SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Need Bar cookie with fruit recipe

dgkritch
13 years ago

Does anyone have a great bar cookie recipe using fresh fruits?

I'm picturing a cookie type crust, fruit center and a crumbly and/or nutty topping.

Plusses: Oatmeal, whole wheat flour, low fat, low sugar.

But not required!!!

I want a basic recipe that I can fill with whatever fruit is available at the moment (berries, plums, peaches, etc.).

I'd like a bar cookie because these will mostly be made to share at work! Something folks can pick up and walk away with seems to work well.

TIA,

Deanna

Comments (11)

• caliloo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tosca Bars might do the trick for you

base:
    1 & 1/3 cups all purpose flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    8 tbsps (1 stick) butter, cold, cut into 8 pieces
    1 egg, separated
    preheat oven to 350F.
    lightly grease a metal pan with butter or line with parchment paper.
    place flour and sugar in a food processor, and process the mixture for 5 seconds.
    distribute the butter evenly over th eflour mixture, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 15 to 20 seconds.
    with the processor running, drop the egg yolk through the feed tube and process just until the dough comes together, 20 to 30 seconds.
    press the dough evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan and 1/2 inch up the sides. (beautiful tart press from the sunniest spot in the UK).
    using a pastry brush, glaze the dough all over with the egg white (or you can pour the egg white over the dough, tilt the pan so the white covers the dough completely, and pour off the excess.
    place the pan on the center rack of the oven and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. set the pan aside, but leave the oven on.
    filling:
    7 ozs. almond paste
    3 tbsps. sugar
    9 tbsps.(1 stick + 1 tbsp.) butter, at room temperature, cut into 9 pieces
    2 large eggs
    3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    3 tbsps. all purpose flour
    3/4 tsp. baking powder
    6 tbsps. raspberry preserves (i used Hero brand)
    place the almond paste and sugar in food process bowl and mix until it resembles coarse sand, 20 seconds.
    add the butter and process until evenly incorporated, 5 seconds.
    add the eggs and vanilla, and process until well mixed, 5 seconds more.
    add the flour and baking powder, process just until incorporated.
    spread the raspberry preserves over the short bread base. then gently pour and spread the almond mixture over that. return the pan to the center rack of the oven, and bake until the filling is set in the center, about 25 - 30 minutes. remove the pan from the oven and preheat the broiler.
    topping:
    3 tbsps. unsalted butter
    6 tbsps. sugar
    1 & 1/2 tbsps. milk
    1 & 1/2 tbsps. all purpose flour
    3/4 cup sliced almonds
    melt the butter in a small sauce pan over low heat. add the sugar, milk and flour, and bring to a simmer. stir constantly over medium-low heat for about 1 & 1/2 minutes. do not boil. remove the pan from the heat and stir in the almonds.
    pour the warm topping over the filling, spreading gently with a small sptula or a butter knife. broil the bars until golden, about 2 minutes. watch carefully!
    cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars with a sharp thin knife.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Here's one
    Oatmeal-Rhubarb Bars
    ====================
    1 cup All-purpose flour
    3/4 cup Oatmeal, uncooked
    1 cup Brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup Butter, unsalted, melted
    1 cup Sugar
    2 teaspoons Cornstarch
    1 cup Water
    1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
    4 cups Rhubarb
    . Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and butter until crumbly. Press 1/2
    into greased 9" pan. Add rhubarb, cut in 1/2" pieces. Combine sugar,
    cornstarch, water and vanilla; cook till thick and clear. Pour sauce
    over rhubarb. Top with other half crumb mixture. Bake at 350F for 45
    minutes

And another but no oatmeal
    Raspberry Bars
    2 1/2c all purpose flour
    1 c sugar
    1 c chopped pecans OR walnuts
    1 c butter, softened
    1 egg
    1 10 jar raspberry preserves
    Preheat oven to 350
    Grease a 9x13" baking pan. In a large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients except preserves. Beat at low speed until mixture is crumbly about 2-3 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 c of crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture into baking pan.
    Spread preserves to within 1/2" from edges of the unbaked crumb mixture. Crumble remaining crumb mix over preserves.
    Bake for 40-50 minutes or til lightly browned. Cool completely and cut into bars.

And another:
    CARIBBEAN BARS
    3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1-1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 eggs
    1 cup mashed banana
    2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    6 oz. butterscotch morsels
    1/2 cup chopped nuts
    Cream butter or margarine with brown sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Mix in mashed banana. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in butterscotch morsels and nuts. Spread in a greased 10x15-inch pan. Bake at 350° F. for 35 minutes. Cool and frost with a powdered sugar icing, if desired. Makes a large batch.
    Posted at MimiÂs Cyber-Kitchen by SandyOH 01/09/2000.

