SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kandm_gw

To Baconize your Bourbon?

kandm
15 years ago

A friend sent me a link to a guest blog entry he recently wrote. I'm not sure if I'm willing to try this yet lol....

"Alcohol is very good at extracting flavors. ItÂs easy to use for infusions. Throw some raspberries in some gin, let it sit for a day or two, strain out the raspberries, and voila, youÂve got raspberry gin. Unfortunately, your raspberries are going to taste pretty nasty now. ThatÂs fine for fruit, but who wants to waste bacon? Luckily, thereÂs a better way.

ItÂs unappetizingly called "fat-washing." It works on the basic principle that most of the flavor elements in a fat are also soluble in alcohol. This means that instead of having to ruin good bacon in an infusion, you can just use the melted fat. I got to sample a use of this technique last month at Tales of the Cocktail, a fantastic annual convention of cocktail enthusiasts held in New Orleans every summer. IÂm getting baconostalgic just thinking about it. This recipe comes from PDT in New York and it makes a bourbon with an intense, smoky aroma and a true bacon flavor.

What youÂll need: A 750 ml bottle of good bourbon. PDT recommends Four Roses Yellow Label. IÂve used Bulleit, which you might have an easier time finding. Also bacon, as smoky as possible. PDT uses BentonÂs from Tennessee, and while any smoky bacon could work, my own substitution didnÂt produce nearly as much smoke character as what I sampled in New Orleans.

To make it, cook up 3-4 strips of bacon. Retain a fluid ounce or so of the rendered fat, letting it cool but not solidify. Discard of the bacon in the manner of your choosing (IÂm sure youÂll think of something). Pour the fat and bourbon into a glass jar and let it sit to taste, a matter of hours if the bacon is strong enough.

Now youÂve got a very greasy looking jar of bourbon. To make it ungreasy, put it in the freezer over night. The fat will conveniently congeal for easy straining, and you can clean it up even further with a run through a coffee filter.

If all goes well, your bourbon will now taste and smell distinctively like your bacon. Drink it neat, or try out PDTÂs breakfasty BentonÂs Old-Fashioned, a version of which is pictured above:

2 oz bacon bourbon

1/4 oz maple syrup

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice and pour into an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with a twist of orange. Enjoy.

[Photo from the Flickr stream of Dansays.]

Jacob Grier"

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations