SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyfiddler

Customer Service - a dead art

amyfiddler
11 years ago

Yesterday I was in Michaels craft for a crochet needle. TMI. anyway, I over heard the woman in front of me in line upset because there was an item she needed that evidently you take the card from off the floor and hand it to the cashier and she will retrieve the item from a secure place - evidently these items are small and expensive, high theft items.

So the woman brought up the card, and the cashier looked and came back and said "we're all out." The woman was annoyed and asked "why do you put the cards out on the floor then if you are out? That is deceptive." The cashier apologized and the woman walked away.

What I found interesting was this - customer ran into the manager on the way out, and voiced her complaint to him. "why do you put cards on the floor when you don't have the product?" He replied, THREE times, "that's corporate policy." Every time he said this, she got louder and angrier. He kept repeating the same thing.

Here is my thought. The guy really needs a lesson in customer service. People want to be heard, and know that they are being taken care of. Fair or not, it's the truth. That woman will likely never return, as she does not perceive she has a friend or an allie at Michaels. What he could have said was, "I totally agree with you." "That makes a lot of sense." "I hear that sister!" "That must be very frustrating for you." I promise that any one of those statements would have led to a calmer response from her than repeating over and over the corporate policy garbage. Abdocating blame seldom works under any circumstance.

I would love to teach customer service - sometimes it's a matter of skill rather than an unwillingness to serve. The public is very difficult to manage, but if you look at any store that excells in customer service, you are likely to see a successful business.

Comments (15)