to be with a group that takes pictures. Maureen

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

We grilled pizza tonight for the first time. I need practice. We used dough from the pizzeria. SO much for thin crust. At least we managed not to poke our fingers through the dough :) Needs work but it tasted good! Larry charred the first one with his method, turn all the burners to high and close the lid! I turned the burners down and the second one came out better, but not perfect. Tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, and mushrooms and mozzarella. The cheese got watery. Tasted pretty good! I guess next time I won't use fresh mozzarella?

{{gwi:1555202}}

{{gwi:1555203}}

• User
    16 years ago

Dishes stick with it, grilled pizza is so good.

I start the grill on high, both sides and when fully heated turn turn one side right off and the other to medium heat.

Place the oiled pizza dough on the medium heat side, flip it as soon as it is golden (no time at all). Dress the golden side and immediately move to the off side...close the lid and wait a few minutes . Works like a charm.

Any veggies like mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes get grilled/sauted prior to making the pizza. Funny about the fresh moz, I use it all the time becasue the rubber moz doesn't melt in time. BTW Feta and olives is a nice combo...

16 years ago

Thanks, Sharon, I'll definitely give it another go, we really liked it, just that the mozzarella got sort of like milk. Maybe if I freeze it a bit and slice it thinner next time. I didn't saute the mushrooms first! Thanks for the help! You know, the feta and olives sound good, got me thinking it would be nice to have a greek salad pizza on top of the grilled dough.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Some mighty fine looking meals everyone has been having. I will take one of each.

I haven't been around the last few days, first our electricity was off for over 7 hours one night and then for a couple of hours during the day on Friday. In all it was off 4 days in a row for any where from a few minutes to hours. I hope whatever the problem was, it has been fixed. Then I decided it was time to do some jams and another batch of salsa. This time it is a HOT one, no more sissy salsa for us! My little guys folks were happy that I made salsa with "substance" and they took a couple jars last night along with a jar of the chocolate raspberry jam. I finished the blackberry jam and the apricot jam this afternoon.

Decided I had better start cooking or I may get fired! Dinner was Parmesan-Sage Pork Chops with fresh veggies.

• san_
    16 years ago

ah--good advice i'm sure! my first (and only!) attempt at grilled pizza was way less than hoped for but i can think of half a dozen things i didn't do right. thanx chase--we will try again!

the week has been a blur--so hard to return from vacation and get back into work!!! i know we've had several good meals but they simply aren't subject to recall by me. i can say that last night we had daisy's meatloaf, mr hartman's dutch potato filling that i turned into more of a potato casserole and cindy's cabbage au gratin. just a real real comfort food meal for our unseasonably cool temps! i can hardly wait for tomorrow's meat loaf sandwiches at lunch--it will be fabulous i know! tonight we are grilling angus rib eye steaks and will have some green beans and mushrooms. nothing not to like there!

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dishesdone: Why don't you try Provolone Cheese instead of Mozzelella on part of the Pizza ?????????????????

Maybe not, you might like it!!!
    LOU

16 years ago

Lou, I love provolone! I will like it, LOL!

I will try it :)

Good idea!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Here's the photo of my BBQ chicken Dinner from the other day. The Beer Butt Chicken, roasted potatoes, fresh Yakima corn, green salad and Honey Wheat Roll.
    {{gwi:1555208}}
    I know I'm behind..LOL
    Lastnights Dinner~
    We had BBQ'd Ribs, Baked Mac N Cheese, Steamed Broc and Cauli and Biscuits. (Didn't take a picture, I was too hungry!)

Not sure of tonights dinner yet...

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just popped in here for a moment and scrolled backwards,
    3 threads to,
    Marigene's and Terri's :
    I hate you both.( My favorite foods ) I didn't eat yet and I'm starving.
    Got to run and get something to eat. I'll be back later,
    to run further up the thread.
    Don't have much time lately. Too many hospital trips.

Dishesdone : That's all I used in my Pizzeria.
    When I ran out and used Mozzarella the customers complained.
    I cooked the Pizza first with the Sauce and
    put it on, for the last few minutes of Baking.
    Talk to you all later.
    lou

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Terri, your bbq chicken dinner is awesome!

We had chicken tenders with a potato cake, summer squash casserole, minus the cream of chicken soup and garden fresh cukes and tomatoes. Dessert, a small piece of fresh peach custard tart. I have spent most of the day baking and still have to do the almond cakelets for a birthday tomorrow.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hate you even more. I didn't have any Peach Custard Tart for Dessert.

Now, I'll have to get some Ice Cream and bannanas.

