SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Bacon Baking, Straight Talk

There are questions about how I made those very flat and straight bacon strips in my post in the WFD thread.

I didnÂt make them because they look interesting that way. Let me explain why I made those.

I enjoy bacon and sometimes I eat lots of bacon. I donÂt do it often; I have eaten a pound all by myself in one meal.

The important thing is that we all need to be doing the best for our health and bacon fat is associated with a variety of serious health issues.

I have been working on many different way of getting the fat out from bacon making, and this is one of them. I am happy to share the trick with you.

The photo basically is very self-explanatory. The only thing I need to add is that the rashers were stretched out hanging down touching the cookie sheet, but after a while they will shrink and become taut and straight. I donÂt use bacon fat. For those of you who cook with bacon fat, the cookie sheet is tilted so that all the fat will collect at one end.

Using a bacon press will give you flat but not straight bacon. Also the press of course will make the bacon kind of greasy.

The advantages of this method are;

1. The bacon strips will not shrink after cooking. It gives you the feeling that you are eating a lot more.

2. The bacon strips never touch the fat. They will cook very lean, and uniformly crispy.

3. You will end up with straight and flat bacon strips, which are kind of cool looking.

dcarch

Comments (37)