SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntt_hou

Jessyf's request for VNmese Pho (Noodle soup)

ntt_hou
15 years ago

Hi Jessyf! Actually, I've been around for awhile on and off.

Some about me. I love to cook and do not just stick with VNmese food. I'm quite international when it comes to food. I have some Italian background and cook alot of pasta as well. Funny how it is, I tend to collect cookbooks more than I cook. One thing with my cooking, I rarely follow a recipe. I cook better this way. I normally know which ingredients work well together and which don't.

Pho is one of the few VNmese dish that is done with beef and not with pork. The key to this noodle soup is the stock and like hamburger, everyone makes it slightly different.

The women in my family claims that theirs are better. So, I usually make if just for myself. This is not the traditionally way but for 1 or 2 servings, it works best and less preparation time. Yet, it's still tasty.

Ingredients for the stock:

1 box of Beef Stock (store bought)

2 patties of ground beef/chuck (hamburger size). Get the ground beef as lean as you can.

1/2 onion, sliced

1-2 tspn Chinese 5-spice, (start w/1 tspn, then add gradually to your taste).

2 tspn Ginger, finely chopped

Salt & Pepper to your taste. (If you can handle fish sauce, don't add too much salt. Later, add the fish sauce to taste instead.

Flat Rice Noodles (pho noodles), boiled to al dente, drain in a coliander and let it run through gold water to stop it from cooking. Note: Keep on the watch when boiling the rice noodles. It cooks very quickly. Set it on the side.

Lean Beef, very thinly sliced. You can use filet mignon or any type of lean beef. Here's a tip, if the meat is half frozen, it is easier to slice it very thinly.

Chooped Green onion and cilantro for garnish.

Salad plate to accompany with Pho includes: Bean sprouts, Asian lettuce (Boston lettuce is fine too), Thai Basil, Mexican Coriander (other names: Sawtooth, Sawleaf Herb, Cilantro cimarron), slices of lemons or limes and slices of jalapenos.

In a pot add all the ingredients for the stock, bring it to slightly boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and simmer it for about 20-30 mins.. Basically, until the flavors of the ingredients have released. Turn off the heat and add the fish sauce to your taste. This way, it minimizes the release of the unpleasant odor of the fish sauce. You may even chose to cover the pot.

Preparation: In a bowl, add the noodles. Layer the thinly sliced beef on top of the noodles. Then, pour the hot steamy stock over it right before serving. The heat from the stock will cook the raw beef if you thinly sliced them. Garnish with chopped green onion and cilantro.

At the table, you should already have the salad plate, hoisin sauce and red chili sauce (optional) for serving.

Traditionally, to make the beef stock, beef ribs and bones are used to make the beef stock along with the onion, ginger, star anise and Pho seasonings. But, it is simmered for over an hour or 2 to allow the juice of the bones to release.

5-spice seasoning is normally not used in VNmese cuisine. There is Pho seasonings that you can get at VNmese food market for the stock. Although, in my mind, I'm quite convinced that the 5-spice and store bought Pho seasonings are almost the same. Except the 5-spice already have star anise in it.

The store Pho seasonings are premeasured to make a large pot of stock. Star anise is added to taste.

I've seen my mom grilled the onion and then dropped it into the stock to add more flavor.

You can also chose to do the traditional stock in a slow cooker (at low for 6-8 hrs.) and just freeze the extra stock.

I'm not sure if I left anything out. Feel free to ask.

Happy Cooking and Happy Eating!

Natalie

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!