Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

How long will these foods keep - once opened or cooked?

18 years ago

I realize that I have so much uncertainty about how long pantry items (once opened) or prepared foods will keep - that I think I've been erring on the side of safety and throwing out too much food before it's gone bad.

Here are some of the foods I wonder about how long they'll keep in the refrigerator:

- home made Asian peanut sauce (made with natural unblanched peanut butter, canned coconut milk, lime juice, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, coriander). I have about a cup of this left over from grilled pork - and I hate to toss it. How long will this be good for in the fridge?

- canned coconut milk - the remaining milk after the can was opened

- canned chipotles in adobe sauce once it's been opened

- bread and butter pickles - once the bottle's been opened

- chicken broth - once the can/container's opened

- canned anchovies once opened

- canned tomato paste once opened

- jarred roasted red peppers

- frozen chicken breasts once thawed in the fridge - how long can they stay thawed in the fridge before cooking

- cooked chicken breasts

- fresh salsa of tomato, cilantro, lime juice

- yogurt sauce with lime juice, honey

- fresh chimchurri sauce - with parsley, mint or cilantro - and lime juice, garlic etc

- home made gazpacho (no cream)

- home made tomato soup (perhaps with a smidge of butter, sauted onions, fennel, etc)

- opened canned black beans (or red beans, or white beans)

Thanks for any guidance.

Lynn.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz