SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Hatch chilis - recipes?

jessyf
14 years ago

I picked up about a pound of fresh Hatch chili peppers - I looked up how to roast, steam, peel and store/freeze them, so I'm good to go on that front.

I don't know what they taste like so I can't plan a dish - are they mild, hot, or full of surprises? Do me, and TIA.

Comments (31)

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The problem is that "Hatch chili" is a marketing name and covers quite a few actual chili varieties. It's not a variety in itself. Some are mild(-ish), some medium, some "hot" (no more than a mild jalapeno). Scoville range is 1000u to maybe 2500u.

I'm also a little confused. The varieties known as "Hatch chilies" are rarely grown and sold outside of New Mexico and west Texas.

Where did you buy "hatch chilies"? Were they actually labeled as "Hatch"?

Joe

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Joe, thats what I was afraid of. Bought them at Bristol Farms, labeled from New Mexico. DH and DS #1 love heat, DS #2 and I are averse, so guess who gets to do the tasting. They are apparently all over Los Angeles, mostly Albertsons, who have 'hatch chili roasting' weekends for a short time.

• Related Discussions

Hatch Chili peppers

Q

Comments (9)
    I usually roast about 20 lbs every fall and use them in all sorts of things during the year. . .as teresa said, Green Chile burgers are wonderful, but the Pink Adobe Green Chile Stew is a fall "staple" at my house!! I pulled this off an internet site. . .enjoy!! Pink Adobe Green Chile stew Yeild 6 servings 2 T olive oil 2 lb boneless pork, cut into 1 inch cubes 1/2 c chopped onion 1 clove garlic, minced 1/4 c flour 2 c peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes 2 cups roasted, peeled and chopped fresh green chilies.(use rubber gloves!) Or 2 7oz cans green chilies drained and chopped. 1 fresh jalapeno chopped(gloves)take out membranes and seeds 1 tea salt 1/2 tea fresh fr. black pepper 1/2 tea sugar 1 cup chicken or beef broth Heat olive oil in 4 qt dutch oven with cover. Add pork and cook until litely browned. Add onion and garlic and stir with meat. Add flour and stir 1-2 mins. Add tomatoes, chilies, jalapeno, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix to incorporate. Add broth. Lower heat. Cover pot and simmer for 1- 1 1/2 hours unitl meat is tender.
    ...See More

RECIPE: fruit chili sauce recipe

Q

Comments (4)
    Just came across this! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Annies-Fruit-Salsa-and-Cinnamon-Chips/Detail.aspx Annie's Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips 2 kiwis, peeled and diced 2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced 8 ounces raspberries 1 pound strawberries 2 tablespoons white sugar 1 tablespoon brown sugar 3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas butter flavored cooking spray 2 cups cinnamon sugar Directions In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.
    ...See More

RECIPE: chili sauce for hot dogs....need recipe

Q

Comments (2)
    i like this one: "This super-easy Coney-style meat sauce is just what you need to add that extra little something to a hot dog or some ordinary fries. You don't even have to fry the meat, just put all the ingredients together and simmer." INGREDIENTS: 1 pound lean ground beef 1 cup water 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce 1 (1.25 ounce) package chili seasoning mix 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard 1 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder DIRECTIONS: 1. Stir lean ground beef, water, tomato sauce, chili seasoning mix, yellow mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder together in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until ground beef is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. 2. Remove lid and simmer sauce until thickened, about 20 more minutes. Here is a link that might be useful: Chili Style Coney Sauce
    ...See More

RECIPE: fruit chili sauce recipe - found it!

Q

Comments (2)
    I liked the fact that there are no herbs or spices to take away from the flavor of the fruits. I also think that she used a 6 qt. basket of tomatoes because it wasn't the usual red colour and you couldn't really taste the tomatoes. Enjoy!
    ...See More
  • gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

I LOVE Bristol Farms. Aside from the orginal Whole Foods store in Austin, TX, it's my favorite chain.

And since the peppers are labeled "from new Mexico", they're real "Hatch chilis" (albeit some variety within that category).

Most of our stores up here have "California chilis", which are sweeter cousins to "hatch". Usually sold as 'Anaheim', which is an old variety actually not much grown anymore by commercial farmers. They look identical to "Hatch".

Why not roast one and try it to determine it's "hotness" and then go from there?

Joe

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah I love Bristol Farms too - incredible quality on everything - but not their prices, LOL, and they aren't close to me either. I happened to be near one and picked up the chilis on a lark.

I'll go ahead and roast them all - conserve the resources - do they differ in heat from pepper to pepper?

And you still haven't told me what to do with them. (Um keep in mind we do kosher style, no pork, and no mixing milk/meat).

Thanks!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Dried and ground Hatch chilis are my chili powder!
    I made a dip last night with fresh garlic, roasted and skinned chilis, a piece of sundried tomato in oil, ricotta and about a T of grated parm.
    Yummy....with lots of bite.
    Linda C

• empress
    14 years ago

I live in Phoenix and I was surprised to find fresh Hatch chilies in my local grocery store, too. I don't recall seeing them there in past years.

I have traveled in and around Taos, NM each year at this time for 26 years. Everywhere you turn there you will find Hatch chilies on restaurant menus, roadside stands, being roasted, and in riastras. Most of the time it appear to be the the Anaheim chili. After all those years that is what I have learned to think of as the Hatch Chili.

I bought some and used them for chili rellenos last week, and I will freeze more to enjoy this winter. To me the heat level of these chilis is mild to medium, though heat varies depending on the year, growing conditions, ripeness, etc. Everyone's perception of heat is a their own, but for example, I consider bell peppers to be sweet and not hot at all, as are banana peppers. I consider jalapenos hot, but I can eat them, and do often. I consider pepperocini medium and Hatch chilis at the low side of medium.

That said, I do recommend if you possibly can, do the roasting outside on the grill. Doing 3 or 4 on the stove top or under the broiler is all right, but you could easily be overcome by the peppery fumes if roasting many more than that.

I was looking for more ideas or recipes, too. I use peppers in and on scrambled eggs, macaroni and cheese, hash browns, almost any chicken dish, and toss a few in any recipe that could use a little livening up, but they are not a strong enough flavor to hold up the a pot of chile.

Please excuse the novel. Enjoy the Hatch chilis.

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

Hatch chiles arrived here the first week in August. Roasting will go on until early October. A bushel, roasted, sells for $22.00 to 25.00 or as low as two bushels for $30.00. There is nothing better than to go out on a sunny Saturday morning, have breakfast at a Mexican restaurant, and then put in your order and stand smelling the great scent of roasting chiles. Hatch chiles are always labeled mild, medium or hot. The mild are very mild and the hot are what I would call just moderately hot. I buy medium and hot. Some stands have as many as fourteen or so kinds of chiles, not just Hatch, most stands here will have at least half a dozen varieties. There is a several mile stretch along one street that has more than ten stands and here a stand often means a small building with a market inside and a number of roasters in the parking lot.

You will have to do a taste test. Hatch chilles are good for just about anything, rellenos, Ann T's Pork chile Verde (maybe chicken chile verde for you), cut up in fritatas.

I can smell and taste them now.

Lee

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Chili Rellenos Won Ton Appetizers

Makes 6 dozen appetizers

Ingredients

2 lbs ground beef
    2 medium onions, chopped finely
    2 cups shredded "soy" cheese
    1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    Dash garlic salt
    1 medium green chili, roasted, minced
    1 package won ton wrappers
    oil for frying

Directions

Brown and drain beef. Combine beef, onion, cheese, oregano, cumin, garlic salt and chilies.

Place a small spoonful of meat mixture on each won ton wrapper and follow package directions for folding and sealing.

Deep fry 1-1/2 minutes or until golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Serve warm.

------------------

Corn Salsa

Serves 8-12

Ingredients:

4 medium ears sweet corn
    1/2 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced
    10 large roasted and peeled green chiles
    2 small zucchini, peeled and minced
    1 medium purple onion, minced
    1 medium red bell pepper, minced
    2 medium yellow hot peppers, minced
    1 small jalapeno, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp fresh milled black pepper
    4 Tbs olive oil
    1-1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar

Directions

Put the corn in cold water and bring to a boil. Cook corn, covered, for 12 minutes. You can blanch the chiles in the boiling water with the corn. Drain, set aside to cool.

In a large glass or ceramic bowl start combining ingredients. Add the tomatoes, chilies, zucchini, onion, bell peppers, chili, jalapeno, garlic and cilantro.

Cut the corn off the cob (it should be cool enough to handle by now).

NOTE: After you have taken the kernels off the cob run the dull side of your knife down the cob to extricate the small white seed-like material. This is where the sweet in sweet corn comes from. Add to bowl.

Add the vinegar and oil.

Salt and pepper to taste.

------------------

Crema de Chili Poblano con Queso Blanco
    Cheesy Creamed Poblano Chili with Corn

Makes approximately 6 servings

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely diced
    1 small clove garlic, crushed fine
    1 1/2 cups roasted corn, removed from the cob
    4 large green chilies (at least 4 inches by 5 inches
    in size), roasted and peeled
    1 tablespoon flour
    1/4 cup soy milk
    1/4 cup "soy" Jack cheese

Directions

Roast the poblano chiles over medium high heat, under the broiler, or over an open flame (such as your grill). Turn the chilies frequently to prevent over cooking on any one side, and let the entire chile pepper become charred and blackened. Remove from the heat and place in a slightly damp towel, allow to cool to loosen the skin. Once cool, carefully peel the skin from the chili, remove the stem end, and slice open to remove the seeds. Dice the chili in 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch pieces; set to the side.

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sautuntil just beginning to become translucent and then add the garlic. Sauté for another minute before adding the corn and chile.
    Add the corn and chili and sauté these for 1 to 2 minutes, just enough to heat thoroughly and slightly brown the edges. Remove the onion, garlic, corn and chile from the pan and set to the side.

Add the flour and stir constantly until it begins to brown slightly.

Slowly pour the soy milk into the cooked flour while stirring constantly. Continue to stir until the mixture begins to form thickened "gravy".

Add the soy cheese and stir until melted.

Return the onion, garlic, chili and corn to the pan and stir until all of these are covered with the cheese sauce.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve as a side dish as is or use it as sauce over potatoes, meat or other vegetables.

-------------------------------

Southwestern Chili Rellenos Quiche

Ingredients

Pie Crust (see recipe below)
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, finely diced
    4 or 5 large green chili peppers, roasted and peeled
    1 cup shredded "soy" Jack cheese
    1/4 cup black olives, sliced
    1/4 cup sliced green onions, include green ends
    1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar "soy" cheese, divided
    4 large eggs, slightly beaten
    3/4 cup plain "soy" milk
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Prepare the crust. (Recipe in two more pages.)

While the crust is in the refrigerator, place the ground beef into a large frying pan over medium heat and brown until almost all the red is gone.

Add the onion and continue to cook until the onions are transparent, about 3 or 4 minutes.

Add the chopped garlic and cook, approximately 1 minute, until the garlic is transparent; remove from heat and set aside.

Once the crust is chilled, remove from refrigerator and roll it into the shape of your baking dish, making it approximately 1-inch larger than your baking dish. Place it in the un-greased baking dish and gently conform it to the sides. Crimp it around the top so it will keep the filling from going over and under the quiche.

Split the long green chiles lengthwise and arrange them along the bottom of the pie crust evenly.
    Layer the ground beef mixture, soy Jack cheese, sliced olives, and green onions over the ground beef mixture.

Repeat the layers, alternating Jack with the sharp soy cheese, until all the ingredients are used or the mixture has come up to the top of the baking dish.

NOTE: Reserve the 1/8 cup of sharp soy cheese to top at the end of cooking time.
    Whisk the eggs, soy milk, salt, and pepper together; pour over the top of the entire dish, allowing it to soak in.
    Place in the oven and bake uncovered for 40 minutes. During the last 5 minutes cover the top with the remaining 1/8 cup sharp soy cheese and allow to melt. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Cut into squares and serve with condiments such as Pico de Gallo and sour cream.

Pie Crust:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    6 tablespoons butter, slice by tablespoon and chill well
    2 tablespoons shortening
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup ice water

Place the butter and lard in the freezer while you get together the other ingredients and set up your food processor.

Add the flour, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt to the processor and pulse to mix, approximately 3 to 4 times.

Add butter and pulse and additional 5 to 6 times until texture looks like a coarse meal.

Add cold shortening and pulse another 3 to 4 times.

Through the chute of the food processor, add 2 teaspoons of the ice water, and pulse 4 to 5 times. Repeat this, only adding 1 teaspoon at a time, until the mixture becomes the size of small peas.

Place mixture in large zip-top bag, squeeze together until it forms a ball, and then press into a rounded disk and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

--------------------------------------

Roasted Chili Pepper and Tomatillo Salsa

Serves many

Ingredients

6 to 10 medium chili peppers
    10 medium tomatillos
    1 bunch green onions
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and crushed**
    Juice of 1 to 2 limes (according to your taste)
    1/2 small bunch cilantro, finely chopped
    Coarse salt, to taste

Corn chips

* How hot you make your salsa depends on the kind of chilies and the amount you use.

** To lightly toast coriander seeds, cook them in a small dry skillet over medium heat until the aroma is released. Crush with a mortar and pestle or seal in a plastic bag and crush with a heavy pan.

Directions

Preheat the broiler of your oven. Wash and dry the peppers. Remove husks from tomatillos; wash and pat dry. Place chili peppers and tomatillos on a baking sheet; broil 3 to 5 minutes each side until blackened. Remove from oven. Place hot chile pepper in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap or an airtight lid, and allow to steam for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove chile peppers. Using a sharp knife, remove stems, skins and seeds.

Roughly chop tomatillos, chili peppers and green onions. Place in food processor or blender and add garlic and toasted coriander seeds. Pulse until uniform in texture, but not pureed.

Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt, to taste.

---------------------------------

New Mexican Spicy Beef Stew

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

1 cup dried pinto beans, sorted, rinsed, and drained
    3 pounds boneless chuck roast, well trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
    Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
    Santa Fe seasoning (see recipe below)
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
    2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    4 medium green chili, minced, with seeds
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 1/2 cups red wine
    2 cups beef stock
    2 cups chicken stock
    28 ounces plum tomatoes, chopped, with juices
    1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
    11 ounces smoked turkey kielbasa sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 medium red and/or yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch triangles
    3 small zucchini squash, cut into 1-inch thick rounds
    Minced fresh cilantro

Directions

In a large soup pot or cast-iron Dutch Oven over medium-high heat, place beans and cover with water. Bring just to a boil; reduce heat to lowest, cover, and let simmer 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; set aside.

Place beef pieces in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add 2 teaspoons Santa Fe seasoning; toss well. Add flour and toss to coat.

In a large pot or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 4 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add beef pieces in batches and brown well; using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; reduce heat to medium. Add onions and tomato paste; stir 2 minutes.

Add red wine and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits.

Add beef and chicken stocks, tomatoes, and cayenne pepper; reduce heat to low and bring to simmer.

Add beef pieces; cover partially and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans, cover partially, and simmer another 1 hour.

Uncover, add remaining Santa Fe seasoning, and simmer an additional 45 minutes or until beef pieces and beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Degrease stew if necessary.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, add kielbasa sausage and cook 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

Add bell peppers, chilies, and zucchini; sauté another 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.

Mix sausage and vegetables into stew; simmer 5 minutes longer or until just tender.

Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sourdough bread or cornbread.

Santa Fe seasoning:

3 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
    2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, thyme, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon.

----------------------------------------------

Southwest Corn Custard with Roasted Peppers

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (or 1 pound frozen corn kernels, thawed, divided)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 cup milk
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    4 large eggs
    1/2 whole vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
    (or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
    1/2 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to touch
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup chopped roasted green chilies*
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

* Roast chilies by slicing them in half lengthwise, placing them on a cookie sheet, brushing very lightly with olive oil and then putting them under the broiler until the skin has charred and appears loose on the pepper. Then wrap the pepper with a slightly dampened paper towel and place them in a closeable plastic bag until they have cooled to touch. The skin should peel easily from the pepper.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350° F. and butter a 1 1/2-quart shallow casserole or quiche dish.

In the food processor, pulse half of the corn until it forms a paste (this will take approximately 8 to 10 pulses on most food processors).

In a medium-sized bowl, mix the corn paste, the remainder of the whole corn kernels, sugar, salt, milk, cream, eggs, and vanilla seeds or extract. Mix well, taking care to make sure the processed corn paste is mixed in thoroughly or you will have clumps in your finished dish.

Add the flour, butter, and diced green chilies, stirring until combined.
    Pour the mixture into your prepared casserole or quiche dish. Sprinkle the nutmeg over the custard.

Bake on the middle rack of your oven until the center is just set, about 40 to 45 minutes (30 minutes at the same temperature if you are using a convection oven). Remove from oven.
    Allow to the corn custard to set for approximately 5 minutes before serving.

--------------------------------------

Santa Fe Corn Soufflé

Serves 8

Ingredients

2 cups fresh corn kernels stripped from the cob
    5 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    3 large eggs, separated
    1/2 cup roasted, peeled, and chopped fresh green chilies
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Heat oven to 375° F degrees.

Using 2 tablespoons of the butter, grease a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish. Sprinkle dish lightly with flour to prevent soufflé from sticking. Set aside.

In a medium skillet, sauté onion in remaining butter until soft.

In a food processor, combine egg yolks, onion and corn. Process until corn is fine. Transfer to a large bowl.

Stir in chilies and salt.

Beat egg whites until stiff. With a rubber spatula, fold gently but thoroughly into corn mixture. Scrape into prepared soufflé dish.

Bake 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° F and bake 30 minutes longer, until lightly browned and when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

-----------------------------

Chicken and Peppers Fajitas

Serves 6

Ingredients

4 halves skinless boneless chicken breast
    5 Tbs olive oil
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
    2 Tbs minced fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    10 6-inch flour tortillas
    1 large red onion, sliced thinly
    3 large green chilies, cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips

Directions

Lightly pound chicken between sheets of wax paper to thickness of 1/2 inch.

Mix 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice, orange juice, garlic, chipotle pepper, cilantro, salt and pepper in large glass baking dish. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350° F.

Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in oven until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Turn oven off. Leave tortillas in oven.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes.

Add peppers and sauté until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer vegetables to large bowl and tent with foil to keep warm.

Do not clean skillet.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat.

Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Add chicken to skillet and sauté until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.

Season chicken with salt and pepper and cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips. Combine with vegetables.

Serve, passing tortillas, salsa, sour cream (or crema) and guacamole.

-------------------------------------------

Green Chili Soup with Chicken and Onion

Yields 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

3 medium green chiles, roasted and peeled
    4 Tbs (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1 small onion, finely minced
    1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
    4 tablespoons flour
    3 cups chicken broth
    1 cup diced cooked chicken
    1-1/2 cups corn kernels
    2/3 cup half-and-half
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    Chopped fresh cilantro (coriander) and/or parsley for garnish

Directions

Puree in a blender or food processor, adding a little broth if needed.

Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan and sauté on low-medium heat the onion and garlic until wilted but not taking on color, about 5 minutes.

Blend in flour with a whisk over low heat and then add pureed chilies and broth. Simmer, partly covered, for about 5 minutes.

Add chicken, corn, and half-and-half to hot soup. Cook 10 minutes or until corn is plump and tender.

Adjust seasonings and serve immediately in warm cups or small bowls.

Have cilantro at the table.

-------------------------------

Southwestern Tortellini Chowder

Serves 6

Ingredients

1 small head broccoli, chopped small
    2 medium roasted chilies, chopped
    1 1/2 cup corn (drained, if canned)
    3 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1 1/2 cups mild to medium-hot salsa
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
    18 ounces cheese tortellini
    1 5-ounce can evaporated milk
    Dash of salt
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Directions

Lightly steam broccoli, chili and corn.

In large pot bring broth, salsa, orange peel to a boil; simmer for 3 minutes.

Stir in tortellini and vegetables. Cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes until tender.

Stir in milk and salt; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. DO NOT BOIL or milk will curdle.

Top each serving with Parmesan cheese and cilantro.

------------------------------

Tex-Mex Chicken Pasta

Serves 6

Ingredients:

3 cups ziti pasta
    2 medium roasted green chilies, chopped
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
    1/2 cup prepared basil pesto or salsa verde
    1/2 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
    1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1- 1/2 lbs chicken breast tenders
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
    1 medium red bell pepper, sliced

Directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

In small bowl combine peppers, cilantro, olives, pesto, milk, and Cotija cheese; set aside.

Heat olive oil in large skillet and add chicken. Stir fry over medium high heat until light brown.

Add onion, garlic and bell peppers and stir fry until chicken is thoroughly cooked and peppers are crisp tender.

When you start cooking the chicken, start cooking the pasta in the boiling water. When al dente, drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid.

Mix the cooked and drained pasta with the pesto mixture along with enough pasta cooking liquid to make a sauce. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until heated through.

Combine the pasta and the chicken and vegetables.

Serve immediately.

