SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy__gw

Passing down a 'guilt trip'

kathy_
12 years ago

Hubby's grandmother came from England.

Any trip she made "home" she returned with Royal Doulton. Her only remaining daughter (hubby's aunt) is in a nursing home. Oldest brother handled her affairs (mainly selling most of there things at a yard sale I wish I could have gone to). Auntie said hubby and I were to get the figurines (I got one out of 20+ which doesn't upset me too much). There are RD Toby mugs and pitchers in my basement that no one wants - some were to go to a long dead sister's family that has not had any contact with auntie since who knows when and that we wouldn't know their married names.

Now the older brother is wanting $58 a month from the 3 brothers so auntie can get her styled, have a phone she doesn't use and keep her Direct TV.

Auntie would have a conniption and hubby's brother walked out when we suggested it (hubby is completely in agreement) - but that stuff in my basement is heading to auction to pay for her care.

I guess my point is this..if you have stuff you treasure, enjoy it, but don't plan on it staying in the family when you are gone. Tastes change.

Things are not people!

Comments (11)