SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Ahh - Butter my friend...and what we won't do with it here in MN

13 years ago

The Minnesota State Fair begins on Thursday. One of the things that happens at the fair is the Princess Kay of the Milky Way competition. Young girls from dairy farms enter the competion. Of the 100 or so contestants, twelve are selected as finalists. And one is selected as Princess Kay and receives a scholarship. My friend Lisa Schaffer won in 1983. The Princess Kay contestents are also known as the "butterheads". Why????????

The butter booth is one of the most popular features at the fair. The twelve finalists sit and have a likeness of their head carved in a 90 lb block of grade A Minnesota butter. The girls wear winter coats as the butter booth is less than 40 degrees. One woman for the last 40 years has done the carving. The carving of the butterhead takes 6 to 7 hours.

The girls get to take home their "butterhead" at the end of the fair. My friend Lisa got married on her farm shortly after the fair. Hundreds of people enjoyed a corn roast at the reception and Lisa's butterhead was used on the ears. I remember Lisa saying at the reception "oh no -there goes my nose!"

I'm sure some of you have heard of this event. The butterheads garner national attention every year.

Here is a short video of one lady that is a mother to 3 "butterheads". She is the first section of the video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterheads at the Minnesota State Fair

Comments (10)