SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spademilllane

OKC Farmer's Market Offended Me

spademilllane
13 years ago

I don't know whether I should bring this up here, but this does seem like the best place. This morning I went to the so-called Farmer's Market in east OKC and I was offended by their prices. There were $4 and $5 tomatoes, $1 and $1.50 squashes, many of the potatoes looked like seed potatoes that were sprouting and for heaven's sake were priced at $4 a pound. Shriveled green beans at a horrible price, unripe corn that wouldn't pop under the fingernail for 50 cents a piece. Loaves of bread for $7.00 each. So-called "Christian" cheese at $10 per 6 ounces and "Christian" barbecue sauce at $8 per jar.

I did find hanging baskets of petunias that were--get this--$10 per basket, $15 for 2 baskets, but $25 for 3 baskets. Go figure that kind of math.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wonder what is wrong with our country when we cannot have a truck farmer provide a superior tomato for the same price as a Mexican tomato that has been trucked for 1,000 miles, distributed through a warehouse, and further distributed to a grocery market.

I spend a lot of time traveling on business, and I know for a fact you won't pay $4.50 for a cherokee purple tomato at the Farmer's Market at the Embarcadero in San Francisco nor will you pay that for the same thing at the farmer's market at Bancroft Park in Colorado Springs or at the FM in Denver. You can get a wonderful loaf for under $4 and macaroons for 50 cents each. What's with these crazy truck farmers from Beverly Hills here in OKC?

Comments (37)

• owiebrain
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What the market will bear and all of that. Someone must be buying it. I wouldn't but I'm a cheapskate. I have no idea what I'd charge if I were to sell them but it does sound horribly expensive, doesn't it?

What gets me is the "farmer" stands around here don't even grow their own stuff most of the time. They get them off of trucks shipped in from who knows where, just like WalMart. I used to stop and ask where they grew their produce and they'd just look at me like I had two heads. "Oh, no, ma'am, we just get it off of a truck. from ." I've not bothered to even stop at any in the past couple of years so maybe there are some real ones out there now.

Diane

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

The market in Norman has several good farmers that grow their own produce. They have everything marked with a green tag if it is homegrown or a white tag if it is resale. I haven't found the prices to be too unreasonable, except for the eggs. But eggs are in very high demand.

• Related Discussions

The top 10 worst fruit-vegetable offenders for pesticides

Q

Comments (14)
    JAG Yes, that's implied in the linked article, along with this observation, agree with it or not: "From a nutrition standpoint, there isnÂt enough research to show that organic foods are more nutritious than regular foods. The levels of pesticides currently used havenÂt been found to be harmful," she says. I recall reading a post last year on GW where the individual mentioned thoroughly washing some cukes he'd bought at a local farmers market with soap and water! Some responders wondered why he'd do that, when they thought a good rinse ought to make them safe. He was apparently trying to cleanse them of bacteria they may have collected while being handled in the field as well as pesticide residues. Nobody mentioned organic pesticide practices, but you are certainly correct that organic pesticides don't have approved standard application rates, and they can be just as dangerous if consumed as "chemical" pesticides.
    ...See More

I am astounded, and am becoming offended by.....

Q

Comments (110)
    Last year I caught a bit of an interview with Freegans - people that live from dumpsters. Two doctors (MD, not PhD) go dumpster diving several times a week. It was incredible to watch them pull out enough food to make dinner. "Thats nice," I thought, "But not for me." Well, now that Im serious about expanding the garden, I needed more compost materials and asked my florist if she would save her scraps if I provided heavy duty bags. She obliged but as the weeks go by, she complains about being too busy to separate it (even though I told her she didnt have to.) Every week, she gives me fewere and ferw bags, so I started going through her dumpster. I cant believe the stuff she tosses. I make little bouquets for around the house. She tossed out four unused 75-foot white pine ropes. I made wreathes out of them and the spruce from Christmas trees on the curb. Ive started rummaging through the dumpster at Starbucks where Ive pulled many milk cartons that now have winter sown seeds in them. My husband is concerned about my safety so I usually go around 6am when there are other people around, though I noticed that dumpster diving is best at night, after the businesses close but before the garbage trucks arrive. When I was a kid, I was embarrassed by my Dad who was a garbage picker. Though, he sometimes came home with nice stuff that only needed a small bit of refurbishing - bicycles, a very nice lawn swing. Now hes my compost buddy. "Dad, if you see a Christmas tree on the curb, GRAB IT!" Hes brought home countless bags of leaves that will be great mulch this summer. I guess Ive reached an age that I just dont care what people think of me going through the trash. Its a fun adventure too though I have a feeling it will be too funky for me to tolerate come warm weather.
    ...See More

