SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heartandhome_gw

married to a conflict avoider

heartandhome
14 years ago

My husband and I really enjoy our marriage and get along very well together day in day out. Because of this, we often go months with virtually no issue whatsoever. However, when a conflict does arise, it becomes a really bad argument, with him threatening divorce, saying maybe we just shouldn't be together, and blaming me for "making things complicated." ??? This always strikes me as so harsh and confusing, and it also really hurts my feelings because I am definitely not a nagging wife or even person for that matter. Truly the only time I bring something up is if it really bothers me. But his immediate reaction is to tell me to calm down, it's not a big deal, or that I'm being ridiculous. Or, if I'm venting to him about being frustrated with someone ELSE, a lot of the times he'll "take the side" of the person or situation I'm frustrated with. And then suddenly what was totally unrelated is now a fight between us. Cause I point out to him that I just need him to listen and be there for me, rather than shut me out or play devil's advocate. And his response is to deny that that's what he's doing. At that point, I'll admit, sometimes I'll give up and either raise my voice a little or leave the room but that's only because we've "been there, done that" before and I know that once he's in the "denial" / "it's your problem, not mine mode" then there's no chance of "reasoning" with him. He then typically calls me crazy and says I need to get control. I end up feeling so belittled and as if I can NEVER have a bad day or EVER bring up an issue. All I want is to be able to have a mature, healthy disagreement when one does come up. But how can I do that when he immediately sends the message that what's on my mind is "ridiculous" ...i.e. not important. When that's his automatic point of view, there's no hope for him "hearing" me on the issue, much less helping me to "resolve" it. I've always known he does not like conflict and would much rather brush things under the rug. I don't like conflict either, but conflict is bound to occur from time to time and when it does,it needs to be addressed and THEN forgotten about, vs. "kept in" , denied, or ignored from the get go. Otherwise, it just gets built up and then reallly leashes out down the road. I'm in this marriage because I love him and want to grow with him as we spend our life together. How can we grow if he doesn't recognize it's a two way street?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor