SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Your Opinion...Mixing Metal Finishes on Lighting Hardware

amck2
15 years ago

I posted recently asking for help choosing a floor lamp for the LR in my lake cottage. The reply I received linked me to Restoration Hardware showing a library lamp that I really like. The poster suggested the bronze finish.

My LR, DR & kitchen are connected in an open floor plan. The schoolhouse lights over my kitchen island are a focal point of the space. They have brushed nickel hardware, as do the lighting fixtures in the DR and the adjoining mudroom. There is no bronze or brass in the house, though I do have black metal finishes on my bedroom lamps.

The lamp will be near a black iron parlor stove w/ nickel trim. On the one hand, I think the bronze would look nice, but I have always thought that while you can mix either white based metals (chrome, nickel, pewter) in a room, or yellow based metals (brass, bronze) in a room, you shouldn't have both.

Am I harboring outdated ideas? Or should I get the lamp in the antique nickel finish (which is also offered)? Would love to know your thoughts.

Comment (1)