Horn's in OKC Has Tomato Plants

Q

Comments (16)
    Ezzirah, If they are small, there may not be much benefit to setting them out this early. They might grow better for the next couple of weeks in more protected locations. I don't like to put smallish tomato seedlings in the ground in March because the wind can beat them to death. I have a lot of varieties of seedlings, and the only ones going into the ground are, literally, the tallest and biggest ones. For example, most of my JD's Special C-Tex seedlings are 12-15" tall and have main stems that are over 1/4" wide, so they were among the first plants that went into the ground. By contrast, my Phoenix plants are ridiculously small--maybe 4-5" tall and with thin main stems and none of them are in the ground yet and won't be for some time. So, do what makes sense to you! I don't have any of my plants caged yet, but after I finish planting three more rows of tomatoes today, I will wrap each cage with Agri-bon and cage the plants. We are expecting increasingly stronger winds as the week goes on and I want the young plants to have some wind protection. The Agri-bon won't block all the wind, but will give some protection. In some very windy years, I have wrapped the lower 2 to 4' of each cage with 4 or 6 mm clear plastic for wind protection, but I don't like that as much. It blocks all the wind and the plants need to endure wind exposure to make them strong. So, the Agri-bon is a nice middle of the road solution that slows the wind but doesn't block it all. One of my "old farmer" gardening neighbors used to cut the bottoms off 5 gallon buckets and he would work the lower 2 to 4" of the bucket into the ground to anchor it, and would put a bucket around each tomato as he planted it. That gave the plants protection from the winds for about a month. He removed the buckets once the plants were wide enough that they were touching the sides of the buckets or tall enough that they were growing above the tops of the buckets. He moved to an assisted living center last year and his house was sold. There's nothing in the garden plot this year, and I will miss seeing that little row of white 5-gallon buckets stuck into the ground. Dawn
    ...See More

Becoming a Farmers' Market Grower

Q

Comments (6)
    I sold at the Farmers Market in Norman for about 10 years and really enjoyed it. Got to know a lot of fantastic people. I still miss it. The best growers at the market were always the hardest workers that took pride in themselves, their effort to make the market a success, and the product they offered. There were a few retired people that did the market just for something to occupy their time and loved being a part of the market. They didn't produce a lot of veggies or fruit, but were just as valuable to the market as the big truck farmers were. They weren't always as busy and were great greeters and socializers that I loved being around them. The one negative is how many times you have to handle your product and the gas you burn if you have to go back and forth very much over any kind of distance. Being able to gauge correctly how much to bring and selling out right at closing time is the optimal way to go. less waste and work at the market. randy
    ...See More
  • scottokla
    13 years ago

At our market last week you could get a perfectly ripe but ugly 16 oz Cherokee Purple for $1.50. There were only a few, so you had to get there early.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Robert,

It sounds like something is wrong there, doesn't it? I just hate to hear about your negative experience at the OKC Farmer's Market because I truly expected better from a Farmer's Market in our fine state. I guess the phrase that comes to mind is 'caveat emptor'.

I am very picky about what I'll buy at a Farmer's Market, and I refuse to buy anything shipped in from out of state in boxes or crates. If I want that kind of 'foreign', big-farm vegetables or produce imported from another state or country, I can buy them at numerous local grocery stores for much less than the price at the Farmer's Market. I prefer to buy from local farmers who grow organically or at least as naturally as possible and who don't mind answering my questions about where they farm, what varieties they grow, what they'll have coming fresh to the market next week or the week after, etc.

Having said that, when I find a local grower who's got a high-quality crop that looks good and fresh and that smells fresh, I don't mind paying a higher price for it than the stuff I can buy at the local grocery store. If it is truly local and truly fresh and truly organic (or as organic as possible even if not 'certified organic'), then I don't mind paying for that high quality because I know how hard it is for me to raise that same produce, and how time-consuming it is, and I want the real local growers to get a fair price for what they raise.

There are some Farmer's Markets (generally in smaller towns) that only allow local produce, and there are others as Tigerdawn noted that require price labels or signs that make it clear if the produce is 'local' or 'imported'. I prefer those smaller Farmer's Markets to the bigger anonymous ones where anyone can pass off imported farm produce as locally grown. The Norman area, by the way, is known nationwide for its progressive, sustainable agriculture movement...putting it on par with places like Austin, Texas, so I'm so happy to read Tigerdawn's report on their market.

Sometimes when I want local produce, I only have to go as far as Central Market (very upscale and similar to Whole Foods or Wild Oats only better) in Southlake, TX, or Green Spouts (more local, more reasonable prices) just a few miles west of it, where the produce is more often local and, in the case of Central Market, its' city of origin is listed right on the sign. So, for example, if I want pickling cucumbers, I can find some there that were picked in Jacksonville, TX, and which are shipped fresh almost daily so they're not on the shelf too long to make good pickles. There's also a great Farmer's Market in Fort Worth that always has tons of local produce from the Fort Worth area, especially local peaches from Parker County and the upper Hill Country, and there's superb Farmer's Markets in McKinney, TX, and Dallas, TX where you can see the farmer's (usually from the agriculturally rich area of East Texas but also from North Central Texas), right there in their overalls and driving their somewhat battered old pickups right up to the booth to unload bushel baskets and plastic totes of freshly-picked veggies and fruits....not cardboard boxes and wooden fruit crates shipped in from California or Florida or the Rio Grande Valley.

I hate that I have to go to the D-FW Metro area for fresh, local produce, but the stuff there is so much better than what is available here in the Marietta-Ardmore-Gainesville (TX) area. At the D-FW markets, a huge local foodie surge is in full force and you can find local honey, local artisan bread, local dairy produces including amazing artisan cheese, all kinds of local baked goods (must be baked in commercially-certified kitchens), local salsas, local jams and jellies, fresh eggs from grass-pastured poultry (just like the ones from our house), and (best of all!) local grass-pastured beef, poultry, pork and lamb (and goat). I hope the 'local is best' philosophy spreads northward into Oklahoma. I'd say it really has "exploded" in popularity in the D-FW area the last three years, so there's hope the popularity of truly local, truly high-quality produce will make its way to OKC. New, small, neighborhood type Farmer's Markets are opening up all over the Dallas metro area after a huge zoning/oversight battle with Dallas and Dallas County last year. Hopefully they have the issues resolved and the thriving neighborhood markets, which are hugely popular with local residents, will be allowed to flourish and thrive.

One thing that always shocks me is the price of heirloom tomatoes at local Farmer's Markets. They still are new enough here that the prices are sky-high because demand far exceeds supply. Even at Central Market, where the price varies according to the law of supply and demand in any given week, the heirlooms often sell for $3.98 to $7.98 per lb. depending on the rarity of the variety being offered. When we are there, Tim's eyes are popping out of his head as he calculates the dollar value of the heirlooms grown in our home garden.

I'm giving myself a day off from harvesting and canning/preserving today, in fact, to go to the DFW area, and I'll let y'all know what I find. Due to the heat, though, I'll be skipping the outdoors Farmer's Markets and heading straight for Green Sprouts and Central Market. It's supposed to be 100 degrees there today and I'm not shopping in that heat since we won't reach the area until early afternoon.

There are many Farmer's Markets in smaller cities and towns all over Oklahoma. I've linked a website that features the ones that feature ONLY local produce. The Farmer's Market in Ardmore only allows local produce, nothing imported, and I appreciate their effort to keep it all local although that sometimes mean I can't find what I want there because no one is growing it locally. The list on the linked OK-Grown website is supposed to feature local farmer's markets that have only produce raised here in Oklahoma.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OK-Grown Directory

• joellenh
    13 years ago

I was so excited to check out the various farmer's markets my first year here in Oklahoma. I went to a bunch in the Tulsa area, and was shocked at the prices. Tomatoes $4 per pound. Corn 50 cents per ear. When I asked if the produce was organic and how it was grown, I was met with blank stares, mumbles, and "We don't grow it, we just sell it".

Um, okay, no thanks.

That's when I decided to grow my own.

It's really a crying shame that with all of the land around here we don't have better access to buying fresh produce off the farm.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

I always like to read other responses before I respond. Joellen, I could not have said it better.

I have not thought of what was discarded from other stores, but I have thought of re-packaging from Sam's.

My husband went to two markets in Tulsa, and we were very disappointed with what he bought. Have you noticed how long the melons have been available? Are melons really ready here in Tulsa?

The major reason that I do not spray is because I firmly believe that very little in our lives is regulated. (Regulated by our government)

Who knows what has been sprayed on the produce? Who knows how the farmer interprets organic? I almost think we are safer to purchase from the big stores than to purchase from the small farmers. At least possibly the big dealers are more consistent with their spray program since they go from state to state. A mom and pop garden may have less education in the use of the non regulated chemicals, and give us 10 times the safe amount.

I do believe that there is at least one whole foods store in Tulsa that has a good reputation. My criticism is in the vendors for the Farmers' markets.

Sammy

• wifey2mikey
    13 years ago

My thoughts on this are that the weather in Oklahoma is more extreme than it is in other areas (such as San Fransisco) so you can't really compare prices here to there.

That being said, I can see how prices for heirlooms might be high - especially with the bad luck I've had with mine this year (and after reading many many many comments on here about how some of them are really low producers.)

As for local produce in the Tulsa area - I grew up going to Conrad's and Carmichael's out in Bixby. I actually remember going out in the fields with my parents to pick peas, corn, and green beans - not sure if anyone still has pick your own other than berries and peaches now days. But there wasn't a way to get it much fresher then other than to grow your own - which I think is the best idea (if you can get mother nature to cooperate - if we were dependent on my crops this year, we'd starve!)

Anyway, I guess I'm rambling. I just think that most of the Farmer's Markets around here are really set up to cater to the wealthy; therefore the higher prices. I think if you really want access to lots of fresh produce and don't have the land or time or whatever to produce it yourself, co-ops might be the answer. See link...

~Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulsa World Article on Local Farm Coops

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

I quit going to any of the local farmer's markets here along time back. I found I spent more money there than the grocery store, and I found the produce was not that much better. As far as the bread is concerned, at the risk of sounded arrogant, I bake better than that myself.

I think the last time I was there, there was very little in the way of vegetables and fruits. They had mostly the bread and home made soap,stuff like that. It was sad.

I didn't know they bought things off trucks, and resale. That makes me mad, because they sell themselves as local farmers. I can get that in the local Walmart cheaper, if I wanted stuff off of trucks.

Anymore I am growing my own.....period. And what I cannot grow, I get in the store. I am sorry to say.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have become very cautious about buying produce in ANY grocery store if they do not label the country of origin or state of origin. Know why? Because while producers in the USA have to follow specific laws and use specific approved pesticides and other chemicals at regulated amounts/intervals, imported produce does not. Imported produce can be sprayed with anything, anytime, and you just know that in some countries they are much less picky than we are about what they spray on food.

Buying organic makes sense, especially with certain produce that is heavily treated with chemicals. Non-organic strawberries, for example, can be sprayed as often as three times a week. Do you want to eat something that's been sprayed three times a week with a chemical pesticide or fungicide? I don't.

I like visiting Pick-Your-Own places, but like to talk to them ahead of time to find out if they're organic, or if they at least use minimal chemical pesticides and fungicides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Farms at Pickyourown.org

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I've stopped at three different Farmer's Markets/produce stands this summer. The first produce stand said they truck stuff in until the local produce gets ripe. I saw they had banners for local produce last week, but haven't had a chance to stop in again. The prices were high, but only about $1 a unit more than what I would pay at a store.

I've stopped at the farmer's market twice. I thought they were high since everything except the blackberries appeared to be imported. The blackberries were really sweet so the $4 I paid was ok, but I didn't buy anything else because it all appeared to be the same freshness as Reasors.

I stopped at a produce stand where the guy sells out of his yard. He had Porter peaches, and some other produce that was from Bixby, Sand Springs and other places. He also has stuff he sells from his gardens. It was easy to drop $20 on a fresh meal for one day. All the produce had more of a homegrown taste so it was worth it. I bought a watermelon from him too that I think came from Texas. It was good, but not excellent. It had a few seeds so it was much better tasting than the bland melons from the store.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

I am so wary of chemicals. I will not buy my kids many conventional items. Strawberries, apples, peaches, MUST be organic or I try to grow my own.

I am not convinced that what the government says is "safe" really is.

The rise in cancer rates, immune disorders, autism, etc. is alarming to me.

My youngish (late 30s at the time) fit, healthy husband battled kidney cancer 3 years ago. I can't say if there was a cause, but since then, I have tried to limit environmental toxins to the best of my ability. He grew up on sprayed produce, weed killer, bug spray, pizza, burgers, and tv.

I grew up on a farm running naked through the corn fields and swimming in creeks with the cows, with almost none of those things.

