Ready for divorce after 45 years
13 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (42)
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
Related Discussions
Dating While Divorcing
Comments (18)I agree with cyn427 "no dating until the papers are finalized" as it reinforces the idea her husband was the cheater. Does that influence the division of property? I don't know anyone who has gone through a cheating situation divorce to ask. Her time should be spent enhancing her work skills, making a plan for the future and perhaps finding a job so she can support herself and pay on her share of the loan. How does she spend her current days? Until she finds something to constructively occupy her time, is able to support herself and develops some self-respect she could be going from one problem relationship to another....See MoreGetting ready for empty nest next year
Comments (2)How do you go from being a mother who your child depended on to someone that no one seems to need? I'm not exactly in your shoes. I'm not single and I have 2 college students, not one. But most of my life revolved around my kids since I was mostly a SAHM and worked part time. The first thing I guess I would say is that my kids both seem to enjoy having me around more now than they did when they were in high school. They both go to college close enough for me to drive up (or down, depending on the college) and have lunch with them. When your daughter starts her freshman year, give her some space and time to get acclimated, and time to start missing you. Then if you are close enough, you may find that she enjoys having you come for short visits sometimes. I find that my kids are around a lot more than I thought they would be, and like to have me visit them more than I thought they would. My other suggestion is to shove those negative thoughts out of your mind after she leaves, and think about positive things. Now is your time to rekindle friendships that you didn't have time for before, or make new ones. Time to take up new hobbies, repaint the house, or whatever you've wanted to do that you put off. Volunteer. There are probably people all around you who need you. And exercise - exercise helps keep the blues away. Every time you think, "Oh how much I miss little Susie, my heart is just breaking", shove that thought out, be thankful you raised such an independent, capable and intelligent young woman, and think about how much you can't wait to buy that new rose bush or take that Italian cooking class, or whatever. One day you will be exercising or gardening or whatever it is that you like to do, and you'll realize the hole in your heart is not so big or so painful. And after she comes home next summer you may even be happy to see her go back to school in the fall and get back the peace and quiet you've grown accustomed to. I know that advice sounds trite and cliched, but it worked for me. Give yourself time to grieve. But keep trying new things or rediscovering old things until you find something that helps fill the hole in your heart....See MorePurchasing a home with 45 year old appliances
Comments (68)Thanks for the ideas. Yes that is what I need to do except we went and looked at that house again and it has not been kept up with, and has mold in the basement now, with the plants along the house shriveled up we can see cracks in the foundation and I requested that the water be turned on so we could check that that works, toilets,etc. but they didn't have it on. The plumber was there and did winterize it but they still have it for sale.How can you buy a house when the water and gas aren't even on? They knew we were close to getting our sold because my relator told their relator the other day, then today they winterize?Seems they are hiding something as the water has never been turned on anytime we have walked thru that house. Plus we know the water heater was leaking and there was water all over the basement floor too. That is probably why the water was off but sheesh you know!! If you want to sell your house you fix what has to be fixed so you can show it. Now we have our house sold and no house to buy. Nothing on the market we want. How did this happen... Got to find a place but winter is upon us and our closing is Dec 5. Whoa is me. Will keep you posted. There is a very nice house going on the auction block and it looks very nice but I bet it will go for more than we have to pay. We want to be mortgage free totally. But the taxes there are high too so this tax info will help with this house. Going to get a hold of the courthouse this week. Auction is Nov 9....See MoreAdult Stepdaughter Still Resents Me After 20 Years
Comments (6)Greetings. I also have no specific advice for you, however I can tell that this is a huge ongoing disappointment for you. Very unfortunate for sure. I would like to offer several observations from my own experiences. It seems to me that this general attitude from your stepdaughter is not specifically related to your "Step" relationship with her, rather it is likely due to her poor attitudes and values/priorities towards life and family in general. This negative attitude could also be largely due to her own personality traits and the broad family dynamics that all families experience. I have seen this negative ignoring attitude situation with grown children directed towards their intact family biological parents, and certainly towards their siblings. Parenting is an inherently flawed process, and mature adult children will rise above the past, forgive their parents (step or not) and work to build good family relationships, if that is important to them. This ignoring behavior from the stepdaughter is probably not about you specifically, however you make a very convenient target. One thing I had to teach myself is that when I give a card or gift to someone, I would simply enjoy my internal feeling of love by giving the gift, and to not expect any loving response in return. A loving act in return would just be some unexpected and wonderful "icing on the cake," if you know what I mean. If you don't truly enjoy the giving of the gifts and cards to your stepdaughter, then there is no point in continuing to give them. You might leave this card/gift duty up to her other parents and just go on giving to the ones that will actively participate in life with you in a positive way. Leave the door open for your stepdaughter to mature, however life is short and I say enjoy the loving relationships you have with your other family and friends, and let stepdaughter chart her own course without your concern. Good luck! I hope that my comments help in some small way....See More- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 10 months ago
Related Stories

GREEN BUILDINGOff the Grid: Ready to Pull the Plug on City Power?
What to consider if you want to stop relying on public utilities — or just have a more energy-efficient home
Full Story
DECORATING STYLESIs Your Home Ready for a 1970s Revival?
Seventies chic is a trend that’s been brewing for some time, but this year it could hit big — with a few modern tweaks
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESThis Designer’s Client Was Her 10-Year-Old Son
What do you give a boy with a too-babyish bedroom when he’s approaching double digits? See for yourself
Full Story
LIFEImprove Your Love Life With a Romance-Ready Bedroom
Frank talk alert: Intimacy and your bedroom setup go hand in hand, says a clinical sexologist. Here's her advice for an alluring design
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHoliday Party Prep: Ready Your Supplies
Take stock of serveware, wash off the dust and clear out the pantry now for low-stress entertaining later
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGClutter vs. Keepers: A Guide to New Year's Purging
Simple questions to get in touch with your clutter comfort level — and figure out what needs to go
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: What's Your New Year's Resolution for the House?
Whether you've resolved to finally finish a remodeling project or not stress about your home's imperfections, we'd like to hear your plan
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Color Explodes at a Surfer’s Malibu Beach House
Finding himself a bachelor after a divorce and retirement, this homeowner chose bright, bold colors to breathe new life into his home
Full Story
WINTER GARDENINGPruning Secrets for Exquisite Roses
Encourage gorgeous blooms year after year with this time-tested advice on how to prune your rosebush in winter for health and shape
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSDouble-Duty Function and Singular Style for a California Nursery
Modern and bright, this thoughtfully designed baby's room is ready to welcome a newborn girl and overnight guests
Full StorySponsored
Pam King