------------------------------

Southwest Vegetable Paella

Serves 6

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 medium green chilie, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
    14 1/2 ounces vegetable broth
    1 cup tomatoes, peeled, chopped
    ¼ teaspoon turmeric
    ¼ teaspoon red pepper
    1 pound black beans, cooked, rinsed & drained
    1 ½ cup corn kernels (drained if canned)

Directions

In a large skillet, heat olive oil and cook onion, and garlic till tender (4-5 minutes).

Add rice, vegetable broth, tomatoes, green chilies and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.

Stir in black beans and corn, cover and cook an additional 15 minutes.

------------------------

Chili Cornbread

Makes 12 servings

Ingredients:

3/4 cup chopped roasted green chili
    Nonstick cooking spray
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 cup corn kernels
    1- 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1- 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
    1 large egg
    2 large egg whites
    4 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 8 X 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

Spray small skillet with cooking spray. Add chilies and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until peppers are tender. Stir in corn; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cumin and salt in large bowl. Add buttermilk, egg, egg whites and butter; mix until blended. Stir in corn mixture.

Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Cut into 12 squares before serving.

Joe

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Gee whiz, Joe, got a pepper recipe??
    C&P as fast as I can. They all sound good!

I think the quiche and won tons will be first!

Thanks,
    Deanna

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG Joe

I have to create a whole word file for those! Thanks!

Empress, welcome to the forum. Yup, we have an outdoor grill. Wouldn't do it otherwise!

• bbstx
    14 years ago

link to Central Market (a Texas gourmet grocery chain) Hatch chili recipes

Here is a link that might be useful: CM Hatch chili recipes

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

While I was food porn surfing at FoodGawker..I found this just a second ago..

Here is a link that might be useful: Hatch Chile Gazpacho

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Just so everyone knows, ...

1) I have lots more chili pepper recipes. These were the ones that came closest to jessy's restrictions.

2) even among those I posted, I tweaked a few to avoid the meat/dairy dilemma (soy products) and eliminated pork from one or two.

If anyone want all my recipes, unedited, let me know.

Joe

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Joe, I would love all your recipes please - how can I get them?

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(Watch out Joe you may have started something! Talk to AnnT about sharing HUGE recipe collections LOL. BTW there are lots of batch file up/down loader sites, I can ask my kids which are the better ones these days)

I've put all 16 of your recipes in a word file, will peruse later. Can't wait too long because I have roasted chilis in my fridge!

• empress
    14 years ago

Thanks for the welcome, jessyf, but I've actually been a member for ten years or so. I lurked for quite a while before I actually registered, and I still mostly lurk. (AND copy and paste, of course!!)

Thanks, Joe for all the recipes! Of course, while in Taos I've purchased a cookbook or two with recipes using chili peppers, I just haven't actually made many of them. Having a few tried and trues from you now is great.

And Linda, I don't know why I have not made my own chili powder before. I will definitely pick up a couple riastras for that purpose on my upcoming trip. I bet my fruit smoothies will have a new dimension for a while after that, because I'm not sure how well the capsaicin will come out of the container. What is your experience, or do you have a separate container or device for your chili powder?

Thanks all for a good topic.

• vieja_gw
    14 years ago

Is correct ... no variety of chile is called "Hatch" - just the name of the SW area of our state (NM) that grows all the many varieties of chile here. Local WalMart selling 30 lb. bags of Hatch "Barker" (variety)chile grown by the Gillis Farms there for $14.88 a bag roasted. Two Guns (? sp.) is another farm in Hatch that grows & sells chile here in WalMart also. Heard that some chile x Mexico has been coming up illegally labelled as "Hatch Chile"! Due to great growing conditions/weather it is supposed to be a bumper year for Hatch chile farmers. We have picked & roasted 106 lbs. of our own crop so far & frozen or dried & ground it. Even in our glass blender we keep it strictly for chile as I find when I grind anything else in it it gets the taste/heat of chile! MY blender is off limits to my husband & his chile!!!

• empress
    14 years ago

Thanks, vieja. Good to know about your glass blender container. I will be on the look out for a spare container for mine. It is a VitaMix, so maybe I'll just be on the lookoout for a cheap blender! Do you think a coffee grinder would work-one chili at a time?