I refuse to put chemicals in my kids' bodies (to the best of my ability). If I cannot find a healthy option, they go without.

The battle over whether to spray our yard for bugs and weeds is almost daily here. So far I am winning, because I just put my foot down. I'd rather have a buggy fruit than one that might cause cancer, you know? I just don't know enough, and don't trust the info I am being given.

Jo

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I recommend the OSU-OKC Farmer's Market because they require all products be Oklahoma grown, including meats, poultry, and eggs.

I don't know about the cost for things like tomatos, but at least you know you're getting an Oklahoma grown tomato and not something trucked in from who-knows-where. Even resale items must be grown in Oklahoma, and marked for "resale" so the buyer knows what they are getting. The rules are very strict for produce growers at OSU-OKC market, but I have no idea what their prices are in comparison to the OKC Farmer's Market.

Just seems like it is a better bet.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU-OKC Farmer's Market Regulations

• greenacreslady
    13 years ago

The OSU-OKC Farmer's Market is one of the best in this area, in my opinion. We usually go to the Edmond Farmers Market now though because it is much closer since we moved up here between Edmond and Guthrie. We bought some very good zucchini there twice recently and it had just been picked, and also bought some purple asparagus that was the best asparagus we've ever eaten.

I don't mind occasionally paying $7 for a loaf of local artisan bread because I can't bake anything that good myself and it beats anything I can buy in the grocery store hands down. There is a local home-based baker who sells at the OSU-OKC market and he also supplies some area restaurants and sells out of his home bakery one day a week. He offers many very flavorful varieties and he has worked hard at developing and perfecting his recipes. Almost all of his breads are at least 50% whole grain and he uses no preservatives. He also uses herbs from his garden, and fresh local ingredients when they're available. For instance his blueberry scones are made with locally grown blueberries. And they are delicious!! I just made tuna sandwiches for lunch made with his jalapeno cheese bread. I added some jalapeno zucchini relish that I bought at the farmers market to the tuna salad. The relish was made in Lexington OK and the label says Oklahoma Grown - Chemical Free." I look forward to the day when I can grow enough in my garden to make my own.

Suzie

• scarlettfourseasonsrv
    13 years ago

A local grower here in NE Washington county, (who's location shall remain anonymous), got a jump start on the season by selling shipped in tomatoes from who knows where, and passing them off as homegrown which I find very unethical. This was not at a Farmers Market by the way.

On the market forum, a lot of the vendors are being subjected to a lot of harassment, "politics", and other problems at their local Farmers Markets, causing some of them to set up shop elsewhere, or consider giving up the hassle altogether. I do understand there are costs involved in marketing in this fashion, but there appear to be some who seem to be pricing themselves out of the business and/or passing off inferior or relabeled merchandise.

I agree with not wishing to buy local produce unless I know what's been sprayed on it, or market produce with no country of origin label on it. It's just getting TOO risky healthwise. But at small roadside stands, how do you know for sure?

Barbara

• elkwc
    13 years ago

I have found it too be the same around here. More so the "farm stands" along the Arkansas Valley. Many of them were open 2 weeks ago when I went to Pueblo. I know it is too early for any local produce. I didn't stop at but one and that was to visit with the owner about his pepper seeds. But he is having back trouble and can't garden anymore. I did stop in July a few years ago. The sign said fresh veggies. I asked if they were locally grown knowing they probably weren't. But again the stand is out in the country at least 4-5 miles from any town. So thought they might be hoop or greenhouse raised. She said of course not. You should know that. I said well your sign said fresh and even has locally grown on it. I noticed this time they have added locally grown when in season. The only farmer's markets I know of around here have been at Guymon, OK and Liberal,KS. And as far as I know all the produce is locally grown. Now doubt if it is all organically grown. I can't even say mine is. Mine is 90-95% but not 100%.

I'm going to add a link that lists the veggies in order of being the most heavily sprayed. Makes me wonder about the peaches I buy that come in from CO in the late summer. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Most heavily sprayed veggies

• laspasturas
    13 years ago

I'm a member of the Friends of the Mid-Del Farmers' Market and I just wanted to mention that the market is all Oklahoma grown produce, meats, dairy, eggs and honey. A farm visit is made to each potential seller by someone from the board of directors before vendors are approved. The market is only in it's second year and is still growing and working out kinks, but I've found all of the sellers to be friendly and generally glad to answer any questions. A lot of them have photos of their farms at their stands.

This is the first year that the market is taking debit cards and also accepting EBT cards, for those on a very tight food budget. It is open every Saturday from 8am-11am and every Tuesday from 4:30pm-8pm in the small park in the center of the Town Center Plaza on 29th across from Tinker.

We buy a lot of our food at the market, but we also find that driving through Harrah, Choctaw, etc is a great way to find local food. On our way home from NW OKC on Saturday, we bought fresh sweet corn at 63rd and Triple X, peaches at 50th and Peebly, and cucumbers from a little stand in the garage of a house in one of the neighborhoods between Peebly and Triple X off of 10th. I know of at least two other home vegetable stands in Choctaw. And there are several other farms in Harrah. Just thought I'd mention it for those in the area.

• greenacreslady
    13 years ago

Jay,
    Thank you for the link to that list of most heavily sprayed veggies. I've sent that along to several friends and family members who are trying to eat healthier.

Suzie

• scottokla
    13 years ago

The two small markets I attend are almost all "locally grown" and a lot of it is very inexpensive. A few people sell tomatoes for 1.00 to 1.25 per lb (no chemicals), nice cucumbers 3 or 4 for $1.00, etc. The problem with the small markets is that you don't always feel comfortable stopping for various reasons.

I've never been to any of the large markets around here. I'd really like to check out the Broken Arrow one and the Jenks one.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

I have been watching the lists of "dirty" (heavily sprayed) fruits and veg for the last few years...actually since I had kids.

I avoid stone fruit (Peaches, Plums, Cherries, Nectarines), most berries, and apples like the plague unless they are organic. For them, I will pay a premium. Double, triple, quadruple.

What shocks me on re-reviewing this list are the greens...lettuces...spinaches...In my HUMBLE experience, these are so easy to grow and so pest-free, they are a JOY. I keep cutting and cutting my lettuce mixes and they come right back, they don't mind over watering, under-watering, cool temps, hot temps (although some varieties bolted, many did not), and seem untroubled by pests. It's like you cannot kill them.

I totally need to grow greens year round under my lights or something, because that really bothers me.

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

joe - do you have a list to that link?

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Ezzirah,

Jay posted a link a few posts up (see "most heavily sprayed vegetables").

There are many sites listing the best and worst produce. Someone clever came up with calling the worst twelve, which are very very bad, the dirty dozen. There are also fifteen items that have very little pesticide residue, and they call them "The Clean 15".

Actually, for 2010, celery moved up into the number 1 worst spot from #4 last year. Fortunately, celery is pretty easy to find organic in a regular grocery store, and not too expensive.

The fruits pose a bigger challenge for me because they are so pricey, my kids love them, and kids ingest a proportionately higher pesticide load due to their low body weight. (My children weigh 32-36 pounds, so about 1/5 the weight of an average adult).

I will post another link, but there are many many on the web!

Also, here is a very handy shoppers guide:
    http://www.foodnews.org/EWG-shoppers-guide-download-final.pdf

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Dirty Dozen

• okprairie
    13 years ago

Oh, no, I'm really sorry to hear of so many bad experiences with Oklahoma farmer's markets. Ours in Stillwater is all products grown in Payne County, I believe. This weekend I paid $4 for a small basket of tomatoes, 50 cents per ear for very good corn, $5 for a loaf of bread, $2 for a head of garlic (that seemed high), $1 for a bunch of Swiss chard, $6 for a pint of beautiful blackberries, $4.50 for a pound of ground buffalo, $3.50 for pasture raised eggs. Mostly the prices seem reasonable for the quality and not completely out of line with grocery store prices. I know that economy of scale is one reason you can buy some produce for less at the grocery store, but I am willing to pay a little more to keep the market going and because of the quality. I do know it's not all organic, but the growers can all tell you how their produce is grown. Some will say it's not organic but sustainable.

• scottokla
    13 years ago

I can't believe blueberries would need to be treated with pesticides that much to show up on that list. Ours have never needed any treatment with any pesticide or fungicide.

I hope that was really 6.00 per quart for blackberries. A pint for &6.00 seems really high. That would be about 30 cents each for large cultivated berries.

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

okpraire - that still seems high to me. 2 dollar garlic? I would not pay that much for garlic. I guess it comes down to what it is really worth to a person. Me? I just don't worry as much as some, I guess. Not that I blame those that do..if I am making any sense.

• okiedoke
    13 years ago

I am wondering about this original market listed in east OKC? I am in OKC and visit several markets around town...didn't know there was one in east OKC. The one mentioned at OSU OKC is the biggest in the state, and is all OK grown.

I would encourage you to talk to your farmer before paying a premium price. Many are not "certified" organic for a number of reasons- it is three year process, that requires an immense amount of paperwork, for one. There are a lot of people, however that grow using no pesticides or herbicides, but for one reason or another are not certified organic. They will be happy to talk with you about their products and are as angry as anyone else about veggie peddlers disguised as farmers.
    I have been taking a farm tour class this summer and have gotten to meet a lot of these folks, and know that MANY MANY of them are committed to growing sustainably...but it is not easy and it is not cheap. They are not backed by big corporations. Those that are investing in greenhouses are putting out 10 K minimum to get that puppy built- a few of them are independently wealthy, and doing this because they love it. MANY are just doing it because it is important to them, and I assure you- I have been to their farms- none of them are getting rich. Growing sustainably on a large scale is an expensive and back breaking process- these farmers can only continue to do so if we support them.
    I am a frugal spender, and I have decided it is worth the price difference to know my farmer...it may mean I buy less food overall, and in the process, throw away less food- and enjoy what I do buy a little more.
    Think about it- we stand there sipping our $1.50 bottle of Dr Pepper and complain about a 20% mark-up to buy tomatoes that taste like tomatoes.
    I know a grower who went to strictly CSA sales after getting sick of people complaining about her prices...her response? "Well, then YOU grow it." so there ya go.
    Please don't stop looking til you find that farmer.
    BTW- Christian cheese is produced by a family whose name is Christian....and is $7 for 16 oz.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Okiedoke, if I could find that farmer...I don't care if they are certified...Just that they can PROUDLY tell me how they grow.

I am still looking here. If I find some that I love, I will share.

• okprairie
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, okiedoke. You said very well what I was trying to say.I support my farmer's market because I want to be able to buy fruits and veggies that taste like they're supposed to. And re: those blackberries, yes, it probably was a quart rather than a pint. Pat

• elkwc
    13 years ago

I will add a little I left out in my first post to this thread.

I buy as much as I can locally year round. Buy my eggs now(although planning to get hens again this fall) from a local man. His price varies from 1.50-2 dollar a dozen. Range raised. Buy most of my beef from a local butcher. I used to feed my own but quit that 5 years or so ago. I usually buy one of the 4-H show pigs from a coworker kids and have it butchered. A half lasts me a year easy. Buy local fruit when there is any.

Now for prices. The prices okprairie quoted are close to what I was thinking if I take produce to the farmers market in Guymon this summer. Depending on what the weather does and how my garden does. I have said I won't take less than $2.50 a pound for my bigger, better tasting heirlooms. If not worth that I'll use them myself or give them away. I will probably start asking 3-3.50 and see what the market will stand. The local greenhouse tomatoes are still 4.95 a pound and in my opinion mine are worth as much as his. Of course I'm sure his price will drop some. Garlic depending on the size of the bulb from $1.50-$2.50 a bulb on the gourmet garlic or ten dollars a pound which is reasonable I feel. Sweet corn has been $6.00-$7.00 a dozen here the last two seasons. I saw okra from $5.00-$7.00 last summer. If I have any extra it will be at least 5. Greenbeans, cukes and onions I'm not sure what I'll price them at yet. Won't have a lot of shallots to sell this year. But have seen them priced high. Peppers will vary by variety. Again what was available last season especially bell peppers sold high and went fast just like tomatoes. The last 2 season tomatoes have been in such short supply one market manager said it didn't matter what you priced them at by nine they were gone. I like to be fair. But if you consider the time and expense especially if growing organically and then the cost of driving 40 miles to take it too the market if you can't get a decent price better to stay home and take less or give it away. Jay

• okiedoke
    13 years ago

joellenh- maybe I can help- what part of the state do you live in?
    Another thought re:tomatoes...try to ask your farmer (if you can) what variety his/her tomatoes are. Some of them only grow three or four varieties- and they aren't always selected for taste...sometimes they are selected for yield and "keepability". Sad, but they are trying to stay in business. In my opinion though, if I am paying top dollar for a tomato- it better taste good!

• okiedoke
    13 years ago

:-) :-) @joellen- I just saw you were from jenks- and it made my day! Just so happens that my two favorite farms that we visited this summer are in your area!
    I have visited their farms and admired their set-ups, but gotta be honest- I do not know their prices.

http://www.thehaywire.typepad.com/

http://www.threespringsfarm.com/index.html

The first is not certified, because he wants to be able to treat his pigs on the rare occasion they get sick- but he is so committed he has set up a beautiful field rotation system for his pastured (and very happy) little piggies...and let me tell you....Veggies LOVE pig poop.

