SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

thread on slow cookers?

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

Does anyone know if there was a previous thread on slow cooker tips and recipes? I couldn't find one in a search but I think we've talked about them in depth before. If anyone has saved any of the recipes or previous threads or has any tips to help prevent me from making brown sludge in this thing I'd certainly appreciate it!

My boyfriend's mom gave me an old unused one last night (I guess that means I'm really part of the family now, huh? getting old unused appliances LOL) and I want to put it to good use. I have considered getting one throughout the years, but I never wanted to spend the money on something I didn't know if I'd use. The ones I've seen in the thrift stores have been missing the knob or lid, or just so full of rust I passed them by. This one isn't one I'd have chosen on my own (there's a bit of rust, but not too bad, it has a glass crock instead of stoneware and I don't think glass holds heat as well, and the cord is detachable which means I'll lose it), but for free I'm certainly not complaining!

I've seen some recipes that call for the cooker to not have any liquid in it. Is that a safe thing to do? I don't think I'm going to be leaving this on all day while I'm at work... it's from the 70's and I don't know if I can trust it not to catch fire!

Well , I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, guess a dutch oven is next on the list!

I've got a chicken curry recipe in it now. Maybe I can do boiled peanuts in it! I did a roast in my pressure cooker when first bought it and was not happy with it, so maybe the slow cooker will be just wanted I need!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: the first recipe in slow cooker....

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022