SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gideonsmom

Super cheap beach house kitchen reno-any thoughts?

gideonsmom
15 years ago

My parents are giving us the use of their old little ranch house at the beach that's been rented out for 28 years. We're so excited, but the house needs MAJOR work. Pretty much a whole new kitchen and bathrooms. Luckily, it's all small and it's a vacation house. We need to do it on a small budget and we are willing to do DIY some of it.

http://baybeebeachhouse.blogspot.com/2009/01/before-kitchen.html

Does anyone have any thoughts of the layout of this weird kitchen? I think I'd like to use IKEA cabinets. The weirdest thing is that there's space for a washer and a dryer, but they are on opposite ends of the kitchen. I don't know if that's a really expensive thing to change the plumbing and/or electric to put them in one place for a stackable unit, which we could then close in like a closet.

I was wondering whether it would make sense to tear down the wall that the fridge and stove are on to open up the space to the living room. I don't know if you can tell the layout from the pictures, but the kitchen is not really a galley or an L shaped. The countertops and appliances are on two adjacent walls with the walkway right in the middle.

There is a window in the kitchen, but the house has baseboard heating and window unit ACs so I don't think we can block it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (6)