The second made a big point in explaining to us that you can grow organically, and still not be sustainable, and you can grow sustainably and still not be organic. They have not been farming their land yet long enough to be certified, but they are ABSOLUTELY committed to growing sustainably!

I found myself leaving the area wishing I lived close enough to Tulsa to go to the cherry street market and buy from
    them.
    Here is another I was impressed with as well:
    http://livingkitchen.homestead.com/

As a gardener, you might really enjoy seeing if you could arrange a visit as well.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Oh THANK YOU for the links. I am going to contact and hopefully visit them within the week. What an awesome experience it will be for the kids too!

• pedmond
    13 years ago

Another option to the Farmers Markets(I go to the one in Edmond from time to time), is the Oklahoma Food Cooperative. I've belonged to it for several years and even though their prices are more expensive than some grocery stores, I like the fact that I'm supporting locally owned producers.

They have pick up sites through-out the state and members($50 refundable fee) pick up their delivery once a month. Not only do they sell veggies(many of which are organic), eggs, cheese amd baked goods, they also have beef, bison and range-free chicken. It's also the only place where I've been able to find salt-free peanut butter(which really tastes great). Also, if I have a question about a product, I can call and actually talk to the producer of the product I'm buying.

BTW, I'm not a producer for the co-op, I just like the fact that it provides an alternative to store bought products and the fact that my money stays in Oklahoma to help other Oklahomans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Food Co-op

• elkwc
    13 years ago

Pedmond,
    Thanks for the link. I looked at some of the prices. Thought overall they were very fair. Most in the range I'm considering. Some maybe a little higher than the box stores but then to me it should be worth something to know how what you are buying was grown and processed. I might check to see if I can join and pick up itmes at their Guymon drop off. Saw a few things I would be interested in. Jay

• okiedoke
    13 years ago

I second the vote for the food coop...it takes a little more organization on everyone's part, but seems worth it. I am joining this month after having piggybacked a friend's membership for awhile. What dedication it takes to pull something like that together!

• laspasturas
    13 years ago

I love the Snider Farms peanut butter that we get through the coop! We go through a big jar every month. It is so good! We always keep some of the salted runner peanuts around for snacking and they were great in the holiday brittle this year.

I haven't ordered any fruits or veggies through the coop, but I've gotten good honey, nuts and a few other things since we joined.

• mrsfrodo
    13 years ago

I also try to buy local and organic where possible. This summer has been wonderful. 90% of are veggies and 75% of our meat is from the OSU Farmer's Market or food coop. Just wish the winter produce was as abundant, but a little at a time I am learning how to perserve what we like. Mostly freezing due to time constraints (if only a job wasn't necessary;) Most of the vendor's at the farmer's market welcome visitor's to there farm's and will answer questions about pesticide, antibiotic, etc. use. More and more are organically certified. I question some who use "no pesticides"- what about herbicides? Might not hurt me, but don't like the side effects to other plants. So I try to buy local and organic, then local and near organic, local and conventionally grown, then the grocery store. If something is conventionally grown, why not buy it fresh locally instead of one week old from the grocery store. Of course, it has taken a few years to get to this point, but the more familiar I get with the local sources the easier it is.

For those who don't want to join the coop, consider that the coop website has information that will allow you to contact most of the producers. Many give information on how animals are raised or if produce is raised organically. So you can find someone near you in the state and where they sell their products. Many people sell from their farm's or at farmer's markets closer to them. Other's might have their products in a local grocery store like Crescent Market or The Earth in OKC. It is a great resource- especially for those like me who isn't always organized for a once a month order and delivery!

BTW- the newest OKGazette just came out today. The issue is dedicated to articles about local food.

Paraphasing pedmond "BTW, I'm not a producer for the co-op or any other producer for the farmer's markets, I just like the fact that it provides an alternative to store bought products and the fact that my money stays in Oklahoma to help other Oklahomans." This is a topic I feel very passionate about, so I am glad to see so many of my gardenweb friends talking about it.

• fatboyreptiles
    13 years ago

I would like to tell you that that website is not correct because my wife and I were at the Edmund market and there was a few tables with California fruit on it.Just thought I would mention that.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES