Husband Has Rage Issues- Should I Leave?
14 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (31)
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
Related Discussions
Obsessed husband has ZERO time for family
Comments (23)"You guys have no idea how bad this hurts. I just wish I could explain it all and understand it all" I think I understand pretty well since I was in a similar situation for 8 years. 8 years that I was afraid to leave because I was afraid to be on my own and because I thought each and every time that he reverted to the "wonderful man mode" that he would stay there. Ha! No way, in fact the bad times got longer and more often, I was wife #3 of 4 and we all divorced him for the same reason, emotional abuse. For a long time it was hard for me to believe it was a form of abuse because it was not physical. All I know is, he made me hurt inside my heart, and that felt pretty danged bad. I called and cried on my family's shoulder until they were sick of hearing it. Once he hit me with a screwdriver he'd thrown at me and I had the police come so I could pack suitcases and get myself and my kids out of the house. We went to my dad's and the first thing he asked was "when can you leave?" I don't think that was very nice of my dad. I went through lots of times like this, leaving and going back. Mostly I'd leave for the weekend hoping he'd miss me and beg for me to come back. Sometimes he did and we'd be happy for a week or two then it would happen all over again. He would just out of the blue not talk to me for 1-2 weeks, not stay in the same room with me, drop me off at home after work then go out for dinner by himself, throw plates of dinner I had made into the trash (plate and all) break things, and throw things at me (screwdrivers, beer bottles, keys, rocks all come to mind) just out of the blue without giving me a reason. If I asked why he'd say something like "I knew it was all over for us when you didn't put my dinner on my plate" or "If you don't know then you're stupid." He was really hateful toward me. We went to three marriage counsellors before I finally realized he was not going to change. I used to save up money out of the grocery money so I could afford to leave, but then he'd be good for a few weeks and I'd spend it on something, then the cycle would repeat. I had to get a job at minimum wage and use my experience there to get another job a few years later with more pay, then finally received a bonus which was just enough to put a deposit on a little apartment for me and my kids. What surprised me was how much better I was on my own than I thought I'd be! It was hard being alone at first and I was depressed, but I think just because things were different, not bad. Sure was nice to have control of my own money and my own life. In fact, when I remarried years later I asked that we keep individual bank accounts. When we retire that may change but we never argue over money. I wish I had not wasted those 8 years, but what we go through makes us what we are. Fast forward 17 years I have been married for 9 years to a normal man and sometimes it's been difficult knowing how to react to normal situations. We each have hobbies we enjoy on our own, and sometimes I still have to ask him to reassure me it's okay for me to go off and do XX without him. Funny, sometimes normal does not feel normal. But mostly, life is really good. My opinion is that you are being abused and you should run like the wind. I also agree that you should not tip him off to your plans because things are likely to get very ugly. He is holding you hostage. Is he perhaps getting you a phone that he can have access to your calling records? Be careful. I wish you the best....See Morehusband issue
Comments (5)I'm sorry but he CAN switch to first shift. It's called getting a new job if the one he has doesn't work for his life priorities. I also work second shift, 4pm till some nights 2 or 3 in the morning. My step son lived with us for a year so I had to get up every morning at 6 to get him ready and take hime to school. (My hubby leaves for work at 4 in the morning so I had no choice) I didn't love getting up that early but I managed just fine!! The same goes for my hubby, he'll stay up a couple nights a week till I come home to spend an hour or so with me before he goes to bed, even though he leaves for work at 4. So these situations CAN work if you simply take the time to make them work. In their situation it sounds to me like he's using his job as a cop out to avoid his family and responsiblities! He realized having children is hard work and not always peaches and cream! And most of all they NEVER go away!! So he just simply avoids them all together. He doesn't want to spend time with his wife because he knows they end up fighting about the same things over and over again. So he avoids her too. The first thing I would do is pitch his video game system then I'd cancel the the cable or satillite. If she's had the same conversation with him time and time again to no resolve, it's time to do something that will demand his attention!! Maybe they need to start talking to someone about their problems, whether it be a pastor or psycologist. But she needs to do something now because if she doesn't get this man back on track she WILL become a single parent in the end!!...See MoreMy husband hates my kids...should I leave him