• Related Discussions

LOOKING for: Amazing Cookie recipe...fancy cookies

Q

Comments (29)
    These are excellent and quite pretty on a plate. Alexa *********************************************************** Holly Berry Cookies Servings: 12 Ingredients: 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 3/4 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup butter, chilled 1 egg 1/4 cup milk 2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam 2 cups confectioners' sugar 2 tablespoons milk 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup cinnamon red hot candies 4 drops green food coloring Directions: 1. In a large bowl combine the flour, white sugar, ground cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl beat the egg and 1/4 cup of milk. Add this to the crumb mixture until the dough is moistened. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). 3. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut with a 2 inch round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets. 4. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Once cool spread jam on half of the cookies then top each with another cookie. 5. To Make Glaze: Combine the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread glaze over the cookie and decorate with red cinnamon candy before the glaze is set. Let dry. Using a small new paintbrush and green food coloring, paint holly leaves on cookies.
    ...See More

Cookie recipe for cookie swap

Q

Comments (22)
    Have any of you tried Oreo Cookie Balls yet? My husband brought me one home that someone at his office made. It was so good! I plan to make them for our holiday party this year. They sound very easy to make. Only three ingredients and no baking. If any of you are familiar with chocolate wafer ice box cake these work on the same principle. 1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened 36 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups) 4 pkg. (4 oz. each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, broken into pieces, melted MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended. SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) balls. Freeze 10 min. Dip balls in melted chocolate; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan. REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm. Here is a link that might be useful: Oreo cookie balls
    ...See More

RECIPE: In a Jar Cookies-# 1--( long)

Q

Comments (1)
    These sound so yum, I want to make them all! What wonderful gifts ! Thanks Craftryn! Mary
    ...See More

RECIPE: looking for: gluten free cookie recipes (no nuts)

Q

Comments (1)
    http://www.theglutenfreelifestyle.com/Gluten-Free%2520Baking%2520Invitational/PDF/Winning%2520Recipes.pdf http://www.luanekohnke.com/wp-content/upLoads/2010/10/Gluten_Free_Cookies.pdf http://www.frugalskills.com/pdf/Gluten-Free-Cookie-Recipes-by-Frugal-Skills.pdf from a web search, never tested myself
    ...See More
  • User
    13 years ago

This one is always well received.

Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Blueberry Oatmeal Squares
    =========================
    Source: Canadian Living Magazine August 2007

2-1/2 cups rolled oats (NOT Instant)
    1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon grated orange rind
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup cold butter, cubed

Filling

3 cups fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup orange juice
    4 tsp. cornstarch

Filling Directions:

In saucepan, bring blueberries, sugar and orange juice to boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Whisk constarch with 2 tablespoons water; whisk into blueberries and boil, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Place plastic wrap directly on surface and refrigerate until cool, about one hour.

In a large bowl, whisk together oats, flour, sugar, orange rind and salt; with pastry blender, cut in butter until coarse crumbs. Press half into 8 inch square parchment paper-lined metal cake pan; spread with blueberry filling. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture, pressing lightly.

Bake in centre of 350°F oven until light golden, about 45 minutes. Let cool on rack before cutting into squares.

Make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.

• cookebook
    13 years ago

This one from Smitten Kitchen is always well received.

• User
    13 years ago

I found the recipe for those same Blueberry Crumb Bars on another blog and made them recently. I added a little cream cheese to the mix. They were good, but I prefer the Canadian Living recipe mainly because I love the oatmeal in the crust.

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

Ive also made these with fresh peaches and apricots. You can vary the type of preserves. I like orange marmalade with the apricots.

ROSY PLUM STREUSEL SQUARES

1 3/4 cups oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
    1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)

FILLING:

2 cups thinly sliced fresh plums (3-4 medium)
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1 Tbs. flour
    1/3 cup raspberry preserves

Heat oven to 375 degrees. For crust and streusel, combine first 4 ingredients; mix well. Add combined butter and almond extract, mixing until moistened. Reserve 1 1/2 cups; set aside. Press remaining oat mixture onto bottom of 9 X 9 inch square baking pan. Bake 15 minutes.

For filling, combine plums, sugar, and flour. Stir in preserves. Spread onto crust within 1/2 inch of edge Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. 16 bars

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I just happen to have rhubarb in the fridge, blueberries in the freezer, plums and nectarines on the counter.

Now the hard part will be deciding which one to try first!
    I'm keeping the whole thread as they all sound wonderful!

D'ya think I might need to eat my lunch now? I may be just really hungry...........NAH! they all look good!!

Deanna

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

These are the ones I make...I use different jams...but you could certainly use some fruit too..