• jude31
    14 years ago

Never heard of Hatch Chilis until yesterday on this thread. Tonight I get an email from the Fresh Market advertising, you guessed it, Hatch Chilis. Knoxville is coming up in this world!

jude

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

By the way, here's a pic I took of Joe's Southwest Corn Custard with Roasted Peppers (Yummy):

• lindac
    14 years ago

I have a spice grinder for chilis and the like.
    For a lot of years my DH and I would spend a week or so in the Taos/Sante Fe area in late August. We bought chilis and ristras and chili powder.... and other stuff, cook books you name it! I found that sometimes the ristras hatched moths.....?
    I usually came home with several sorts of "Hatch" chilis...some roasted darker, some hotter, some milder....but they were all called "hatch".
    Empress, you know Arnie's?
    Linda C

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

LOL Linda, yes Hatch chiles and all other chiles are very attractive to moths. I keep my dried cooking chiles in large jars with screw on lids. When I have Ristras hanging for decoration I check them every few months and discard as soon as I see a moth. Some have lasted many years, others have not.

Joe, is there an update on getting your recipe collection? I'd love it too.

Lee

• acdonna
    14 years ago

Just finished putting up chile for the year this past weekend. I'm lucky, since Hatch chile is a staple at our house. Here is a side dish that my family loves.
    Calabacitas
    2 cups whole corn
    4 Tbs. oil
    1/2 chopped onion
    2 cups chopped chile
    1 glove minced garlic
    4 med. zuchinni squash - diced
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup water
    3/4 cup jack cheese

Cook corn in oil - about 2 minutes. Add onion, chile & garlic. Cook until onion in transparent. Add squash, salt, pepper, & water - cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Top with cheese.

Here is a picture of one batch of chile

{{gwi:1549494}}

Then dinner that night
    {{gwi:1549496}}

Nothing better than having a freezer full of chile.
    Donna

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gina, good job, I just peeled and froze mine for another day. It has been too hot here in my house to turn on anything other than the outside grill. acdonna, that recipe sounds like a good way to use up garden zucchini!

My batch was a bit too 'hot' for me, so I'll have to make a dish using them sparingly, if I want to enjoy them, LOL. Joe, I'm eying your quiche, but making it vegetarian/dairy instead of meat with soy substitutes.

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

I am growing Anaheim and jalapeno peppers this year.
    The Anaheims are hot and the jalapenos are very hot.
    First year my peppers have had so much heat.
    Thanks for all the great recipes!

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Let me figure out how I will offer ALL the recipes and I'll get back to you all.

FYI: I'm building a website and that's where I might put them. Soon (-ish).

Joe

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

STOP THE PRESSES (or roasters)

FWIW folks - I was doing my party shopping at TJs and needed a little bit of roasted chili's for Lori's Black Bean salad - didn't want to defrost a whole 1/2 lb. of too spicy hatches I had in my freezer.

Grabbed a can of the organic TJ's canned fire roasted chilis...guess which kind it was - yup! So for those of you who want to try Hatch, NM chilis - TJs has 'em (I just KNEW my batch tasted familiar, LOL!)

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Joe, that looks delicious, if I cut the chilies in half I could probably eat that, I'm such a light weight when it comes to heat.

The Southwestern Paella looks good too, I'm definitely trying these two out on Elery, who loves anything with a hot chili pepper of any kind.

That's why I canned bread and butter jalapenos over the weekend, I don't think I'm even brave enough to TASTE one.

Annie (the wuss)

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Annie (and all other wusses):

Keep in mind that I tweaked quite a few of the recipes I posted to make them amenable to jessy's 8 gazillion quarts of roasted Hatches.

Wherever one sees "green chili" in the recipe, one can sub "Ortgea" chilies (the "wuss" chilies sold in cans; and not a variety, blah, blah, blah). Or roast your own 'Anaheims'.

But then you'd have to make a recipe half your way and half Elery's way!

Joe

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Joe, could Elery just put the ever present Sriracha all over his and call it good? LOL

No, even better, I'll serve those bread and butter jalapenos with everything and let him bump up the heat to his heart's content....

Annie

• cherigw
    14 years ago

Yesterday I completed my first attempt at roasting and peeling a batch of Hatch chiles. I won't ever be afraid again. . .it was so easy!! And now I have a batch of Green Chile Stew (sort of comboed from The Pink Adobe and Santa Fe Cooking School recipes) almost ready on the stove. YUM!!