SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrliquid

Drywall over Plaster plus new electrical

MrLiquid
11 years ago

I've recently purchased a 90 year old home and I'm going to start renovating it. There's several items that I need to do but the first is bring the electrical up to code so I can get homeowners on it. Right now it's covered by Construction Insurance.

While doing the electrical I was going to put up new drywall since the plaster is cracked pretty much all over the house plus the previous residents liked abusing the walls.

My idea was that I'd either put 1.5" studs/strips directly on top of the plaster and then run electrical in the deadspace plus foam sheet insulation, next, hang the drywall on the studs.

The other option since I'll be cover the plaster is that I take a holesaw and drill out 3"-4" holes in the plaster and run electrial behind the plaster then fill that area with foam or blown in insulation. Then hang drywall directly on top of the plaster.

I know I'll have issues with window sills and doors but that's fine as I'm renovating everything.

Anyone have any other suggestions or think one of those ideas would be a good solution?

Thanks!!!!

Comments (23)