1/2 c brown sugar, scant and not packed
    1 c Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
    1/4 t baking soda
    1/8 t salt
    1 c rolled oats
    1/2 c butter, softened
    3/4 jam

350F 8" square, buttered

Combine dry ingredients. Rub in butter to make crumbs. Press 2 cups into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam withing 1/4" of the edge. Sprinkle remaining crumb over the top, lightly pressing in.. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.

I've used Jessy's Vanilla Fig preserves...tasted very Fig Newton like.
    I've used the Brown Sugar Rum Peach preserves and I've used raspberry freezer jam.
    But I can't see why you couldn't dice up and use whatever fruit you'd like.

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Here is another from my To Try file. I guess that means I should try it, huh? LOL

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

1-1/2 c quick oats
    1 c flour
    3/4 granulated sugar
    3/4 c butter
    1-1/2 c rhubarb, chopped
    1/3 c granulated sugar
    1/4 c water
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    2 c chopped fresh strawberries
    1 recipe Ginger Icing (follows)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 8x8 baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Coat foil with non-stick cooking spray.

In a bowl, stir together oats, flour and 3/4 c sugar. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1/2 c of mixture and set aside. Press remaining mixture in the bottom of prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes.

In a medium saucepan combine rhubarb, 1/3 c sugar, water and ginger. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes until filling is thick and bubbly. Stir in chopped strawberries. Remove 1/2 c filling, cover and set aside. Carefully spoon remaining filling over hot baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture, pressing lightly into rhubarb filling.

Bake 30-35 minutes more or until top is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool in pan on wire rack. Lift from pan using foil and carefully pull foil away from sides. Cut into bars. Top each with a spoonful of reserved filling. Drizzle with Ginger Icing just before serving. (Makes 16 bars)

Ginger Icing
    1/4 c powdered sugar
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    3-4 tsp orange juice
    In small bowl stir togethe powdered sugar, ginger and just enough orange juice to make of drizzling consistency.
    (Makes 1/4 c icing)

These next two don't meet all of your healthy ingredient requirements but they are T & T and darn good!

Raspberry Cream Cheese Bars
    source:Land O Lakes Baking Recipe Collection

Crust:
    1/2 c butter, softened
    1/3 c sugar
    1-1/2 c flour
    Topping:
    3 8oz packages cream cheese, softened
    3/4 c sugar
    2T cornstarch
    3 eggs
    3/4 tsp almond extract
    1 c fresh or frozen raspberries
    1/4 s cliced almonds

Preheat oven to 35oF. Combine butter and 1/3 c sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed scraping bowl often until creamy. Reduce speed to low and add flour. Beat until well mixed.

Press mixture onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9 pan. Bake 12-16 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
    Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, 3/4 c sugar and cornstarch in large bowl. Beat at medium speed scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and almond extract, continue beating until well mixed.
    Sprinkle raspberries over partially baked crust. Pour cream cheese mixture over the berries, sprinkle with almonds. Bake 20-25 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely (ast least 1 hour). Refrigerate bars at least 2 hours before cutting.
    **If using frozen raspberries, completely thaw and drain on paper towels before using.

Danish Apple Bars

2-1/ c flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 c shortening
    1 egg , separated
    Milk
    1 c corn flakes
    4 large cooking apples, peeled & sliced
    1c sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

Blend thoroughly the four, salt and shortening. Combine egg yolk with enough milk to make 2/3 cup of liquid.
    Add egg/milk to flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are just moistened. Divide dough in half, roll out one dough portion to 12x17 and place on jelly roll pan.
    Sprinkle with corn flakes, top with apples. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over apples.
    Roll out remaining dough to 12 x 17 and place on top of papples. Beat egg white until stiff, brush over top of dough. Bake 1 hour at 400F

Glaze:
    1 c powdered sugar
    1 T water
    ½ tsp vanilla

Mix thoroughly and drizzle over cooled bars. Cut into squares and serve.

Linda

• pat_t
    13 years ago

I have no clue where I got this recipe!

SWEET CHERRY BARS

1-1/2 cups (12 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
    1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 cups pitted and halved fresh sweet cherries
    1/3 cup sliced almonds

Put butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
    Grease the sides and bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
    Combine flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add to butter mixture; beat 3 to 4 minutes, or until smooth batter forms. Spread half the batter in prepared pan. Scatter cherry halves over batter. Place spoonfuls of remaining batter on top of cherries; gently spread to cover fruit. Sprinkle almonds on top.
    Bake in a preheated 350° F. oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until wooden pick or skewer inserted in middle comes out clean. Makes 16 bars.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Man! This is turning out like Lpinks quest for a great oatmeal cookie (how's that going, BTW?).

I love it!
    Bar cookies filled with fruit seem a little less guilty to me, but then I've been known to fool myself before.....

:-)

Deanna