SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Selling bread at farmers' market....your opinions?

teresa_nc7
14 years ago

So last Saturday I went to a small but nice farmers' market in a nearby town. I went to buy some farm eggs from a chicken lady. While there I looked at one table that had some pies, small loaves of sourdough bread, and some fried pies (one I ate may have upset my stomach). There were lots of veggie stalls, fresh eggs, plants, and some crafts but no other baked goods or breads.

This market is right in the middle of town on a grassy strip, runs from 8:00 to 12:30, no fee or even sign-up, just show up if your items for sale were grown or made by you. Since I'm always trying to earn extra money these days, I thought I would make some breads Friday evening and set me up a card table there. I plan to take some Graham Yeast Rolls, Amish Wheat loaves, Oatmeal Honey loaves, and maybe some Buttermilk Rolls.

Today I was able to buy 25# of organic stoneground unbleached flour for $13 and 25# of organic stoneground whole wheat flour for $12 from a milling company on the other side of the county. What a deal! Even cheaper than driving to Greensboro to the Old Mill you Pane Campers!

I thought I would charge $3.00 for 1 1/2 doz. small Graham rolls and $3.25 to $3.75 per loaf of bread depending on how large they turn out. What do you think of these prices? I plan to check out the store prices for a good bakery in Durham that uses the same flour. Remember, these are not like the $5 artisan breads in the big cities.

And yes, we are one of the states that can sell baked goods to consumers. I checked that out already.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Teresa

Comments (45)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor