SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Xpost in Baths, Can I Skim Coat New Bathroom Drywall and Plaster?

enduring
11 years ago

Can I skim coat new bathroom drywall and plaster Walls?

I have dry walled my bathroom and have finished the seams. I have primed the whole room with Gardz in preparation to do a skim coat. My ceiling is old stable plaster with some paint still intact and areas of bare plaster where I peeled paint off. The walls are new drywall. There will be a tub in the room but no shower other than a hand held spray at the tub filler. I will surround the tub with Hardibacker and use Hydroban to prep for tile around the alcove tub. There is now an exhaust fan installed.

Now the next step. I would like to skim coat to even out the stabilized peeling paint edges on my plaster ceiling. Also smooth out the wall surface of the mixed textures of joint compound, and drywall paper. After the planned skim coat, I would go over the skim coat with Gardz, to protect the new skim coat, and prep for paint. I was going to use the pre wetted drying type joint compound, thinned a bit with water, rolled on and then knifed smooth. This is one technique that the US Gypsum site demonstrates in a video, for a level 5 finish.

I have read that sometimes the drying type joint compound softens in moist areas like a bathroom. I have read that sometimes people recommend setting type compounds like Easy Sand to skim coat. I know the skim coat is VERY thin and maybe my concerns are unnecessary. But here goes.

My concerns:

1) Bathroom moisture causing the drying type joint compound to soften, causing paint to blister.

2) Easy Sand, if used instead, producing a surface that is not smooth.

3) Will either skim coat method stay adhered to the surface as prepped? - out lined above.

4) Will paint maintain its integrity with either of these surfaces.

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments (2)