Comments (32)Iam going though the same thing. He complains about everything my daughters do. My 2 daughters 20 and 30 and my 7 Grandbaby. He does not talk to them for days. Every night when we go to bed he starts to bitch about them from they eat all the food, they r lazy and wht doesn’t my oldest get child support I tell him that is her business not ours. Well a couple week ago he told them to start paying rent 300.00 a each. They only make 9.00 my 20 pays To own car payment insurance and credit cards, my 30 old pays her bills and the day care bill of 400 a month. I told him they can’t afford that he don’t care and if they don’t like it they move out. He get mad if I buy anything for them. He says u always get defensive I tell I don’t I just don’t know why u treat them like that. They don’t disrespect you. In the other hand they stay in there rooms to not bother you. If they come to talk to me he starts asking wht do they want. He like making fun of my granddaughter( calling a cry baby) and my 20 (making fun of her weight)I tell him to stop and plays it off like I am kidding. Well two weeks ago my daughter told me she can afford the 300 she said I can afford 150. I thought buy telling her to go speak to her step dad he would listen and respect that she came to him and. It to me. I was listening to her explain the situation well he said that’s not my problem and just kept repeating it. Well she started crying and she told him. Why do u treat us like dirt. W you hve never like us and I hate the way u treat mom. Yes she did get load then I stepped in. He lost it and told to pack her stuff and get out. Then told me it’s them or me in front of her. She apologized to me saying she does not what to ruin my marriage. Well my girls r moving out at the end of the month but that is still not good enough. Now he is saying I don’t want them to come over. I was really. Now my son came to visit and he is telling me he is not staying here. I told him he is staying this week to help her sister with daycare. He was who gave him permission I was what. It turn into a huge fight. He said they do what ever they want to do. Mind me he has not spoken one work to him cause he is still mad at my youngest for the fight they had. He told if u don’t tell him to leave buy Sunday Iam going to. I was wtf. Those r my kids and this is my house. He said again Iam tried we should separate i was like look if that’s why u want go ahead. I know u hate my kids. He stayed quite and goes into the room and sulks. Iam i wrong for defending my kids. They have never disrespected him. Iam so over this fight with him....See MoreHow should I deal with a huge issue with a cabinet (just found)
Comments (33)Sue you made my mother crack up :) Yes, the canned food would be perfect behind the bed...we can haul it out every time I have to make soup for the little guy :oP Great idea you pest :oP PC I"m trying....LOL We'll see. lascatx...the question about squareness is an issue I'm concerned about. The granite and cabinet are both set level (I checked) and the granite does rest on the entire box so I don't currently see any gaping issues, but I do worry about the situation down below getting worse. I'm thinking that a fix much like Rm's is probably going to be our option, but if the cabinet isn't solid, that's just a bandage, and then, I do have another in the same situation, but it isn't showing wall board behind it yet. (Same tray shelves and pullouts) I will say, after this I really wish that Woodmode would have been able to do our kitchen. They couldn't do all of the custom pieces I needed (mostly our bay window) so we went Omega. I regret it, which is sad to say given the price of these stupid cabinets. My mother has been complaining about the plastic supports since she arrived LOL I think I'm going to reorder metal ones from an after market source. I like the idea of more than a piece of plastic holding up my dishes. I personally think the system is flawed. In a smaller cabinet, perhaps it might work, but when you pull the shelf out, it is front heavy if it's loaded. The two cabinets we have like this are about 50% of our storage, so being without them for a period of time is really an incovenience. Well we'll see. I'm honestly at the end of my rope on this remodel....See More- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN OF THE WEEKKitchen of the Week: Coastal Kitchen Honors a Beloved Husband
This Southern California kitchen makeover includes a touching story of a couple who faced a much bigger challenge during their remodel
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘I’m Never Leaving’ and More Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
You Said It: Hot-Button Issues Fired Up the Comments This Week
Dust, window coverings, contemporary designs and more are inspiring lively conversations on Houzz
Full Story
WOODKnotty and Nice: Highly Textured Wood Has a Modern Revival
Whether it's cedar, fir or pine, if a wood has a knot, it's hot
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESWho Says a Dining Room Has to Be a Dining Room?
Chucking the builder’s floor plan, a family reassigns rooms to work better for their needs
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESOne Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: What Has Mom Taught You About Making a Home?
Whether your mother taught you to cook and clean or how to order takeout and let messes be, we'd like to hear about it
Full Story
FALL GARDENING5 Ways to Put Fall Leaves to Work in Your Garden
Improve your soil and yard the organic way with a valuable garden booster that grows on trees
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGStudents’ Award-Winning Home Leaves Small Footprint
A cost-effective, solar-powered New Zealand prefab home has good looks to match
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: ‘Everything Has a Story’ in This Dallas Family’s Home
Gifts, mementos and artful salvage make a 1960s ranch warm and personal
Full StorySponsored
readinglady