SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Makayla's sunflowers and Michigan Gardens

annie1992
14 years ago

Gardens seem to be a recurring theme, lately, so Makayla wanted everyone to see hers. She planted sunflowers, which are bigger than she is now, she's going to feed the birds all winter with her sunflowers.

Her pumpkins are there on the left, and they are coming along nicely. I let her plant a 60 foot row of pumpkins and a 60 foot row of sunflowers, so we're going to have to put up a sign that says "Makayla's Pumpkin Patch" and let her sell the darned things!

In my world, the tomatoes are doing well, but nothing like Ann T's. Most of them are this color:

Although I do have a few ripe Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes:

You can see I have a few cucumbers and Royal Burgundy beans as well as beets, the corn and kohlrabi are from Magic Land Farms, my local farm market:

Bud and The Monkey Princess helped me pick cucumbers, here they are with Destiny, a neighbor's daughter. Yeah, I seem to attract children with my gardening and my animals. I try to remind myself that it's a good thing when I grow impatient with them.

Bud and The Princess even helped me snap beans, I canned 11 pints of dilled beans and 6 quarts of "plain old beans", my first beans of the year:

My concord grapes are doing well, the kids see grape jelly in their future.

the cabbage is starting to make heads:

In spite of having the coldest July currently on record, my garden seems to be doing all right, a couple weeks late, but as long as we don't get an early frost, things will be fine.

Dad always told me that farming was like playing poker with God, that goes double for gardening.

Annie

Comments (30)