LOU

16 years ago

Didn't cook tonight, we ordered in pasta and pizza.

We baked Sol's Dirt Bombs today at camp. I doubled the recipe and we got tons of Dirt Bombs for the counselor's and some to bring home to a friend of mine to try! I brought in the cardamom and the nutmeg from home, and managed to find everything else I needed in camp. They were a big hit! I had to make copies of the recipe to pass around!

{{gwi:1555216}}

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

DUFFINS! LOL or as Kian, my 15 yr old called them, Mufnuts...LOL Yummm, I need to make those again!

Marigene...that tart..yummm..the breads...wow...

Dinner here was Breakfast..
    Oven baked bacon, POOF'd Blueberry waffles, scrambled eggs and cheese for the guys, fried egg for me, oh and a few english muffins and sausage patties...
    Iced tea, milk or Chocolate milk...

Lou, you can't hate me...it's just not possible..

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

It rained and rained and rained all weekend and at times was cold too. So today we had roast chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy. It tasted so good, I knew we should have bought 2 of those chickens!

Marigene, your tart would have been a perfect dessert tonight!

Marilyn, what's in all your jars?

Michelle

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Marigene, one beautiful tart! Have you posted that recipe? I need a nice dessert for this Sat. Sherry (sheshebop) and Roger are coming for dinner. Peach harvest is in full swing here.

I've been making Peach Jam and Peach Butter.

My toast this morning with some of the extra peach butter that didn't fit in a jar..

Dinner last night was fried rice and my version of Cap't Crunch Chicken. I've ordered it twice at a local restaurant recently so had to try it myself. I used a jarred sauce, Thai BBQ (strong orange flavor) with it and Kim used some Apple Chipotle Salsa with her's. Quick and easy dinner...I'll even confess...the rice was Rice a Roni! I was making the peach butter at the same time.

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Nancy, gorgeous peach things in jars..
    Care to share your recipes?..I need to go pick peaches...I really do...
    That peach butter is such a lovely fresh color!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Oh Nancy! The Peach Butter looks fabulous! Please post your recipe.

Michelle

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terri : I don't want the peach butter recipe.
    I want a Jar of Nancy's already made. Whooeeie !!!

If you have any pull and can swing it, I'll recant my last statement, about you.
    Don't tell though. I'm writing this email in a low voice, so no one can hear.

How would that be on my Fluffly Cheesecake, for topping ???

Lou

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Dirt bombs, our favorites. Need to make some this weekend!

Michelle, your roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy are making me very hungry.

Nancy, beautiful jams and butters; the color is spectacular. Oh, and I don't have a recipe for the tart. I just mix up a few eggs, half and half, about a quarter teaspoon of almond extract; not too much as it can be overpowering, some vanilla and a little Vietnamese cinnamon. I used to use nutmeg but Howard prefers the cinnamon. I was going to use the Fiori di Sicilia last night but forgot until I had already put the almond and vanilla extracts in. There is always a next time around here!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Lou, it would be Peachy Keen on your Cheesecake!

I want the recipes..if I get them..I'll send you some...

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I'll type up the recipe this evening. Thought I could be quick and find it online...but couldn't.

Watch for a new thread.

Lou, it would be fabulous on cheesecake!

Nancy

• Marigene
    16 years ago

If I don't post this now I will forget or get so far behind and never catch up. It felt cooler today or maybe it was my imagination, so I made some old fashioned corn chowder. I hate to say it but I am about corned out!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Wow, I have been missing a few days, and so much has been going on, caning, and beautiful peach tarts and beerbutts, and bread and corn chowder, too much to catch up on. I am very inspired by all the jams, etc. I would love to try the peach butter. Local Peaches here are $2.00 a lb. Is that the going rate?
    Last night we had corn on the cob for dinner, I was gone all day, and today we were out in the rain. Made the hour trip to Costco to get the ice cream machine they said they had, but they didn't. Apparently, no one makes ice cream after Aug 15th and they shipped them back to Cuisinart! Got home late so I made some sweedish meatballs and gravy and noodles, and red cabbage. I will really have to make a better dinner tomorrow!

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I bought my peaches right at the orchard. They are Red Havens and a good sized peach. They were $16.00 for a half bushel, around 25 lbs. that's about $.64 a lb. So yes your $2.00 a lb is pretty high. On the other hand....if you were to make peach butter, using 4 1/2 lbs of peaches @ 2.00 a lb your cost would be roughly 9.00 for peaches and add the sugar, lemon and 8 canning lids...total right around $12.00...OR...$1.50 per 8 oz jar! I know there is a value for time and electricity...but even at 2.00 a jar...it's well worth it. Don't forget I live in the Michigan orchard country so I probably get a better deal. At work we sell 7 oz jars of jams and fruit butters at an avg price of $7.50 a jar. High quality...but so are the ones I make. :))

BTW, your quick Swedish Meatball dinner looks great!

Nancy

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marigene: I remember when you couldn't wait for the local corn.
    Can't keep you women happy !

Kathleen : Making Spaghetti sauce with Brown Gravy ???
    What kind of Italian are you ?

That's one of my favorites, I don't make too often. WHY ?

I notice you and Marigene won't talk to me,
    when I don't post any Wildlife Photo's , so here's another,I took at 7 pm.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lou: Thanks for the corn !
    I'm gonna lay here a while and wait for some goodies.

{{gwi:1555227}}

That's a Stone Sculpture I made to cover the Ceptic Tank Lid. It's Hollow. Thought I'd throw in an Idea.
    Lou

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I agree with Nancy, even those those peaches are expensive it's definately worth it! Dinner looks good to Kathleen!

Lou, what a great idea..although my hatches are in a wierd place and it would like even odder to see rocks where they are now. LOL

Cute neighbors you have too Lou!

Marigene, that chowder looks good, but that's to small a bowl for good "soup". LOL

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I was at my market tonight and they had Red Havens for $.99 lb. But my market has specials like this all the time when produce is in season. Yummmmm....I can almost taste your meatballs with purple cabbage.

Marigene, the chowder looks fantastic. Could you share your recipe, please. Love the soup cup and plate!

Lou, good idea with the rock. I put a birdbath over our septic lid.

The mosquitos have hatched and they're the teeny weeny ones that hang around the door just waiting for any opportunity to get inside. Grrrrrrr.........

I had left over roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy tonight and it was just as good as last night! I don't know what Joe had for dinner as I was busy but it probably involved lettuce and tomatoes in some way or another.

OH.....I finally found my long-lost canning jars. Guess now, I will have to fill 'em up with something. It's like a disease and I can't stop!

Michelle

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Wow! Great looking stuff. Nancy your peach butter looks sooooo good! Too bad I am coming for supper and not breakfast on Saturday, lol.

Michelle, the canning is a disease. DH and I put up 16 pints of Annie's salsa last night. We did 16 pints two weeks ago also, and gave 6 to my son who adores the salsa.

Marigene, I adore corn chowder, and I am NOT corned out yet. The corn we are getting from the local veggie market is the sweetest I have ever had, and I could eat it every night! And that bread, yummers. I also would love a slice of that peach tart.

Kathleen, your meatballs are making my tummy growl. Yum.

Lou, your pond is fabulous. I have bought several book son making ponds, cause I want one in my backyard. Someday I will have one. Just too many other things have priority right now.

Dishes, those dirt bombs look super. I have not tried them yet. So many recipes, so little time... sigh

Terri pacnw, I would have loved to be sitting at your barbecue table. It looked so good.

And Ann's moussaka, and Annie's everything, and I really got excited as Maureen's canning bounty. I knew there was a reason I don't come here often. I get too hungry!

Last night I had a stuffed pepper, and I must say it was the best I have ever made. Tonight will be grilled chicken breast. I have had the chicken marinading in a wonder garlic marinade since yesterday. Then corn on the cob and some friend potatoes. I am looking forward to supper.
    Sherry

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Lou, I'm Irish, but we do have Italian meatballs and sauce often, LOL.
    I agree, Nancy, the peach butter would still be a bargain. I think the local peaches are more expensive. I could prob get them at a better price at the store, but I couldn't resist the local ones! I do want to try your butter!
    I am not into canning, YET, so if I make one batch, can I put them in lidded plastic and freeze them?
    I haven't tried those dirt bombs yet either! So many good recipes to try here, thank you all for your inspiration and extra lbs!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I am not sure if a Fruit Butter would freeze well or not. Why not just can the butter? A dozen 1/2 pint ball jars are less then $7 and they come with the lids. You can can 1/2 pints in your soup pot as the BWB just needs to be above the lid by about 1". You can get canning jars and most of the equipment at your local hardware store.

It is so easy to can and you can adapt equipment if need be. And 1/2 pints are not heavy like qts so you can use tongs to lift the 1/2 pints in and out of the BWB. I used my tongs for years before buying a jar lifter. But it is easier with a Lifter and a lifter is usually less the $4.

Michelle

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Kathleen, just did a search, and several recipes for peach butter said to freeze for longer storage, so freeze away. :o)