SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

new problem - need out-of-the-box solutions!

worldmom
13 years ago

In the early 90s, previous homeowners remodeled our 2nd floor main bath. To accommodate the new plumbing, they installed a new ceiling in the kitchen, dropping it from 10' to 8'. Our plan was to rip out the lowered ceiling and have the plumbing for the bath above reconfigured to allow for a 9.5' ceiling, and that plan had been proceeding without any obstacles until today. :o( Our contractor discovered that a couple of the pipes that run above our kitchen windows can't be run down into the adjacent wall as we'd been planning because there isn't enough room. He asked if we'd be OK running a soffit across the top of the windows to hide the pipes, and I wanted to cry. I hate soffits and I was so looking forward to having space above the windows.

I tried to show the rough location of the pipes in the drawing below. It's only in the corner to the right of the windows that there is a problem. Those who have seen this drawing before may remember that we were already struggling with what to put on this short section of wall (if anything), and now the problem is lots worse. I do NOT want a soffit to stretch all the way across the window wall, but something has to hide those pipes.

The cabs on our other walls are stacked (see second pic), so I thought maybe we could put a stacked cabinet there, but with a top cab that doesn't actually open. The problem is that it makes for a very tall and skinny cabinet that is visually out of balance with the hutch on the other side of the window. As much as I hate soffits, I also thought maybe we could have a soffit just the size of the cabinet below it on that wall. The soffit would be the same color as the wall so maybe it might not be so obvious? Or, I've even thought about having them fur out the abutting wall a couple of inches to make room for the pipes to go straight down. Since the cabinetry surrounding the freezer goes floor-to-ceiling, I think this wouldn't really be noticeable - just a nuisance for the contractor and a pain for me to lose a bit of counter space.

Hopefully I've written my ideas clearly enough that they make sense, because I really need some feedback! If you have any brilliant solutions to this problems, I'd love to hear them! :o)

From Last Import
From Last Import

Comments (58)