SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Endless Stock With My Crock Pot?

John Liu
12 years ago

Perhaps 200 million crock pots have been sold since the device was invented in the early 1970s. I'll guess that 50 million of them live in our basements, whiling away the years with solitare and crossword puzzles. If they are lucky, there's a pasta maker or bread machine to keep them company.

For whatever reason, I have just never been able to get it together and actually use my crock pot regularly. The idea sounds great, and I try a couple times a year, but it seems I'm just too scatterbrained to be thinking about dinner at 5 AM. My crockpot perennially teeters on the edge of the garage sale box, but never quite gets tipped in.

Now I've finally thought of a way to use this long-neglected appliance. See what you think.

I like making stock, and I especially like having a pot of stock on the range, bubbling and ready for withdrawals whenever I need a ladle of tasty liquid, and ready for deposits whenever I have a handful of stems or trimmings or the last dregs from a bottle of wine. So much easier than running down to the basement freezer, melting a gallon of frozen stock, using a cup of it, and pouring the rest into jars to clutter up my refrigerator.

The problem is, I can't very well keep a pot heating 24/7 on the gas range. If I lived in a hut on the Mongolian steppes, maybe we'd have a cauldron of stock on the wood fire all the time, and an aged relative assigned to tend it, but I don't. One night a rag or scrap would fall on the burner, the house would burn down, and you'd all be invited to my funeral.

I was even thinking of buying a countertop induction hob as a safe way to keep a pot simmering all the time. Then I realized, there is a lonely crockpot playing pinochle with the pasta machine in the down-under - why I can't I use that?

The idea is to keep the crockpot on the counter, turned to low, day and night, constantly simmering my endless pot of stock. I figure it would cost about 35 cents/month in electricity and take up about 1 square foot of counter.

What do you think? Does anyone do this?

Comments (26)