SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

How often do you get guilted into a project?

karpet
11 years ago

I just hung up the phone and had to share - only fellow quilters would understand this one! I have a friend that I've had a rocky past with, but we are on better grounds here recently. She made an agreement with another friend that she would make 2 t-shirt quilts for the friend and the friend would do senior pics for her in exchange. She told me about this deal in Jan. The quilts were to have been Christmas presents but had only been started in Jan. My friend kind of hinted that my machine would probably do a better job than hers and she was already late in completing these quilts. I listened, offered advice and that was all. She came back in Feb. and said they had to be done for Valentine's Day (less than a week away) told me she had the tops done but would I quilt them on my 'special machine' over the weekend? I told her 'No'. I told her my machine is a home sewing machine - not a long-arm machine. Hers would work and showed her what an even-feed foot was. She came back in March saying she could not find an even-feed foot, so I looked it up on Joann's site, showed it to her, and gave her a coupon and a gift card. She gave me the gift card back in April and said she found one on Amazon. She hit me up after church this weekend with her woes of how one of the quilts has to be done by Thur. I kind of smiled and said she was really procrastinating on these. She said she wasn't -she had been working really hard. And then she said she almost talked the friend into taking over the quilting part. (I thought she was trying to manipulate someone into it!) As I came out to the parking lot, she had her daughter out there and they held up the quilt top that has to be finished this week. She said the friend said expense was not the issue so I gave her the name of a local quilt shop that does long-arm quilting. Well, she just called me and said they have a 5-6 week wait list. She said again how her machine would just not do this. She asked if another lady in the church had a long-arm machine, I said I didn't think so. She said she was thinking of buying one just to finish these t-shirt quilts. I told her that they are very expensive. She said she really needed two people to get these quilted. Through all of it, I did not budge, I encouraged her, gave her advice and information, but I am not taking on these quilts to finish for her! I have to give it to her - she has been persistent! The last thing I could tell her was if it really was too much for her, she should hand the quilt tops over to the friend and explain that it would be better if the friend found a long-arm quilter to do the quilting.

Have you ever had someone persistently try to get you to take on their project and finish it? (I also told another guy at church that I do not do zippers - I'm getting down right cantankerous as I get older!)

Karlene

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES